Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alex Smith: Star Quarterback
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeebs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Alex Smith: Star Quarterback Reply with quote

This is the current marque article on nfl.com. Its a decent read. Essentially another 'time to wake up, public' article with some good quotes and stats mixed in.

Quote:
Willis then gave my favorite Alex Smith quote ever when he dropped, "He has a silent but deadly swag."

Quote:
You call Smith a game manager. I call him a star who makes plays and sets the tempo and leads. The silent but deadly swag can come up and bite you. If you don't believe me, ask some of the quarterbacks with the gaudy stats who have recently lost to Smith. They'd advise you to stop overlooking him, too.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064272/article/alex-smith-is-a-star-quarterback-three-upset-picks-for-week-3?module=HP11_cp
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep... it's a good one indeed. Smile

Quote:
"Alex Smith is our guy," Willis said. "We believe in him. He doesn't go outside the box. He exists to win. If it is best for him to throw for 300 yards, that's what he will do. If the best option is a check down, he will. He doesn't get caught up in statistics like other quarterbacks. That man has been through a lot. It is a blessing to see this. I truly admire him. Our team admires him. He loves a challenge."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swag isn't a word that you'd associate with Alex in years past, but it certainly is this year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fantasy football reference. I wanted to post this article earlier but was busy at work. Work, what a waste of time I tell you. Laughing

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
GoLdRuSh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I love the fantasy football reference. I wanted to post this article earlier but was busy at work. Work, what a waste of time I tell you. Laughing

Lmao while at work.

And yes this was definitely a nice read. I'm also hating how people in SD are jumping on the ASmith wagon right now. Most people only recognized Reggie as the only big time player from the 619.

It's always like this we any player who turns it around, but I'm bitter because people never game ASmith credit. He was a product of Bush at the HS level, a product of Meyer in college, and last year a product of JH.

/rant
mrscottso

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Smith persevered through the Mike Singletary insanity

lol

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I didn't particularly care for was the video where Darren Sharper compared him to Trent Dilfer. I'm tired of that comparison and feel that it is no longer applicable to Alex. It has been in years past, but I think that really went out the window in the Saints game last year.

I don't care that Alex doesn't throw too many passes. The offense hasn't had any problems moving the ball, so I don't care if that's done with a 14 play drive or a 4 play drive. There is nothing wrong with setting the stage for your receivers to catch and run with the ball. He's a smart quarterback and doesn't like to gamble; there is more than one way to skin a cat and there's more than one way to be a very good quarterback.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
The only thing I didn't particularly care for was the video where Darren Sharper compared him to Trent Dilfer. I'm tired of that comparison and feel that it is no longer applicable to Alex. It has been in years past, but I think that really went out the window in the Saints game last year.

I don't care that Alex doesn't throw too many passes. The offense hasn't had any problems moving the ball, so I don't care if that's done with a 14 play drive or a 4 play drive. There is nothing wrong with setting the stage for your receivers to catch and run with the ball. He's a smart quarterback and doesn't like to gamble; there is more than one way to skin a cat and there's more than one way to be a very good quarterback.

That annoyed me as well! Dilfer could be termed a game manager, which is the reason I don't like the comparison. I like Trent just fine--think he is a very good analyst/commentator--but he was more of a game manager than most other QBs. Rarely was he "the reason" for winning a game...Alex has been that now repeatedly.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get some of the Game Manager talk, but man... Dilfer's numbers in his SB year?

12 TDs / 11 INTs --- 59.3% completion -- 1,502 yds and a 76.6 QBR.

C'mon now... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only two games...but Alex is #2 in QBR and #2 in td's. The only person ahead of him is Matt Ryan who played the Chiefs who are averaging 80 points given up a game (ish) and the Broncos who had 4 turnovers. It has only been two games, but has Alex been the best QB during this stretch? Shocked
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poster4613 wrote:
It's only two games...but Alex is #2 in QBR and #2 in td's. The only person ahead of him is Matt Ryan who played the Chiefs who are averaging 80 points given up a game (ish) and the Broncos who had 4 turnovers. It has only been two games, but has Alex been the best QB during this stretch? Shocked

To be fair, we've gone against the Packers, who gave up the most pass yards ever last year, and the Lions, whos pass defense is almost equally as bad and they were missing starters in their secondary. Im excited about Alex's play so far as well, but if you're gonna knock Ryan for playing against bad defenses its only fair to look back at the defenses we've faced as well.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The packers turned around and had an amazing defensive game against a more highly touted passing offense than ours the next week. The are the type of offense that gives up a lot of yards in effort to create more turnovers. We moved the ball effectively (5 consecutive scoring drives... I can't remember the last time that happened) and had 0 turnovers.

The point about Detroit secondary is valid, but you beat the competition in front of you.
Ataal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
Poster4613 wrote:

To be fair, we've gone against the Packers, who gave up the most pass yards ever last year, and the Lions, whos pass defense is almost equally as bad and they were missing starters in their secondary. Im excited about Alex's play so far as well, but if you're gonna knock Ryan for playing against bad defenses its only fair to look back at the defenses we've faced as well.

While I agree with your premise, the Packers defense has stepped it up quite a bit from last year.

Packers defense so far this year:

1st in sacks
2nd in passing
5th in total yards
6th in interceptions
8th in scoring
27th in rushing

49ers defense so far this year:

6th in rushing
9th in scoring
11th in total yards
13th in sacks
13th in interceptions
19th in passing

Granted, this is after week 2, but on paper, their defense is better than ours by a long shot so far. Heck, even the Lions defense is doing better so far. Obviously, once we start playing teams that weren't top 5 offenses last year, our numbers will improve, but let's not act like we've played soft defenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
The packers turned around and had an amazing defensive game against a more highly touted passing offense than ours the next week. The are the type of offense that gives up a lot of yards in effort to create more turnovers. We moved the ball effectively (5 consecutive scoring drives... I can't remember the last time that happened) and had 0 turnovers.

The point about Detroit secondary is valid, but you beat the competition in front of you.

I couldn't agree more. That Packer D was'n't nearly as bad as their yards given up would indicate. Im just saying if you're gonna knock Ryan for beating up on a bad Chiefs defense to try and raise Alex's stock you gotta look at it fairly. I have no doubt Alex will be able to do enough to win in close games against good defenses. He just hasn't really done it yet this year.

Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
Poster4613 wrote:

While I agree with your premise, the Packers defense has steppIed it up quite a bit from last year.

Packers defense so far this year:

1st in sacks
2nd in passing
5th in total yards
6th in interceptions
8th in scoring
27th in rushing

49ers defense so far this year:

6th in rushing
9th in scoring
11th in total yards
13th in sacks
13th in interceptions
19th in passing

Granted, this is after week 2, but on paper, their defense is better than ours by a long shot so far. Heck, even the Lions defense is doing better so far. Obviously, once we start playing teams that weren't top 5 offenses last year, our numbers will improve, but let's not act like we've played soft defenses.

Its been 2 games man. The Packers biggest additions to their defense are a couple of rookies who were pretty much invisible when we played them. In their second game thsy faced the interception machine Jay Cutler and the human turnstyle Jamarcus Webb. Its not that surprising they're near tops in the league in Sacks and Picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: