Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stanford University offering 16 free online courses
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
49ersfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Stanford University offering 16 free online courses Reply with quote

I found this on one of those "random facts" type twitter accounts, googled it and it was true.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/september/online-courses-fall-090712.html

Quote:
Sixteen courses and two new platforms for interactive learning will highlight Stanford's free online offerings this fall, with more to follow during winter and spring quarters.

From cryptography to science writing, technology entrepreneurship, finance and a crash course in creativity, the courses are open to anyone with a computer, anywhere.

As the number of Stanford online courses has grown, so too has the range of fields, which now include computer science, mathematics, linguistics, science writing, sociology and education.

Stanford is unique among universities in that it is offering its online courses on more than one platform. Each has its own distinct features and capabilities, among them video lectures, discussion forums, peer assessment, problem sets, quizzes and team projects.

You don't get a degree but instead of a "statement of accomplishment" with the instructor signing off that you completed/passed the course.

Will it mean much on your resume? Maybe, maybe not. But i think it looks like a great opportunity regardless. At the very least, i can say i took and passed a course offered by Stanford University. I'll definitely be looking into taking courses here soon (probably when i'm done my own undergrad). Its an opportunity i probably would never get otherwise. I am into finance and finance is one of the 16 courses being offered for free so i will definitely look into that.

Is anyone here interested in taking a free Stanford course? Any other prestigious schools offering anything similar?
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brb going to Stanford.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Throttle Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stanford University offering 16 free online courses Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:

Is anyone here interested in taking a free Stanford course? Any other prestigious schools offering anything similar?

We've offered Open Courseware through MIT for awhile. You do not get a smiley face sticker for completing the course, but you have access to the same lectures, class notes, assignments, ect that I did. Well, mine are a little dated. I think they have been updating them fairly regularly now.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stanford University offering 16 free online courses Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
I found this on one of those "random facts" type twitter accounts, googled it and it was true.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/september/online-courses-fall-090712.html

Quote:
Sixteen courses and two new platforms for interactive learning will highlight Stanford's free online offerings this fall, with more to follow during winter and spring quarters.

From cryptography to science writing, technology entrepreneurship, finance and a crash course in creativity, the courses are open to anyone with a computer, anywhere.

As the number of Stanford online courses has grown, so too has the range of fields, which now include computer science, mathematics, linguistics, science writing, sociology and education.

Stanford is unique among universities in that it is offering its online courses on more than one platform. Each has its own distinct features and capabilities, among them video lectures, discussion forums, peer assessment, problem sets, quizzes and team projects.

You don't get a degree but instead of a "statement of accomplishment" with the instructor signing off that you completed/passed the course.

Will it mean much on your resume? Maybe, maybe not. But i think it looks like a great opportunity regardless. At the very least, i can say i took and passed a course offered by Stanford University. I'll definitely be looking into taking courses here soon (probably when i'm done my own undergrad). Its an opportunity i probably would never get otherwise. I am into finance and finance is one of the 16 courses being offered for free so i will definitely look into that.

Yes--- i have the link on my other computer but i think MIT, Harvard, Stanford all submit videos of their classes(some of them, mainly intro ones) to this website where you can watch them. You just cant ask questions.

I'd like to try my hand at cryptography.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt get accepted.
latinoaustino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: didn't even click the link. Coursera is what they're linking to Embarassed

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon

Last edited by latinoaustino on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Finance.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online classes are really the wave of the future, it truly takes a smart and dedicated person to teach and master it oneself.

I took an online class, every test was administered on campus, closed book. you had to basically have the same knowledge as if you were going to class as an in person student but didnt have the resources an in person student would. Of course teachers do have office hours, but some students struggle to learn anything by themselves.

I found the online class structure was a bit more challenging than in person class structure since there was a lot more freedom and less direction.
theJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Hmm. Finance.

Someone should send the finance link to Vince Young's twitter.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it's starting

pretty soon public unis (i realize most of these schools are private, just stating the trend) will be free just like public high schools and pretty soon masters degrees and phds will be essentially what bachelor's degrees used to be.

mark it down homies

but maybe i'll do it next summer or summin when i have some free time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up for a class, figure I have some free time this fall might as well keep my mind occupied.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed up for 2 at Stanford and a UPenn one. Can't hurt if its free, certainly a very cool idea. I like this a lot.
BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took an online music class in college. Our teacher claimed she could tell if you read each online chapter and watched the videos, I think it was BS but to be safe each week I would make sure I would go to my room and watch each video on mute with SportsCenter on my TV. Tough class.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Online classes are really the wave of the future, it truly takes a smart and dedicated person to teach and master it oneself.

I took an online class, every test was administered on campus, closed book. you had to basically have the same knowledge as if you were going to class as an in person student but didnt have the resources an in person student would. Of course teachers do have office hours, but some students struggle to learn anything by themselves.

I found the online class structure was a bit more challenging than in person class structure since there was a lot more freedom and less direction.

While it may be the wave of the future, if you want a good education, don't do it. Schools with reputation will always survive. Ivies, UMich, Cal-Berkeley, UCLA, Northwestern, the entire conference with UChicago/Case/WUSTL, et al

have your kids go there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

online classes aren't going to phase out regular schooling for a looong time.

there might be more teleconferencing in classrooms, but overall no.

there will be too much backlash, and ultimately the level of education would never be the same.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: