Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do the 49ers have the top safety combo in the NFL?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrscottso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Do the 49ers have the top safety combo in the NFL? Reply with quote

http://49ersnews.com/2012/09/do-the-49ers-have-the-top-safety-combo-in-the-nfl/

Quote:
It’s no secret that I focus on DB play when watching tape. I look at footwork, range, eyes, tackling and angles. The key techniques you need to be a productive player in the secondary.

And in today’s NFL, you better have two safeties in the backend that can get off the numbers in Cover 2, play the deep middle of the field, walk down over a slot, get hands on a TE and tackle in the open field.

That’s why I have no problem calling 49ers’ safeties Donte Whitner and Dashon Goldson the best combo I’ve studied on tape

Quote:
But let’s get away from scheme for a minute here, because the main reason these two safeties on the west coast stand out from my perspective is the physical brand of football they bring to the stadium. They hit. And they hit with power. Both Whitner and Goldson bring their pads and legs on contact.

This is why Goldson should be kept imo.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give Goldson something, he's probably the best safety I've seen in recent memory that can start a play 20 yards off the line and tackle a RB at the line. Most safeties who excel in run support play down in the box. Goldson excels shooting from way deep. He's a sniper.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without giving this much thought, I'd say we have a top 5 (and probably top 2-3) safety tandem. Any more specific rigidness to ranking them is where my interest fades. Very good is very good... I leave the "precision rankings" to others to fight over.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some respects, yes, I would agree with this. However, coverage is where some other team's tandem could trump ours... As far as reading a play and reacting or tackling and hitting, creating turnovers, ours could be the best. Coverage is another story, IMO.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ronnie Lott, who knows something about hard-hitting defensive backs, said the 49ers should wrap up Dashon Goldson and hold on tight. Goldson could become an unrestricted free agent after this season, a possibility that concerns the 49ers' Pro Football Hall of Famer. "I'm surprised that he doesn't have a long-term contract," Lott told this newspaper. "He's an asset that you don't want to get away because he does everything the right way. He has all the intangibles you want on your team." After this season, the 49ers could again slap the franchise tag on Goldson, this time for 120 percent of his 2012 salary. That would translate to a one-year, $7.45 million deal. If the 49ers decide not to use the tag, the FS would be eligible for UFA. Lott is crossing his fingers that -- this time -- the rangy FS decides just to stay put.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_21594576/dashon-goldsons-biggest-fan-49ers-great-ronnie-lott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie Lott must be smoking crack. Dashon Goldson suxors!!!!!!!!!!1!111!! Expendabuhl!!!

Beast
mrscottso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Quote:
Ronnie Lott, who knows something about hard-hitting defensive backs, said the 49ers should wrap up Dashon Goldson and hold on tight. Goldson could become an unrestricted free agent after this season, a possibility that concerns the 49ers' Pro Football Hall of Famer. "I'm surprised that he doesn't have a long-term contract," Lott told this newspaper. "He's an asset that you don't want to get away because he does everything the right way. He has all the intangibles you want on your team." After this season, the 49ers could again slap the franchise tag on Goldson, this time for 120 percent of his 2012 salary. That would translate to a one-year, $7.45 million deal. If the 49ers decide not to use the tag, the FS would be eligible for UFA. Lott is crossing his fingers that -- this time -- the rangy FS decides just to stay put.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_21594576/dashon-goldsons-biggest-fan-49ers-great-ronnie-lott

Can we lock him up during the year or no? We would be foolish not to.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Quote:

Can we lock him up during the year or no? We would be foolish not to.

Can't, I think.

xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i recall once a player signs their Franchise Tag tender they can not sign a new deal until years end.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersnews is a trashy site. I don't like them.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXFlyteXx wrote:
if i recall once a player signs their Franchise Tag tender they can not sign a new deal until years end.
If he would have signed it by a certain time we would've been able to. Now we have to wait until the season is over in February.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0insnap wrote:
Ronnie Lott must be smoking crack. Dashon Goldson suxors!!!!!!!!!!1!111!! Expendabuhl!!!

Why do you always do this? Laughing

new sig... sorry alex
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say against the run, yes. Goldson is huge in that. Both are solid tacklers and can lay the wood. In coverage, they are probably average at best. Dashon is a bit of a ball hawk to be sure, but his actual coverage skills leave something to be desired

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
c0insnap wrote:

Why do you always do this? Laughing

Hint: sounds like cut-burt. Laughing

... and no, we can't engage in contract talks till after the year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
xXFlyteXx wrote:
If he would have signed it by a certain time we would've been able to. Now we have to wait until the season is over in February.

No, when he was designated with the franchise tag, he didn't have to sign it right away, and he could try to negotiate a long-term contract until july 15th, I think. Had he signed his tender earlier, he wouldn't have had the ability to negotiate a long term deal, because players (and teams) aren,t allowed to sign two contracts (unless one has been duely terminated) in the same year. And past the july 15th date, Goldson wasn't allowed to sign anything but his franchise tender. So his only two choices were to sign the tender or hold out. But Flyte was right, if he had signed his tender in, say, march, Goldson wouldn't have been allowed to bargain a new multi year deal until next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: