Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

D.J. Williams files appeal of his suspension with U.S. Supre
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way has he played his last game as a Bronco. I want wins not angels. DJ helps this team win games. Our linebacker play should make it painfully clear how important DJ is to this team. I would say he is our best option, by a large margin, at covering TE's.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are missing the point. It isn't that he is an idiot. He is very talented. However, the problem is that you can trust him. He is gone for 6 games for the substance abuse. Then he can miss up to 8 games for his latest DUI. So he is probably missing at least this whole year. After that , next time he does something stupid, and who honestly thinks he won't, he can be suspended for an entire year.

Furthermore, he has shown time after time, he can not be trusted. The twitter episode was a perfect example of how he is not commited to the team. If you can't trust him to not publicly put new plays on Twitter, what makes you think he can be trusted to learn the new plays or keep himself in shape to play or be mentally prepared for each game. Then you have the younger players. What you are telling them is that it is ok to have DUIs and get tested for testoterone or post plays on twitter as long as you are talented. Their comes a point when he is not worth the headaches

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, the fact we haven't cut him means nothing with regards to whether he has played his last game here. The smart thing (which we are doing) is obviously to keep him in case any of our LB core go down with an injury or whether our Coaches decide they are playing poorly.

Secondly, I don't know where this misconception of DJ being good in man coverage has come from. His best attribute (by some margin) is blitzing. After that, I don't see him as that much of an upgrade on Mays and WW in our Nickel.

MUFC OK
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Firstly, the fact we haven't cut him means nothing with regards to whether he has played his last game here. The smart thing (which we are doing) is obviously to keep him in case any of our LB core go down with an injury or whether our Coaches decide they are playing poorly.

Secondly, I don't know where this misconception of DJ being good in man coverage has come from. His best attribute (by some margin) is blitzing. After that, I don't see him as that much of an upgrade on Mays and WW in our Nickel.
Actually DJ is decent in coverage, in 2006 when our defense fell off a cliff it was Ian Gold who was getting torched by TEs and DJs 2004 season he was very good in coverage. But that was when he was a quicker player. Man to man he's dropped off but he's still better than Woodyard who doesn't have the strength to battle with TEs or Mays who doesn't have the quickness to stay with them in space.

DJ doesn't make this an elite defense by any means but he improves it a bit in every category. DJ isn't getting cut or traded because he holds more value on the field for us than cutting him and getting nothing or trading him and getting a low impact player in return.

Don't get the WW/Mays lovefest around here, they are barely a step above 2007 Ian Gold and Nate Webster.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is simply the legal process playing itself out. DJ is paying Harvey Steinberg a awful lot of money and Steinberg is doing everything within his ability as an attorney to serve his client.

One, it's doubtful SCOTUS takes this case. Two, if they did, DJ wouldn't receive a decision until close to the end of the year, early December is next time SCOTUS is going to publish rulings on the cases it has elected to hear. Thus if by some miracle the court took the case and ruled in DJ's favor, his suspension would be over and he'd already be back playing for a few weeks before the ruling came down.

I'll say this much, the coaches love DJ Williams the football player. That doesn't mean they necessarily like DJ Williams the person. But as a player they love him. He's always in phenomenal shape, he knows his assignments, he plays his tail off in practice and in games, he plays through injuries and has never complained about his ever-changing roles. The Shanahan, McDaniels and now Fox staffs were all in agreement on this account. DJ is popular in the lockerroom with his teammates and is respected across the league for what he does on the field.

You know why he didn't play in preseason or in training camp? Because, unlike the players who were going to fill in for him during the suspension, he is not someone who needs tons of reps in practice to show what he can do. Fox and JDR know that come week 7 or week 9 or whenever he is eligible to play again that they plug him right in to the starting lineup and he will do what he has always done - be a damn good 3-down outside linebacker.

lomaxgr wrote:

I disagree here. DJ isn't an in his prime Lance Briggs in coverage but he's certainly better than Mays. DJ in a wheelchair would be better in coverage than Mays. DJ is much more athletic, has better instincts and a quicker reaction time. He is a 3-tool OLB who can play in coverage, blitz and take on blockers and make tackles in run defense.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods

Last edited by AnAngryAmerican on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
He may be a moron, but his lawyer is too.

If you ask me his lawyers a genius. Any half smart human being would know they should have dropped this. Not DJ. He's lost twice already, still thinks he can win (probably cuz his lawyer advised him to).

Simply put DJ is putting all this guys kids through college. Lawyer knows DJ's got no chance, but why not keep going to the bank?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:

If you ask me his lawyers a genius. Any half smart human being would know they should have dropped this. Not DJ. He's lost twice already, still thinks he can win (probably cuz his lawyer advised him to).

Simply put DJ is putting all this guys kids through college. Lawyer knows DJ's got no chance, but why not keep going to the bank?
That's a really good point. This guy wants to make his money, and if it means trying to get a supreme court case, he will do it. He knows they wont take on the case, but he either isn't telling DJ or DJ isn't listening. It's probably the latter.

Well his lawyer isn't a moron I guess, but I tend to feel like he's taking advantage. Laughing
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Joe_is_the_best wrote:

That's a really good point. This guy wants to make his money, and if it means trying to get a supreme court case, he will do it. He knows they wont take on the case, but he either isn't telling DJ or DJ isn't listening. It's probably the latter.

Well his lawyer isn't a moron I guess, but I tend to feel like he's taking advantage. Laughing

Ya think? Wink
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

Sometimes I read stuff people say on here and just shake my head. No one has been more critical of DJ than me. Having said that, to suggest performance on the field between Woodyard and DJ Williams is close or similar is ridiculous.

Williams is 10 times the player Woodyard is in every category except special teams. DJ Williams may not have been a pro bowler but he was on the next tier. A very solid upper echelon versatile linebacker who plays the game at close to an elite level for his position. No one will ever say that about Woodyard.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Gold....oh the humanity..... Laughing
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
JRebar913

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
Ian Gold....oh the humanity..... Laughing

i miss the days of wilson, mobley, gold. just think if wilson was on this team in the middle. thats the type of mlb denver needs again.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Sometimes I read stuff people say on here and just shake my head. No one has been more critical of DJ than me. Having said that, to suggest performance on the field between Woodyard and DJ Williams is close or similar is ridiculous.

Williams is 10 times the player Woodyard is in every category except special teams. DJ Williams may not have been a pro bowler but he was on the next tier. A very solid upper echelon versatile linebacker who plays the game at close to an elite level for his position. No one will ever say that about Woodyard.

I think you misread lomax's comments. The reference was strictly about man coverage in the nickle and in that he's correct. I've never considered DJ a great cover guy by any means. A better all around LB than WW, but in the referenced package it's about a toss up. Maybe even a nod to WW.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time judging DJ on his DUI's, because I cannot honestly say that I have never driven home while a bit drunk. I don't do that anymore. But, back in the day, I took that chance for some reason.

He just happened to get caught.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Shake your head all you like, I don't really care. The fact you consider DJ Williams close to an elite level makes me want to cry with laughter; does that bother you?

What DJ Williams did in 2006 doesn't concern me, and neither do the Pro Bowl votes or even All Pro votes. In terms of pursuit I think DJ and WW are a dead even. DJ has better hip fluidity than WW in zone coverage, but I genuinely don't think WW is that far behind DJ in terms of man coverage. People consistently overrate DJ Williams in all areas of his game besides blitzing, but his ability in man coverage is ridiculously overrated. He doesn't have any feel for routes and he isn't overly quick at this point in his career either.

I actually said that I don't think DJ is that much of an upgrade to WW and Mays in the Nickel package. That doesn't just mean in man coverage; that means everything you associate with the Nickel, which in the modern NFL includes a LOT of Run Defense.

MUFC OK
mke1010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughout DJ's career, the general consensus around the league including scouts and coaches is that Williams is a very good linebacker. He has been just a tier below the pro bowl level at his position for a long time. He has been asked to change position numerous times and each time he does what is asked of him very competently.
Look through history and cross check with various media analysis over the past decade, it is evident the type of player DJ has been on the field. This is not just a fan's perspective.
The bottom line remains that anyone who thinks Woodyard is the same caliber player as DJ Williams has a personal bias or is completely delusional. That's all I have to say on this matter. Cheers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: