Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This year's 49ers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemmiwinks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: This year's 49ers? Reply with quote

Simple question, can we be this year's version of he 49ers from last year? There are some similarities between the 2 teams. Both have stout run defenses with an efficient running attack on offense and a question mark in the passing game. On Defense, we both have an elite pass rusher (us Wake) (them Aldon Smith). They clearly have better safety's but Jones seems like he has the potential for greatness and Clemons can be serviceable. Whitner and Goldson are attacking safeties but we have Misi who is an attacking linebacker that does the same thing fore our defense, not as effective yet. I think the glaring difference is the 2 divisions. The NFC West was putrid last year and the AFC East will not be this year. But I believe that the argument can be made that if our running game stays as is after the first 2 weeks (yes I know it's only been 2 weeks) and our defense stays as strong as it's been (again 2 weeks only) we could surprise some people.
Fins20??SBChamp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope I'm wrong here but I am gonna say no. Last year, SF not only had a better secondary (like you mentioned above) but also a beast offensive line and one of the top LB and TE in the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Smith is ridiculously under-rated apparently.

There's a huge difference between the two teams at the QB position. Alex Smith might not have had consistency above him or a lot of talent below him during his years in San Fran but the simple fact is that he has a great arm, is accurate and is very smart to boot.

Rookie QBs simply can't burst out the way that Alex Smith and the 49ers did last season unless you're talking about a guy like Cam Newton who simply has a skill-set that urges him to improvise in which case he'll struggle with basic elements of the game once teams find ways of containing him (see week 1 @ Tampa). That ain't Tannehill at all. Tannehill has the ability to develop into a great QB but he's starting as a young, inexperenced and inconsistent QB.

I could see Tannehill helping the team win more games than we expect but he's not great yet and for this team to win more than 10 games given it's current talent it would need more than a young, rookie QB under center.

As I said, I believe there are probably 10 to 12 win-able games on the Dolphins schedule this year. So far we won (in blow-out style) the only 'win-able' game we've played so I'm impressed. That said, I'd consider this week a 'win-able' game and yet I don't feel great going into it.

We simply don't have the experience to win 10 of the 'win-able' games on our schedule. That said, the Miami defense gave up 30 points to the Houston Texans which included back-to-back-to-back TDs on those Miami turnovers.

Say what you will but Sean Smith got beat for a long TD, we allowed a big TD run to Arian Foster and finally allowed the Texans to march down and get it a third time. Great defenses give up 3 points in those situations and keep their team in the game. They don't give up 21 points on big plays.

This defense has looked like crap in every sense other than YPC. I'm sorry, that's the truth. In a passing league, I'm not all that impressed by sub-par pass rush and a secondary that seems to get exposed more than we'd like to admit. Say what you will about run defense, there are't a lot of elite teams running smash-mouth, power, run-between-the-tackles offensive systems out there for us to match up against.

Until we can take a Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Schuab or Manning and pressure the dude for 60 minutes of football, I'm not going to be very impressed by this defense.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other then what's already been said, the 49ers are loaded with talent and have been for a couple of years. They just needed a Coaching Staff that could come in and take advantage of all those players, whereas we still have gaping holes in several positions IMO.
Russ57

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad fact is if you want a quick turn around your team has to really stink for awhile. To us the dolphins might qualify but in reality they have been mediocre.

We have a long ways to go to better pats, steelers, ravens, and now texans and broncos. I'll go as far as to say it will either take a long time...or some bad luck on their side and great luck on ours. To be honest it probably takes a new owner and GM. That or we have to wait until their QB's are gone and hope they can't draft a suitable replacement. Even then tanny, philbin, and ireland will all have to shine.

Look at who you think will win the divisions. Then factor in the strength of the divisions and think who will take the wildcards. It is a tough road for us in the afc east.

Now if we have a great draft in 2013 and 2014 then maybe we can get a wld card berth.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several slots where we do not compare well with San Francisco.

It pains me still that I had us taking Patrick Willis but some how we found a stash of Maui Wowie and smoked it all before it was our turn to make a selection in the draft.

The only team we look like last year is the the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to the question for me is NO! I'm very optimistic about this teams direction but we are a good off season and one season for tannehill away!
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a huge difference between the two teams at the QB position. Alex Smith might not have had consistency above him or a lot of talent below him during his years in San Fran but the simple fact is that he has a great arm, is accurate and is very smart to boot.

Alex Smith is average. He is no better than Matt Cassel. As long as they avoid the turnovers, they can let their team's greater talent and extraordinary turnover ratio's get them to the playoffs where they will eventually die out. But the thing is we don't have great talent elsewhere on the team nor do we have a defense that can force those turnovers. Meaning that unless guys step up big time and Sean Smith develops hands of gold, we won't be this years 49ers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the Alex Smith talk, i'm not saying he isn't a good quarterback but going into last year he was almost universally declared a bust. He was just as unproven as Tannehill is now in fact he was proven to be a failure in a lot of people's minds. One point I forgot to mention was that yes, Vernon Davis is an enormous asset in so many ways for them and is something they had that we don't. The question wasn't will we go 13-3 but rather surprise people like they did with a stud defense potent running game and improving passing game. Match their team at the beginning of the season last year and ours now, I think it's a close game. Match them up at the end of last year or this years and ours now and I'd say we would have a tough time for sure.
xXxHOUSEDxXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a superb offensive line. They have a better defensive core....Aldon Smith, Justin Smtih, Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis.

While our defense remains suspect. Plus I'm not too fond of Kevin Coyle, he doesn't dial up a lot of pressure.

[]_[] Family
Not 1, not 2, not 3...........it's not a joke, it's a threat
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphins82 wrote:

They have a superb offensive line. They have a better defensive core....Aldon Smith, Justin Smtih, Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis.

While our defense remains suspect. Plus I'm not too fond of Kevin Coyle, he doesn't dial up a lot of pressure.

I agree with the first part

To the second part, because we are filled with pass rushers. Our LBs strength isn't blitzing. Danbsy and Burnett are coverage guys. It has a lot to do with our personnel. We don't have very strong blitzers.

UniversalAuthor
hammer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offensively maybe. Defensively, not a chance unless the pass rush drastically improves.
NBA: New York Knicks
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had better weapons on offense like Davis.

They had a better pass blocking O-line

They had more than just Aldon Smith getting pressure on the QB

And they had a better secondary!

That's a lot to overcome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
They had better weapons on offense like Davis.

They had a better pass blocking O-line

They had more than just Aldon Smith getting pressure on the QB

And they had a better secondary!

That's a lot to overcome.

I agree with all of that except secondary. I just don't think the 49ers secondary is that good. I think a lot of the teams we have been discussing are success full in the back end due to pass rush.

We are a few playmakers away form being where the 49ers are. We need another pass rusher, a playmaker at WR or TE, and a G or two away.

A play maker at WR would make us so much better but We would still need a pass rusher and G to be able to be as good as the 49ers.

UniversalAuthor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: