Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots preparing to trade Wes Welker?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Patriots preparing to trade Wes Welker? Reply with quote

Quote:
According to CBS Sports, there is "more than some remote possibility" the Patriots are preparing to shop Wes Welker.
The word comes via "several league sources."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2964&line=241630&spln=1

The Pats are notorious for getting a kings ransom for players - it wouldnt surprise me for him to go for a 1st round pick.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not news...yet. We'll start it up in General, and if something happens, we can get it in news quickly.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested to see what team falls into the Patriots' trap again...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BACK TO MIAMI!
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would probably get a 3rd and a 5th. He is a product of their system. If he went to Denver or even Detroit I can see him being successful, but he would have to go to a team with a good QB that has a solid passing game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
They would probably get a 3rd and a 5th. He is a product of their system. If he went to Denver or even Detroit I can see him being successful, but he would have to go to a team with a good QB that has a solid passing game.

I could see him fitting in Washington in that style of offense. But, I'd laugh if the Skins mortgaged even more of their future.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

I could see him fitting in Washington in that style of offense. But, I'd laugh if the Skins mortgaged even more of their future.

I could see him going to a team that needs a short term solution at slot WR, thats why I said Denver, because they have 2 up and comers on the outside in Decker/Thomas, but they lack a slot threat. And Detroit has Megatron/Titus Young, with Broyles the slot of the future, he is still recovering from his knee injury last year. Welker paired with Megatron would be nasty, like when Welker and Moss were paired back in '07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what teams would be interested and what they would give up. It wouldn't shock me if a contending team gave up a first-round pick, although I don't think Welker is worth that due to his age.

Could a team like San Francisco or Houston be interested in him? I think Welker would be a good fit on either of those teams.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
I wonder what teams would be interested and what they would give up. It wouldn't shock me if a contending team gave up a first-round pick, although I don't think Welker is worth that due to his age.

Could a team like San Francisco or Houston be interested in him? I think Welker would be a good fit on either of those teams.

Welker in Houston would be filthy. Could be a good pick up too, since they are superbowl contenders this year.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:

A contending team, unless it's one that's playing over their heads and thinks "hey, we actually have a shot" isn't going to give up a 1st, particularly Houston or SF. SF as well just spent a 1st on a WR and has a very deep WR corps. Houston has built a team that can be perennial contenders, they aren't going to spend a 1st on Welker either. If a team ponies up a 1st, it's going to be some middle of the pack or worse team.

Maybe the Rams since they have the ammo? I don't think it'd be a good idea, but it wouldn't hurt them as much as it would other teams, would help Bradford, and may allow them to sneak into a WC spot or even win the division with how their defense is playing. They may be a darkhorse, though they do have Amendola who fills a similar role.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
BACK TO MIAMI!

Sounds nice on paper but we've got guys that can do what he does. If they want to help us out how about sending Brandon Lloyd or Rob Gronkowski our way Wink

FF Member #67
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see how this is a surprise. Welker wants a payday and is in the last year of his contract and they don't want to pay him what he wants. It was the same thing with Seymour. They aren't going to just dump him but it would be horrible business management NOT to see what people would pony up for him.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see a team realistically giving up a second and a future late round pick.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
I could see a team realistically giving up a second and a future late round pick.

The Rams have a LOT of picks over the next two drafts, a bunch of cap room IIRC...and while Welker is the same type of WR as Danny Amendola, we can all somewhat agree that Welker is a bit better, and beyond Amendola and Brian Quick, the Rams are pretty thin at the spot...

Should Jeff Fisher get in on this?

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
CP3MVP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't why people say he's a system player. He gets open a lot and they throw it too him a lot... That's basically it. There's no magic tricks at play here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: