Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DeMarcus Van Dyke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: DeMarcus Van Dyke Reply with quote

Looks pretty good as a gunner, moved around alott a "the U" wonder if any think he would make a good FS/SS.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think he is willing to take on RBs and TEs face up. Give him 30lbs and the mentality of Ryan Clark and you may have a monster.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be able to tackle better. Definitely not SS. I like Allen as potential S.

Gotta say though he's earning his keep on ST.

...you have a forum resume?
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news, thanks for the updates guys.

Kind of makes you wonder why the Raiders cut him at all...

Yeah, he's probably not ready to see a lot of time but still he can be a decent #4 or 5 cb as he develops more to hopefully be a nickel or even #2 cb in the future.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Yeah, he's probably not ready to see a lot of time but still he can be a decent #4 or 5 cb as he develops more to hopefully be a nickel or even #2 cb in the future.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/can-the-lake-effect-work-on-new-steelers-cb-demarcus-van-dyke/
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/can-the-lake-effect-work-on-new-steelers-cb-demarcus-van-dyke/
Cool! Cool thanks for that also buddy

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Josh C Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I heard about the guy is that he is very raw but has a potential due to the fact he is very fast. But I think Ike was kind of like that coming into the league. If he could learn how to tackle better, and get a little more polished in coverage he could be a good CB for us. He is a project though so he might take a couple of years as a backup to develop.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read on the Raiders forum, half were angry the Raiders cut him and half were saying he had absolutely no potential, but I think the latter was more from Raiders fans who would say that about any player they got rid of.

I cant really say they were wrong to cut him, but IMO, a guy with his speed should be given more than a year no matter what, especially when you draft them in the third round. Yes, he was a Al Davis reach....but still, he had potential coming out and has top end speed. Am I saying he will amount to anything? No...but he wasnt nearly as worthless as some Raiders fans made him out to be, and IMO was silly to get rid of him so quickly.

In the end, I dont think he will ever be anything that good, but I do believe he has potential and can make an impact at some point, even if its small.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a friend of mine out in Cali that showed me a video on him from last year.

He's basically a track star in a big body. No playmaking skills and poor tackler.

Looks like they just want his size for speedy receivers in deep passes and that's it.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can effectively cover like that on Special Teams and keep them from concentrating on Curtis Brown its hard to lose. He's earning his spot while getting time to develop his craft. At worse case if he runs 4.28 he plays at 4.4 you have a guy who can come in and compete with speed if needed.

treat88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
From what I read on the Raiders forum, half were angry the Raiders cut him and half were saying he had absolutely no potential, but I think the latter was more from Raiders fans who would say that about any player they got rid of.

I cant really say they were wrong to cut him, but IMO, a guy with his speed should be given more than a year no matter what, especially when you draft them in the third round. Yes, he was a Al Davis reach....but still, he had potential coming out and has top end speed. Am I saying he will amount to anything? No...but he wasnt nearly as worthless as some Raiders fans made him out to be, and IMO was silly to get rid of him so quickly.

In the end, I dont think he will ever be anything that good, but I do believe he has potential and can make an impact at some point, even if its small.

This.

If he can simply fill the role of ST gunner and depth CB that's a decent signing at this point in the season.

Maybe there's more...not likely, but who knows. Low risk, high reward either way.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looked good in training camp for us, but then looked just like he had last year when he got into game action, absolutely no ball skills or instincst. However, he's still raw and only a second year player, so maybe that could change. He showed us nothing on special teams but again, maybe we were just using him wrong. I think with some good coaching, which you have, he could turn into a good depth player, but you can understand why we cut him, he just sucked in the games. But maybe we gave up on him too soon? I don't know. I'm rooting for him though, he has potential, just needs to add on a little weight.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
He looked good in training camp for us, but then looked just like he had last year when he got into game action, absolutely no ball skills or instincst. However, he's still raw and only a second year player, so maybe that could change. He showed us nothing on special teams but again, maybe we were just using him wrong. I think with some good coaching, which you have, he could turn into a good depth player, but you can understand why we cut him, he just sucked in the games. But maybe we gave up on him too soon? I don't know. I'm rooting for him though, he has potential, just needs to add on a little weight.

Seems really quick to give up on a 2nd year 3rd rd pick, seems like a lot was expected as well?

Their expectations were perhaps too high for a developmental guy. Keeping him on the roster/ having to protect him was probably more than they bargained for. Their intent was probably to release with hopes that he would pass waivers to retain to the practice squad?

How would have Curtis Brown and/or Cortez Allen looked in their rookie years? Its essentially the same thing for Curtis Brown.

OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Seems really quick to give up on a 2nd year 3rd rd pick, seems like a lot was expected as well?

Their expectations were perhaps too high for a developmental guy. Keeping him on the roster/ having to protect him was probably more than they bargained for. Their intent was probably to release with hopes that he would pass waivers to retain to the practice squad?

How would have Curtis Brown and/or Cortez Allen looked in their rookie years? Its essentially the same thing for Curtis Brown.

Yeah but you got to remember, he was an Al Davis 3rd round pick. Our new GM has his own vision for this team and I just don't think DVD fit that. Doesn't mean he can't find success somewhere else, just that he really wasn't the type of player we were looking for, especially because while he was here, he showed nothing on special teams.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

Yeah but you got to remember, he was an Al Davis 3rd round pick. Our new GM has his own vision for this team and I just don't think DVD fit that. Doesn't mean he can't find success somewhere else, just that he really wasn't the type of player we were looking for, especially because while he was here, he showed nothing on special teams.

Ok, yeh you gotta show something on ST. Perhaps the wake up call he needed not to take it for granted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: