Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

An article destroying Marty Hurney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grange90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: An article destroying Marty Hurney Reply with quote

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8406098/the-roster-moves-made-panthers-gm-incompetent-best

Mostly talks about how Hurney gives out bad contracts and trade future 1st. I like to see what you guys think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely think Hurney wants the Panthers win as much as anyone. But some things are hard to ignore, such at the Armanti trade or E. Brown. But the bottom line is that the draft is never a guaranteed thing. Otah was a great draft pick and if he wasn't so... unfortunate with his knee or his lack of conditioning this offensive line would be monsterous.

My concern is free agency. We have routinely missed out on good free agents because of our philosophy. I believe in building through the draft as much as Marty does, but he has routinely ignored the DT spot for a while.

Dwan Edwards and Ron Edwards are good DT's but how long do you think they are going to last? How long can we expect to get away with Nakamura at FS?

I don't think we have many holes at the starting positions, but we need depth. Next years draft needs to address FS and DE. We absolutely have to upgrade the pass rush, it's just not good enough to compete.

It also has to do with the coaching. We have the weapons on offense to beat anyone. But we need to get back to more traditional playcalling. The read option isn't going to work on a defense like the Giants.

I hated the Delhomme extension but we were between a rock and hard place because we were still trying to get Peppers back.

If we can get a good FS and a good tweener DT/DE our defense will sky rocket. I think we do currently have good players on the defensive line but they are either too inexperienced or underachieving. It is frustrating to watch.
Moody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's completely true and I wish it could be sent to everyone in the front office.

Everything about his personell decisions seems to be awful and I'm starting to see Rivera in that light.

Quote:
The Panthers GM seems more interested in keeping his job than in actually winning football games

There are major agency problems with this type of situation where the agent doesn't have to worry about their own performance. Richardson wouldn't let a manager of a mutual fund throw his investment in a trashcan and burn it, so why does he let Hurney do it on a national stage?

Carolina is a small market, I really don't think they can afford to keep someone like this around any longer. I don't know how the season will end. The team is turning into Jekyll and Hyde, and to me that says it's going to be an average season. I hope it's not "average enough" for Hurney to keep his job.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
It's completely true and I wish it could be sent to everyone in the front office.

Everything about his personell decisions seems to be awful and I'm starting to see Rivera in that light.

Quote:
The Panthers GM seems more interested in keeping his job than in actually winning football games

There are major agency problems with this type of situation where the agent doesn't have to worry about their own performance. Richardson wouldn't let a manager of a mutual fund throw his investment in a trashcan and burn it, so why does he let Hurney do it on a national stage?

Carolina is a small market, I really don't think they can afford to keep someone like this around any longer. I don't know how the season will end. The team is turning into Jekyll and Hyde, and to me that says it's going to be an average season. I hope it's not "average enough" for Hurney to keep his job.

Couldn't agree more. It's clear to me that Hurney needs to go. I don't care if he truly IS trying to win, he's just not done well in the last 5 years. Way too many draft day idiotic moves and re-signing and overpaying guys.

I think this article is pretty eye opening to the reality of the state of this team.

This wasn't mentioned, but I personally have had a problem with us drafting injured players. Brandon Hogan has hardly set foot on the field and it looks like he may never. Pilhares was useless his first season, recovering from injury. Why draft guys that are injured with ACL tears when there's plenty of healthy talent in the draft?

And the Armanti pick, I don't even know if words can describe how idiotic that was. I feel like Hurney lost a bet with someone, and thats why we drafted him. Guy would have gone in the 7th round if not for us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilares wasn't hurt last season...

and armanti edwards was going to be drafted by the colts in the 3rd. polian said so himself.

anyway, hurney is average. i'm not sure how you can bash some of his moves (most of the 2011 off-season). but stuff like armanti/everette and the delhomme extension are bad. TD and dwill shouldn't have gotten all that money (though its a moot point i guess because we had an injury clause in there to save us from TD's deal and d-will's contract is essentially paid off when this season is over).

whoever wrote that also said we should have gotten emmanuel sanders instead of brandon lafell. lmao. and that cam fell into his lap even though cam is probably the most bashed pick of all-time.

i said this elsewhere, but last night is not a game to base long term decisions on. hurney has built a talented team, though the problem is that it is very top heavy. depth is a question.

but remember how much we all loved our off-season just three weeks ago? we were improving ST with colin jones and kenny onatolu, keek was going to turn our LB corps into a great thing, louis murphy was going to be a legitimate #3 after this good pre-season, mike tolbert's gonna be a big weapon, etc... the problem is execution. we don't take opportunities given to us. we had three missed picks last night. cam constantly went for the big play instead of checking down (along with throwing into triple coverage for whatever reason). smitty and olsen missed blocks that could have sprung big runs. charles johnson had two missed sacks where he got a hand on eli, beason (with a sore shoulder) had some missed tackles which led to big runs... we just need to finish plays.

it isn't on hurney as far as i'm concerned. this is more on the coaches and the players not reaching their full potential. we saw the saints game. we saw some of our wins last season. we've seen beason and TD and stew play at 100%. we are capable of doing better than this and succeeding in all facets of the game. it just isn't happening for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
pilares wasn't hurt last season...

and armanti edwards was going to be drafted by the colts in the 3rd. polian said so himself.

anyway, hurney is average. i'm not sure how you can bash some of his moves (most of the 2011 off-season). but stuff like armanti/everette and the delhomme extension are bad. TD and dwill shouldn't have gotten all that money (though its a moot point i guess because we had an injury clause in there to save us from TD's deal and d-will's contract is essentially paid off when this season is over).

whoever wrote that also said we should have gotten emmanuel sanders instead of brandon lafell. lmao. and that cam fell into his lap even though cam is probably the most bashed pick of all-time.

i said this elsewhere, but last night is not a game to base long term decisions on. hurney has built a talented team, though the problem is that it is very top heavy. depth is a question.

but remember how much we all loved our off-season just three weeks ago? we were improving ST with colin jones and kenny onatolu, keek was going to turn our LB corps into a great thing, louis murphy was going to be a legitimate #3 after this good pre-season, mike tolbert's gonna be a big weapon, etc... the problem is execution. we don't take opportunities given to us. we had three missed picks last night. cam constantly went for the big play instead of checking down (along with throwing into triple coverage for whatever reason). smitty and olsen missed blocks that could have sprung big runs. charles johnson had two missed sacks where he got a hand on eli, beason (with a sore shoulder) had some missed tackles which led to big runs... we just need to finish plays.

it isn't on hurney as far as i'm concerned. this is more on the coaches and the players not reaching their full potential. we saw the saints game. we saw some of our wins last season. we've seen beason and TD and stew play at 100%. we are capable of doing better than this and succeeding in all facets of the game. it just isn't happening for whatever reason.

I agree on everything except TD and Williams. Well said.
Peppers90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was coming here to post this.

As most of you know I've always been a little pro-hurney, but BB brings up some great points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's no doubting hurney has made some bone headed moves that i absolutely hated (and still hate) but he has had some successes. He's drafted khalil, j stew, beason, d will, cam, lafell, TD (who is a stud when not rehabbing) and otah would've been solid if not for his knee issues. But there have been several head scratchers as well. in the end i think he evens out as average. But i think our problem right now is execution. We got the players but they jsut aren't performing up to standards. And that i blame on the coaching staff

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
rjkilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not a fan of hurney and i think he should have been fired by now. that being said this team has a lot of talent and it's not martys fault they keep falling flat every year

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, there is a lot of talent on this team that went to the playoffs in 2008-2009 season. The talent that Hurney drafted acquired. Since that playoff run, a lot of the positions have been upgraded, such as QB, WR, LB.

If we want to point the finger at the recent failures of the Panthers, we need to look at coaching.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Hurney per say, but our problem is coaching.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: