Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which draft would you rather see us do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lizardking28


Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are very optimistic about our talent level, but we aren't that good to only need a secondary and that's it. Over the next few years.... On offense we need G/C, maybe running back, and maybe WR (Burleson is getting older and jury is still out on Titus).

On defense we could use OLBs (Levy and Durant are meh), probably at least one DE (Vanden Bosch is gone soon, Avril is probably gone, but also overrated by some (still a starter though if the price is right), where has Willie Young been (also overrated)? this group has performed poorly so far this year, and not that great last year either. And that leaves us with 1 DE starter IF Avril stays for the right price), at least 1 S (I really hope Delmas stays healthy) and a CB.

Not saying we are going to upgrade at every position, but all those positions leave something to be desired. I wouldn't take a WR before round 3 though, especially this year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25787
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
I imagine the draft will start out like this.

1st rd BPA/CB/DE/SS
2nd rd WR/RB/SS
3rd rd CB/SS/C
4th rd DE/OG/WR/LB


The Lions won't take a WR or RB in the second round. If they're going to upgrade either of those positions it would have to be with a 1st round pick and they'd have to be looking at an absolute can't pass on guy.

They also may need two safeties this offseason if Delmas doesn't resign.


If they take a skill guy the player best be a generational talent. I can already feel the stroke imngoing to have if they draft a RB or WR high.


I completely agree. It would have to be on the same level as Calvin, and that's extremely unlikely since I doubt they'll be picking in the top 5.

I honestly don't see how they can't go defense with this pick. Unless there is a stud offensive linemen on the board. But, I think Mayhew has a plan and I expect him to continue to rebuild this team. I still think they need two more off seasons to become a complete football team with solid starters/depth at every position.


I totally agree.

Mayhew has done a good job but I've always been a believer in front to back inside outside when building a team. That doesn't mean drafting by position rather improving quality of play in that way.

Having hope with this team the thought of another offensive weapon starts the heart palpitations and if it happened I'd simply blow a valve.

I don't know if I could take failure and another rebuild.

In fact it might be a good poll thread.

Does DHLF have a stroke during round 1, 2, 3 of the upcoming draft?

I will provide two tickets to a game next year for the winner. Of course in the event the lucky winner predicts I have a stroke and don't survive I would leave instructions with my wife. Laughing
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25787
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizardking28 wrote:
Some people are very optimistic about our talent level, but we aren't that good to only need a secondary and that's it. Over the next few years.... On offense we need G/C, maybe running back, and maybe WR (Burleson is getting older and jury is still out on Titus).

On defense we could use OLBs (Levy and Durant are meh), probably at least one DE (Vanden Bosch is gone soon, Avril is probably gone, but also overrated by some (still a starter though if the price is right), where has Willie Young been (also overrated)? this group has performed poorly so far this year, and not that great last year either. And that leaves us with 1 DE starter IF Avril stays for the right price), at least 1 S (I really hope Delmas stays healthy) and a CB.

Not saying we are going to upgrade at every position, but all those positions leave something to be desired. I wouldn't take a WR before round 3 though, especially this year.


You're correct. The Lions need upgrades or have personnel questions at numerous positions looking ahead.

I think the biggest areas of need are also those that have been previously neglected in the draft.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Duderino


Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 546
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
I imagine the draft will start out like this.

1st rd BPA/CB/DE/SS
2nd rd WR/RB/SS
3rd rd CB/SS/C
4th rd DE/OG/WR/LB


The Lions won't take a WR or RB in the second round. If they're going to upgrade either of those positions it would have to be with a 1st round pick and they'd have to be looking at an absolute can't pass on guy.

They also may need two safeties this offseason if Delmas doesn't resign.


People have been saying this for the last 2 years. I just think this way because of the pattern of behavior the Lions have shown the last 4 drafts.

First Pick BPA- Stafford, Suh, Fairley, Reiff
2nd Pick BPA Skill Position- Pettigrew, Best, Young, Broyles
3rd Pick BPA Defender- Delmas, Spievey, Bentley

Leshoure is the exception to this because the Lions traded their 3rd to draft him.

I get the feeling the Lions have little interest in drafting corners too early unless they can draft a one of the top end corners in the first. Drafting corners after the 1st is typically a crapshoot, and you'd be lucky to find one that can make an immediate impact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Honalulufan20


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 2687
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctad2002 wrote:
out of these i would pick 2 but my draft would go like this

1 G chance warmack (beast)
2 CB xavier rhodes
3 S bacrari rambo
4 de craig roh
bpa after that


This wont happen lol. Rambo is likely a second round pick, but MAY slip, thats somewhat likely.

Rhodes is the best corner in the draft IMO, he may not see the light of day after the 15th pick, let alone slip through 32 teams once, sometimes twice.
_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1King


Moderator
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 34878
Location: daboyle250 on the sig.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honalulufan20 wrote:
ctad2002 wrote:
out of these i would pick 2 but my draft would go like this

1 G chance warmack (beast)
2 CB xavier rhodes
3 S bacrari rambo
4 de craig roh
bpa after that


This wont happen lol. Rambo is likely a second round pick, but MAY slip, thats somewhat likely.

Rhodes is the best corner in the draft IMO, he may not see the light of day after the 15th pick, let alone slip through 32 teams once, sometimes twice.


Rambo could fall due to off field issues. Rhodes isn't the best corner, not right now anyway.
_________________


El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.


candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome


TEAM STYLISH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFan630


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 11255
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizardking28 wrote:
Some people are very optimistic about our talent level, but we aren't that good to only need a secondary and that's it. Over the next few years.... On offense we need G/C, maybe running back, and maybe WR (Burleson is getting older and jury is still out on Titus).

On defense we could use OLBs (Levy and Durant are meh), probably at least one DE (Vanden Bosch is gone soon, Avril is probably gone, but also overrated by some (still a starter though if the price is right), where has Willie Young been (also overrated)? this group has performed poorly so far this year, and not that great last year either. And that leaves us with 1 DE starter IF Avril stays for the right price), at least 1 S (I really hope Delmas stays healthy) and a CB.

Not saying we are going to upgrade at every position, but all those positions leave something to be desired. I wouldn't take a WR before round 3 though, especially this year.


Not to mention Corey Williams doesn't have many years left, SLH could walk...might need another DT as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mijags


Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 3203
Location: kalamazoo, mi
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i wouldn't mind a secondary of:

S: tanard jackson/eric reid

starting CBs: chris houston/mike jenkins

nickel: bill bentley


i dont see them resigning delmas, no matter how much people play up the "hes the leader of the defense" angle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group