Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ronnie Hillman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnylongfella

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Ronnie Hillman? Reply with quote

Have we heard anything new regarding Hillman's progression? Last I heard was the "he's behind mentally and physically" comment, but that was a couple of weeks ago when we found out he was going to be inactive on gameday.

I'm assuming his hammy is much better now, but we need him getting those pass blocking schemes down and on the field asap. Have we seen anything that lends us to believe he's he any closer to be being active on game day?

I know it's a common issue for rookie RB's to struggle in that area, but I would feel much more comfortable if we had someone other than Knowshon or Lance Ball as our depth behind Willis.

big_palooka wrote:

Call me a troll if you must.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing its a combination of 2 things.

A) He missed a lot of time in camp so he's probably not up to speed with the playbook and physically not ready.

B) We are saving his speed for later in the season when Willis slows down and defenses get tired.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
I'm guessing its a combination of 2 things.

A) He missed a lot of time in camp so he's probably not up to speed with the playbook and physically not ready.

B) We are saving his speed for later in the season when Willis slows down and defenses get tired.

Right. I definitely understand the reasons for him being inactive, I'm just looking to see if anyone has heard anything about him being any closer to seeing game action. Tweets, articles, interviews, etc.

big_palooka wrote:

PGeorge2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:

He may not be ready physically, but that is exactly why he should completely comfortable with the playbook. He hasn't been as involved in the practices so he has plenty of time to sit around and study the playbook.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DPwas saying it wad due to his lack of ability in blocking game

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason isn't playing is because he missed so much of camp.

Training Camp is where the team actually practices. Once the regular season begins the weekly "practices" are more about installing game plans than they are about getting better. Additionally, the players who aren't starters or major role-players serve as the scout team. Since Hillman falls into this category, he's spending whatever practice time he's getting now playing the role of Jacquizz Rogers and Ben Tate.

Because our offense is so heavily reliant on timing and the skill position players having chemistry and an in-game rapport with Peyton, those who missed time in training camp are behind the eight ball and find it difficult, if not impossible, to catch up.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I think you have to remember what Offense we are running here. Look no further than Sunday's game. Willis McGahee ran the wrong way on a Manning audible; how do you think a 21 year old RB like Hillman is going to cope?

NFL Defenses are sophisticated, and they have headsets too. The second Hillman is in the game they are going to start changing their calls, knowing that Manning can't change his to the degree he wants to.

I would have no problems with him playing ahead of Moreno, but I guess our Coaches just don't trust him right now.

MUFC OK
jonnylongfella

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, not trying to be a you-know-what here, but the point of the original post wasn't to determine why he wasn't playing.

I think it's been well documented that he got behind in camp with the hammy injury, then the typical rookie struggles in the passing game, intricate playbook, etc. All of those things led to him being inactive the past 2 weeks. I get that.

The point was to find out if anyone has given us any reason to believe that he is any closer to seeing the field than he was prior to the first week of the season. Trying to find out from some of those that do the whole Twitter thing where someone might have mentioned him progressing, making strides, impressing coaches recently etc. Or is he still struggling? Are the coaches frustrated with him? Things of this nature.

I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope that he might not be inactive all season long. I certainly hope it doesn't take an act of desperation (like an injury) to put him on the active roster.

big_palooka wrote:

elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Mason said he's not going to see the field til he's capable enough in protection.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnylongfella wrote:
Sorry guys, not trying to be a you-know-what here, but the point of the original post wasn't to determine why he wasn't playing.

I think it's been well documented that he got behind in camp with the hammy injury, then the typical rookie struggles in the passing game, intricate playbook, etc. All of those things led to him being inactive the past 2 weeks. I get that.

The point was to find out if anyone has given us any reason to believe that he is any closer to seeing the field than he was prior to the first week of the season. Trying to find out from some of those that do the whole Twitter thing where someone might have mentioned him progressing, making strides, impressing coaches recently etc. Or is he still struggling? Are the coaches frustrated with him? Things of this nature.

I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope that he might not be inactive all season long. I certainly hope it doesn't take an act of desperation (like an injury) to put him on the active roster.

I offered up my view on the Ronnie Hillman matter to the best of what I've learned about the team.

From what I know about the team I have to assume they're trying to work him in. But, because of what I outlined above, he's going to be brought along very slowly. Fox is instinctively anti-rookie and is going to be even moreso in Hillman's case given that he missed the vast majority of camp and we run a precision offense.

However, Elway and the coaching staff drafted Hillman with the idea that he be an instant-impact player; they felt he had the experience and skillset to contribute this year. We, as fans and the media, bought the hype and agreed that Hillman would be a contributor this year. The fact that he hasn't leads me to believe that, like Rahim Moore last year, Elway and Fox had irrational expectations for Hillman. After watching him play in camp/preseason (the very little he did since it appears he's made of glass), it's clear that he needs more time to develop, again like Rahim Moore last year.

As a fan of the Broncos, I'd recalibrate my 2012 expectations for one Ronnie Hillman.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 5'9 190 pound back is never going to be a good pass protector.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
That is nonsense. Size has nothing to do with being able to block as a back. I have seen plenty of big backs that can't pass pro worth a damn either. It has to do with understanding blitz assignments and audible alignments. I also doubt that a 21 year old is going to stay at 190 pounds for long. He will carry a nice 200-205 by the time he is 23 or 24 years old, much like Travis Henry without the drugs and kids and whatnot.

It will take some time, but he will be a nice weapon with fresh legs here in a few weeks. One of the other three backs is likely to miss time at some point and he will get a chance.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
I have seen plenty of big backs that can't pass pro worth a damn either.

I would go one step further and say that size tends to be a disadvantage for blocking in these types of situations. It's much harder for bigger guys to slide their feet and adjust to a runner coming from a different direction they are oriented and also harder for them to suddenly launch themselves at another player.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Andrew Mason said he's not going to see the field til he's capable enough in protection.

This is true, unfortunately.

The way McGahee is running the ball (please stay healthy) why have anyone else in the game. We saw what Moreno can do on 3rd down in the 4th quarter. Some people disagree but thats his value for this team.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:
That is nonsense. Size has nothing to do with being able to block as a back. I have seen plenty of big backs that can't pass pro worth a damn either. It has to do with understanding blitz assignments and audible alignments. I also doubt that a 21 year old is going to stay at 190 pounds for long. He will carry a nice 200-205 by the time he is 23 or 24 years old, much like Travis Henry without the drugs and kids and whatnot.

It will take some time, but he will be a nice weapon with fresh legs here in a few weeks. One of the other three backs is likely to miss time at some point and he will get a chance.
I'm not saying blocking is all size. That absurd. What I am saying is when you are small with such little strength that the lack of sand in pants works against you because of how strong DE's and LB's are.

Ray Rice is on the small side and is a helluva blocker. So was Clinton Portis and Brian Westbrook. But they are/were also stronger and a bit bigger than Hillman with better technique.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: