Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

where have you gone Roger Staubach..

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mco65


Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 534
Location: US
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: where have you gone Roger Staubach.. Reply with quote

Shortly after the Seahawks scored their first points of the second half pushing the deficit to 20-7, my young son got up and left the room proclaiming that he could no longer stand watching the game and that I could tell him who won later.. Sad

My how times have changed. I remember watching the Cowboys when I was his age. I would NEVER stop watching a game when the Cowboys were 13 points down and Staubach was on the field, NEVER! In fact, you almost relished those kind of deficits because you knew Roger Staubach was going to lead the Cowboys back with a performance you simply didn't want to miss! You just knew it. Now I suppose it didn't always turn out that way but it happened enough times to make you believe that it would again!

I feel sorry for the hordes of Cowboy fans who never got to see Roger Staubach play. Danny White had some of the magic as did Aikman and Romo has had his moments but no body in Cowboy history displayed more grit, more determination to win and more magic than Roger Staubach.

The funny thing is, every body in football land knew it was coming. The fans knew it, the other team knew it, the announcers knew it and more importantly the Cowboys knew it. There is no doubt that the confidence that team had in Staubach was crucial in them coming back to win again and again.

That's what missing from this team.. this franchise.. confidence! You could almost see it in their eyes yesterday. They were whipped after going down 20-7 and they got pushed around the rest of the day because they simple wanted to get out of town as fast as possible, like my young son did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3851
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post. I am of your generation and have great memories of Staubach leading comebacks, or fighting to keep his club in the game. The team knew without question that he was their leader. And he was tough as nails. A competitor as fierce as Jack Lambert said of Staubach that as long as Roger was in the game the Cowboys had a chance to win.

He along with Randy White remain my all time favourite Cowboys.

You hit the nail on the head though with respect to yesterday's game - the boys got punched in the mouth, fell behind and then packed it in. See the comments of Seahawks safety Earl Thomas. Article attached.

"I felt like them guys [the Cowboys] didn't want to play,'' Seattle's superb young free safety Earl Thomas said in blunt assessment in the winning locker room. "They kind of shut it down after a while. Once we stopped their run, [Tony] Romo was throwing passes fading away. We know if we kept the rush on Romo, it was going to be a hard day for him.

"We made it a physical day for them, and they weren't prepared. We lasted longer than them, and I feel like we were in better shape. So that's the kind of mentality we've got to keep playing with, and if we do, it's going to be hard for us to get beat.''


Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/09/16/cowboys-seahawks/index.html#ixzz26k9NqeaM
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mco65


Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 534
Location: US
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Cowboys read what Eral Thomas had to say and take it to heart. Because he speaks the truth and any body watching could see it... they were punched in the mouth and they didn't want to get up..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony7188


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 3383
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I'm sorry your son felt that way about the Cowboys. I barely remember when the Cowboys won their last SB, I can only imagine the stuff kids got to deal from others with them being Cowboy fans.

Now that I think about it, it's amazing how we have so many fans young and old still even though Dallas hasn't been revelant in over a decade and a half.

As for the Earl Thomas quote, I thought we were pass that phase after the disaster in GB. I trust Garrett to make changes
_________________

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3851
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
Dang, I'm sorry your son felt that way about the Cowboys. I barely remember when the Cowboys won their last SB, I can only imagine the stuff kids got to deal from others with them being Cowboy fans.

Now that I think about it, it's amazing how we have so many fans young and old still even though Dallas hasn't been revelant in over a decade and a half.

As for the Earl Thomas quote, I thought we were pass that phase after the disaster in GB. I trust Garrett to make changes


THere are probably a lot of legacy fans out there, i.e. dad, older brother etc was/is a Cowboy fan so it is inherited.

The Cowboys are a marketing machine and that keeps them relevant beyond their recent won lost record.

Re Earl Thomas. You want to hear an opponent say that the Boys kept fighting and gave them a game. Oh well. Every year you have a game or two where you crap the bed. That was yesterday.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flex Defense


Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Posts: 15
Location: Austin
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I was also around during the Staubach era. It was true, you never felt as if Dallas was out of the game. Even with as great as the 90's Cowboys were, they were never a come from behind team. They built big leads early and held on to the lead until the end.

As much as I can't stand Tebow, he did show a Staubach-esque side when he would take over the fourth quarter in many games last year for the Broncos. Of course the glaring difference was Staubach could run AND pass.

On all those all time Cowboy rosters, I always thought Aikman should be the all time first half quarterback and Roger the all time second half. That would be a formidable duo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3851
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flex Defense wrote:
Yep, I was also around during the Staubach era. It was true, you never felt as if Dallas was out of the game. Even with as great as the 90's Cowboys were, they were never a come from behind team. They built big leads early and held on to the lead until the end.

As much as I can't stand Tebow, he did show a Staubach-esque side when he would take over the fourth quarter in many games last year for the Broncos. Of course the glaring difference was Staubach could run AND pass.

On all those all time Cowboy rosters, I always thought Aikman should be the all time first half quarterback and Roger the all time second half. That would be a formidable duo!


As a franchise we certainly have been spoiled at the QB position.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dahobofest


Joined: 20 Jun 2012
Posts: 839
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way with Romo. If there's enough time, I always think he'll bring em back. However, every time he tried to bring them back, someone would drop a pass Rolling Eyes .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
King John


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 1191
Location: Flotown, Tx
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahobofest wrote:
I feel the same way with Romo. If there's enough time, I always think he'll bring em back. However, every time he tried to bring them back, someone would drop a pass Rolling Eyes .


This tbh, it wasn't until the score was 27 to 7 and the defense couldn't get a stop did I feel we were out of the game. 13 points is nothing and Romo has made bigger comebacks than that before.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 3220
Location: J.J. Wilcox fan club headquarters
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see alot of dropped passes by Dez and Witten, but did anybody else think that Romo was off on the deep ball? He was firing 20 yards past everyone, anytime he went deep...
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pierrepet


Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 5841
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
I did see alot of dropped passes by Dez and Witten, but did anybody else think that Romo was off on the deep ball? He was firing 20 yards past everyone, anytime he went deep...


I am unsure if you are referring to this specific deep ball, but on the play that he overthrew Austin, Tony read the defense perfectly and had Austin continued to run downfield, would have had an easy TD. Instead, Miles broke inside and the ball sailed way over his head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mco65


Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 534
Location: US
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny because I didn't encourage my son to love the Cowboys or football. He just woke up one morning a few years back and was in love with football and the Cowboys. He now eats, sleeps and breaths football. My oldest is not a big fan of football and if he were proclaims he would NOT be a Cowboys fan and thats ok too. To each his own. We live in Atlanta and my son gets some flack about his cowboy jersey when he wears it but he takes it in stride because there are a lot of 'Go Cowboys' coming his way as well.

He plays on an 8 year old team and loves to wear older Cowboy jerseys to practice. He has a #8, #88 and a #31 (roy Williams). He wore #31 to yesterdays practiced and I told him that biscuit played hard so he would have to do the same. He was playing outside LB, ala Demarcus Ware during a late practice scrimmage and on one play he rushed around the end and sacked the QB as he was rolling out in the opposite direction. The QB immediately screamed, ' you were offsides!' I asked me son after the practice if he was offisides and he said 'YEA' but but I didn't see no flag... Good times!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 3851
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
It's funny because I didn't encourage my son to love the Cowboys or football. He just woke up one morning a few years back and was in love with football and the Cowboys. He now eats, sleeps and breaths football. My oldest is not a big fan of football and if he were proclaims he would NOT be a Cowboys fan and thats ok too. To each his own. We live in Atlanta and my son gets some flack about his cowboy jersey when he wears it but he takes it in stride because there are a lot of 'Go Cowboys' coming his way as well.

He plays on an 8 year old team and loves to wear older Cowboy jerseys to practice. He has a #8, #88 and a #31 (roy Williams). He wore #31 to yesterdays practiced and I told him that biscuit played hard so he would have to do the same. He was playing outside LB, ala Demarcus Ware during a late practice scrimmage and on one play he rushed around the end and sacked the QB as he was rolling out in the opposite direction. The QB immediately screamed, ' you were offsides!' I asked me son after the practice if he was offisides and he said 'YEA' but but I didn't see no flag... Good times!


"I didn't see no flag" Good for him. Finished the play. Good instincts.
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WareWolf94


Joined: 28 Apr 2005
Posts: 5509
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through the last 15 years, and at his age. Perhaps the lesson that should be taught is, while it his decision to make that you shouldn't be there for the great times, and be tucked away in the bad.

That's called being a fair weather fan. This is what I'm talking about. The one thing only(mostly) Cowboys fans do. Live in the past. And it directly affects the players on the field today.

Q, Chad Hutchinson, Clint Stoerner, Drew Henson, Vinny, Drew, whatever other QBs Jerry has tried. Whistle to Whistle, I was there.

He's got it easy compared to us the last 15 years.
_________________


Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group