Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are we a dying breed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPFINUK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation there's plenty of Dolphins fans in the UK. Most NFL fans over here starting watching the game in the mid 80s so, from those days, it's either the Dolphins or Bears. Unfortunately I do see the odd Brady shirt around every now and again.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Deets wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
neezy007 wrote:
9er fan here, but I think it would help if the Dolphins darkened their colors. To a, you know, Miami Hurricane type jersey.
Ross is apparently working on that one. We'll see what he comes up with next season.

I never understood the jersey hate. I've always thought Miami had the best logo/jerseys in professional sports.
Ross needs some revenue from his investment. Changing team colors and logos is an easy way to generate merchandise sales.

My understanding of merchandise sales is that the money doesn't go to the individual teams. All merchandise sales, from all teams, goes into one giant pot and is divided up equally. So, the uniform change should have little impact on Stephen Ross and his bottom line.

With that said, I tend to agree with Deets, I don't see the need to change the uniforms, but it is what it is. And it sounds like we will see some significant change in the off season.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this article on profootballtalk and wanted to respond but couldnt remember my password. I live in DC and you will surprised by the amount of Fins fans here. When the FIns played the Skins a few years back we were present. I do not think core Fins fans live in Miami any longer. Due to the depressed job market in South Florida, many have left for greener pastures. I saw the game on NFL Direct Ticket, did that contribute to the TV ratings? But I do agree, there is no younger Fins fan generation because they want to identify with a winner. And as sad as it is to say, the Miami Dolphins franchise are not winners. I recall 10 years ago Miami was considered the winningest franchise by percentage. I am sure after a myriad of 6 and 1 win seasons, they are not that any longer.

It would not shock me if Ross moved the team to LA. He has no allegiance to Miami. All he cares about is making a quick buck. The fans do not support the team, which I do not blame them. Its an old stadium, granted with improvements, but is still a old staduim. YOu can bet in 5 years Ross will be campaigning for a new stadium. HOpefully by that time a franchise QB will have been identified.
Roy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some young Dolphins fans. Just hard to like a team that's been flopping for a decade. Though where I live is a lot of Cowboys fans.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young fan here. Unfortunately, lots of Jets and Patriot fans here in Miami. Though I do see the occasional dolphins sweater or hat. The new era hats look awesome by the way. 30 buck for a hat though is crazy. SA had a special for buy one get another 50% off. Been wearing them everyday. Gotta make use of those 50 bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 year old phin fan. Live in tennessee. I'm the only true dolphins fan I know.

But even this forum seems low on numbers compared to other forums on this site.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum, for one reason or another, has been dying down in activity since year 2 of the Sparano era. There have been a great number of posters that have come and gone through here...but the consistency numbers just aren't where they've been in the past.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
phinmun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left because it was just so overly negative. Plus, I know I'm not the only person who 'took an extended break' from forum activities.

Did the crappy Dolphin teams create that? I don't know. It probably had a lot to do with it. I'd like to think that other teams with more talent and success don't bicker but in reality it's probably just covered up by temporary topics that outnumber those of a 'bad' team like Miami. After all is said and done though, there's an awful lot of back and forth that doesn't get resolved.

After awhile you just get sick of it. You get sick of reading 20 people chime in to agree on something that's overly critical of the team or the same two diametrically-opposed opinions square off in a match of who can present more circumstantial evidence than the other.

Me and Merc have gone back and forth about Ireland in about 20 threads it seems like--some of which were Ireland-related, some not--but at least I can respect his argument because I basically believe what he's saying. I'm spinning towards the positive, he towards the negative. Neither one of us are completely transparent. Ireland's definitely made mistakes but an honest evaluation of the team we saw in week 1 and week 2 shows us that he's not garbage either and that there's a lot of promise for this team.

At least with us there's a level of respect I think and thankfully neither of us is afraid to post at length not only what we think but also why.

That said, he's seen this team through the good times. I'm young enough that all I've ever known was mediocre football. I don't know what's worse, never having something or never knowing you had something to miss. I guess that's why I'm optimistic about things and he is--by comparision with me at least--more cynical. Most fans I know who are 10 or more years my senior, dislike the team's management and assume it's horrible. All they knew was 70s dominance, 80s virtuosity and 90s teams that over-achieved.

What have I known as a post-Marino-era Dolphins fan? I don't know if there's a word to desribe it, quite honestly. All I realy have is hope. Laughing
carlos2104

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
I left because it was just so overly negative. Plus, I know I'm not the only person who 'took an extended break' from forum activities.

Did the crappy Dolphin teams create that? I don't know. It probably had a lot to do with it. I'd like to think that other teams with more talent and success don't bicker but in reality it's probably just covered up by temporary topics that outnumber those of a 'bad' team like Miami. After all is said and done though, there's an awful lot of back and forth that doesn't get resolved.

After awhile you just get sick of it. You get sick of reading 20 people chime in to agree on something that's overly critical of the team or the same two diametrically-opposed opinions square off in a match of who can present more circumstantial evidence than the other.

Me and Merc have gone back and forth about Ireland in about 20 threads it seems like--some of which were Ireland-related, some not--but at least I can respect his argument because I basically believe what he's saying. I'm spinning towards the positive, he towards the negative. Neither one of us are completely transparent. Ireland's definitely made mistakes but an honest evaluation of the team we saw in week 1 and week 2 shows us that he's not garbage either and that there's a lot of promise for this team.

At least with us there's a level of respect I think and thankfully neither of us is afraid to post at length not only what we think but also why.

That said, he's seen this team through the good times. I'm young enough that all I've ever known was mediocre football. I don't know what's worse, never having something or never knowing you had something to miss. I guess that's why I'm optimistic about things and he is--by comparision with me at least--more cynical. Most fans I know who are 10 or more years my senior, dislike the team's management and assume it's horrible. All they knew was 70s dominance, 80s virtuosity and 90s teams that over-achieved.

What have I known as a post-Marino-era Dolphins fan? I don't know if there's a word to desribe it, quite honestly. All I realy have is hope. Laughing
The negativity is why I left for so long. I love this forum, been reading it since around 05. But the last couple years you couldn't be optimistic without getting attacked...by FELLOW Dolphin Fans. It's gotten better. I know we've been terrible for so long and we're all frustrated...but come on guys. cheer up
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first joined this forum it was one of the most active of FF, but now it seems very little gets posted....I understand it's hard to be a Dolphin fan these days and many of the "old guys are gone" (or I haven't seen them since i started reading the forum again) In the end...a few successful season and you will see the "fans" come back....
dolphin1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:

This hit it on the head for me. I still read the forum daily without signing in however. I've never been a big poster at all but chimed in when I felt I had something different to say. It got to the point a few years ago though where everyone was overly negative about one thing or another and it just made it harder to be a contributing member. Still love the Fins and the forum. Just don't post a lot. I have seen a lot of Fin fans in California and New York over the years while travelling, and here in South Florida you see them of course, but they tend to pop up more during game day (especially after a win) than other times. So I don't think we are a dying breed at all. On the contrary I think we have one of the largest albeit most spread out fan bases in the NFL. I am also a younger fin fan (28 years old) and started supporting the team in 1998 and I think there is a little difference in how older fans view the team than younger fans. Also, here in South Florida the fans are fickle but on top of that they also seem to attach themselves with one of the South Florida franchises over the others. If you're a Heat fan they are your priority and the Fins are less important and vice versa. In other cities around the country (Boston, New York and Chicago especially) sports fans are usually SPORTS fans and support all their local franchises fully. Being fickle, South Florida fans will lend their full support once a winning team is put on the field though.

check out my blog: everysport.sportsblog.com
SUG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one have come down hard on Coaches - GMs & VPs, no question.

But the thought has never crossed my mind to switch teams or stop rootin for my boyz.

Then again I'm 46 - 47 yrs old (I forget) & I've been watching & lovin the Phins since I can remember sitting
on my dads lap in 1972.

I've met dozens of people that have said "I used to love the Phins, now I like ..."

They are not what I remotely consider as "Fans".
There is a huge difference between are "NFL enthusiasts" & true fans.

That is the whole point of me coming here to the FF the past 5 yrs.
Seen them come & go & we will still loose some more "enthusiasts" before this thing turns around for the boyz.

I hope I can still banter with some of you in another 5 yrs when I have 10,000 posts.

Frank & Merc aren't goin anywhere.

sug
ZenZuki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
I never understood the jersey hate. I've always thought Miami had the best logo/jerseys in professional sports.

This!

I love our colors and they work for us (as seen last week) by being light colored and forcing opponents to don dark colors and soak up the South Florida Sun!

As far as the attendance thing.... As in Cali, there are a lot of transplants who bring their own team love with them, as well as there being so much to do in South Florida, that if the product on the field sucks.... people will find other forms of entertainment.

Start winning games..... and things will change!

So hop to it already Phins! Very Happy

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:

Frank & Merc aren't goin anywhere.

Actually, Frank is already gone. Not that he doesn't root for the Dolphins, but he has deactivated his account, from what I understand.

But you are right, I ain't going anywhere. I will be root for the Dolphins until my dying breath. I don't know if I have a choice in the matter anymore. So you and I could end up being the last two Dolphins fans on the planet, sug, but I will be rooting my rear end off with you til the bitter end.
ZenZuki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be right there with ya Merc to keep ya company! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: