Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Healing Mendenhall impresses in practice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Healing Mendenhall impresses in practice Reply with quote

Healing Mendenhall impresses in practice

Hopefully he plays this week the Steelers need his playmaking ability. Redman is struggling and Dwyer been doing the best with the limited amount of carries. It's gonna be a sight to see with that trio of big body RBs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redman isnt struggling..our run blocking is. Cant blame the running backs when they are getting hit immediately.

Still, it will be interesting to see how Mendy will be used in this new offense.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Redman isnt struggling..our run blocking is. Cant blame the running backs when they are getting hit immediately.

Still, it will be interesting to see how Mendy will be used in this new offense.

How is our run blocking worse than last year though? I thought everyone was proclaiming how they wish Mendy could run behind this offensive line. But the RB's had more success last year running the football. I doubt it was the Arians play calling.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest, I've been watching the all-22 and Redman is very hesitant and is dancing more. He's missing some pretty open holes and just demonstrates poor vision and a lack of patience. I do think a lot of it is tied to his gimpiness as of late.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
to be honest, I've been watching the all-22 and Redman is very hesitant and is dancing more. He's missing some pretty open holes and just demonstrates poor vision and a lack of patience. I do think a lot of it is tied to his gimpiness as of late.

Do you think as the "feature back", these RB's just try to do it all? He's looking for the big play, instead of running like he always has in being patience, and going north-south.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Redman isn't running with any authority and Dwyer is gaining yards behind the same unit. Dwyer has 3 less carries and 26 more yards behind the current OL. I think it's Redman!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Redman isn't running with any authority and Dwyer is gaining yards behind the same unit. Dwyer has 3 less carries and 26 more yards behind the current OL. I think it's Redman!

Meh...2 games is a pretty small sample size, IMO.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I have no faith in any of our backs to put us in favorable down and distance early in a sequence nor faith in any of them in SY either.

I'm sure it is partially the OL, maybe even mostly, but OL issues aside, I know that when I watch some of the more productive backs in the league...they look very different from our stable.

Comparatively speaking, right now our guys show minimal acceleration, little power, and are slow at the top end. Maybe it's a health issue with Red's hip, Batch's ACL, and Dwyer's toe being considered but, to date, even with the OL situation/sample size issue as it is, the RB's aren't passing the eyeball test for me.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

How is our run blocking worse than last year though? I thought everyone was proclaiming how they wish Mendy could run behind this offensive line. But the RB's had more success last year running the football. I doubt it was the Arians play calling.

Its not so much that our run blocking is worse as much as it is they are being asked to play differently under Haley. They are being asked to hold blocks longer and aHaley is making Redman run draws and plays to the outside much more than he should. Our backs are getting hit in the backfield constantly.

Ive like Haley's playcalling in the passing game, but he seems to think our OLineman are more athletic than they are. Neither Colon or Foster are good pullers, Pouncey is atheletic but always appears overmatched in the run game, and Max Starks is so up and down.

Aside from Mo, our current line is entirely consistent of maulers and Redman is a pure north/south type of back. We should be running right at defenses with our line and Redman, not around them.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

LMAO....Dwyer isnt getting much on the ground either.

Haley is having Redman run outside too much.

But no..youre right. Its Redman's fault that defenders are getting to him as soon as he touches the ball and that Haley's is calling plays that make him run sideways instead of downhill.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'd love to see Mendenhall back. He'll make a difference. I'm not too worried about Redman and Dwyer though, I think they've done a good job. Having Mendenhall back is just a bonus IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Its not so much that our run blocking is worse as much as it is they are being asked to play differently under Haley. They are being asked to hold blocks longer and aHaley is making Redman run draws and plays to the outside much more than he should. Our backs are getting hit in the backfield constantly.

Ive like Haley's playcalling in the passing game, but he seems to think our OLineman are more athletic than they are. Neither Colon or Foster are good pullers, Pouncey is atheletic but always appears overmatched in the run game, and Max Starks is so up and down.

Aside from Mo, our current line is entirely consistent of maulers and Redman is a pure north/south type of back. We should be running right at defenses with our line and Redman, not around them.

Having though about it, you seem to be describing our offensive running to a T so far. I think the more Haley gets used to our offenses skill set, the better he'll be at calling plays. Not sure what's making him think about Redman doing all these outside runs, but hopefully, we see a change this week.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

But no..youre right. Its Redman's fault that defenders are getting to him as soon as he touches the ball and that Haley's is calling plays that make him run sideways instead of downhill.

43M you were the same poster discrediting Mendy for struggling behind the OL and praising Redman for doing what some said was considered better.

Mendy is far better overally than any other back on the roster. I believe he'll prove how great he is once he gets back on the field.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

43M you were the same poster discrediting Mendy for struggling behind the OL and praising Redman for doing what some said was considered better.

Mendy is far better overally than any other back on the roster. I believe he'll prove how great he is once he gets back on the field.

Where can you prove he is better overally (not a word) than Redman? I agree he has more talent than Redman, but does he use that talent very effectively, the past couple years? I think not.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:

yeah, I felt the same way. He never really killed Mendy but rarely gave him Any praise. It was an ironic post IMO.

I think when Mendy comes back he isn't going to be 100%. I'm not sure how effective he will be this year. Next year is a contract year. They'll have two choices.

1. Sign him to a new contract
2. Or Let him walk

I'm thinking he'll be walking and in the first 4 rounds a RB will be taken. Then they can keep Redman as restricted Fa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: