Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Special Teams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Special Teams Reply with quote

Do we really need to rethink the entire special teams and their inability to block on punts?

To have 2 blocked punts in 2 games is absolutely ridiculous.

Players are rushing up the middle and getting to Rocca. Either he needs to hurry up his motions or we need to do a better job blocking.

This should not be an issue and it seems to be creeping up on us.

THoughts?

2014 FFMD Redskins Assistant to the General Manager
2014 NFL Mock Draft
REDSKINS WAR ROOM
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Special Teams Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Do we really need to rethink the entire special teams and their inability to block on punts?

Players are rushing up the middle and getting to Rocca. Either he needs to hurry up his motions or we need to do a better job blocking.

THoughts?

We also had at least one punt blocked last year and 5 FGs and one XP blocked as well.

This is NOT an isolated incident. This is a pattern and since it has gone on so long without improvement I now blame the coaches.

FIRE

DANNY

SMITH!!!!

That what you were looking for?

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Perry Riley's guy - http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000062812/Rams-block-punt

Danny needs to tell his guys that blocking is the priority - protection for STs is essential and that's 10 blocks in 18 games? Not acceptable, and it's hard to blame the personnel when other teams are not having this happen with arguably worse personnel.

Rocca is good enough to do directional punts, so if you are worried about returns, sacrifice 5-10 yards by putting it out of bounds.

Blknite01's masterpiece
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What Thai said, should happen, but not during the season.

2. I also definitely agree with Footy, an emphasis has to be put on blocking better for the punter. It is inexcusable

3. I'll add something though. Rocca is slow! He looks like he's really taking his time getting the punt off and I think that is Attributing to his punts being blocked as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really surprised Dannyh Smith still has a job here with us after 2 straight weeks of a punt being blocked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Special Teams Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
mike23md wrote:

THoughts?

We also had at least one punt blocked last year and 5 FGs and one XP blocked as well.

This is NOT an isolated incident. This is a pattern and since it has gone on so long without improvement I now blame the coaches.

FIRE

DANNY

SMITH!!!!

That what you were looking for?

I agree. These mistakes by Danny Smith's crew has led to points off the board for us or points scored by the other team. This is the most pathetic special teams blocking unit I have ever seen. He has to go.

^ El Ramster
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't we have this complaint every year?
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that its about Danny Smith as it is so much about the inability of the plethora of kickers that have run through here.

In this case, it relies on Smith and the coaching of his special teams units to actually block someone.

2014 FFMD Redskins Assistant to the General Manager
2014 NFL Mock Draft
REDSKINS WAR ROOM
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:

We do, but apparently people in football and the media LOVE Danny Smith for some crazy reason. They always note that he's #1 in coverage on kicks. Who cares? Now that we have a punter who can kick the ball more than 30 yards and with the rule change that makes most kickoffs touchbacks, who cares if we are #1 in coverage? We need to be #1 in not having kicks blocked and returned for points!

Fire Danny Smith.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:
Woz wrote:

We do, but apparently people in football and the media LOVE Danny Smith for some crazy reason. They always note that he's #1 in coverage on kicks. Who cares? Now that we have a punter who can kick the ball more than 30 yards and with the rule change that makes most kickoffs touchbacks, who cares if we are #1 in coverage? We need to be #1 in not having kicks blocked and returned for points!

Fire Danny Smith.

Earlier this week, one of the sports talking heads did make an interesting point: Danny Smith is always the guy in Mike's ear when discussing challenges and the like, and late game decisions. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: