Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Hot Seat - Norv Turner's 2012 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've beat two 0-2 teams that are ranked in the bottom 5 in the league. I am not crowning Norv anything yet. Games are won in November, December by having a healthy set of lines and while our defensive line has looked amazing, our offensive line is average with very little depth right now.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
Oh I agree that Brown is the weak link of the backfield. But he is the best at blocking and still offers something in the screen game. In that regard he is an asset since this team will be passing the ball a lot.

I agree, i dont think he's been misused at all...

He's a great blocker, and a great receiver, he wont do much in open space, but we use that as an extention of our running game, that quick little screen play to get him out in space, so if he's getting 5-10 yards per, he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do.

Because we're absolutely a pass first offense, he's gonna get the bulk of the snaps, and you cant just use him when we pass or we become obvious, so we have to give him a good portion of the carries.

Brink Is a shifty little back, but he's a fighter, he'll lower his head and fight for the extra yardage. He's been used perfectly. Lots out outside toss plays to him, and stretch plays with some power/counter plays squeezed in there.

Battle hasn't been used much at all. We barely used him at all in the Raider game, but he's a great pounder and IMO would make our OL look a lot better early in games because he'll drive the pile with his momentum for an extra 2 or 3 yards almost every play.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
We've beat two 0-2 teams that are ranked in the bottom 5 in the league. I am not crowning Norv anything yet. Games are won in November, December by having a healthy set of lines and while our defensive line has looked amazing, our offensive line is average with very little depth right now.

It doesn't matter who we played to see the plays we're running or how he's using the personal. It really doesn't matter who we're playing to see the things that norv can control. How he managed the bigtime injuries we've had so far has been awesome, and so has the playcalling/gameplans. So far he's been great, we'll see what he does when we really need to make something happen. The only thing he hasn't shown yet is how he playcalls situations where we need to score under pressure and/or in short periods of time. We'll see what we can do.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:

This is the same league where the Patriots lost to the Cardinals, the Saints are 0-2, and plenty of 1-0 teams lost to 0-1 teams yesterday. The Titans finished last year at 9-7, and the Raiders at 8-8. So it wasn't like we beat up the Colts and the Browns.

Obviously the season has a long ways to go. And I promise when Norv starts making the stupid mistakes we all know him for I will be posting about it right here in this thread. But a 2-0 start is a 2-0 start. Only 6 teams in the NFL are 2-0.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I said I would post here when things went bad, and they went bad today.

Norv is not at fault for the drops, fumbles and INTs. But he is at fault for not giving help to the guys who need it. Harris has performed much better than anyone expected when he signed as a free agent, but he needs as much help as he can get. That goes for Clary as well. If Norv needs to run more plays with 7 protecting in order to keep Rivers upright, thats what he needs to start doing. He was unable to adjust his offense to the poor performance of the line and was the major reason this offense did nothing today.

The defense also had it's share of problems, but I'm not sure that is on Norv. But if you want to vent about the poor secondary with Jammer, Cason, and Bigby all looking terrible today do so.

The bright side is this was a game against an NFC opponent. So it was nott he worst loss in the world even though it feels really bad.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the team played a solid game today, the front 7 gave the team a huge boost with plenty of strips and pressure. Credit to Pagano for coming out with a much better gameplan.

As for the offense, I am concerned with a few areas. In the first half, the Chargers were only getting about one yard per carry. The running game needs to start getting better production. Now the second half was much better with Mathews and Battle both playing well, and Brown having a few nice receptions.

What concerns me though is Royal and Meacham having very little impact in the passing game. Neither have had more than 2 catches in a game this year. Granted, 2 games have been semi-blowouts from the start, but I have not been seen a game where the passing game has clicked on a consistent basis. Hopefully we will see Royal and Meacham more involved in the coming games.

-Did we have an injury at the end of the first half? Why did Norv call a timeout after the Chiefs got the first down.

-Like the surprise onside kick call. Game ends easily if Weddle recovers and you get a chance to see if it works if yo want to use it down the road.

- Poor challenge on the fumble, guess he thought the replacement refs were still out there :p
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defense played amazing, but again Norv's bullishness about "establishing the run" destroys the rhythm on offense. That third quarter play calling was horrible on Norv's part. W are fortunate that the Chiefs didn't capitalize on those 3 three and outs.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning in KC is a big deal. I still can't credit Norv or hop on the hopeful bus. We can't count on having a +4 turnover against contenders. This offense needs to eat more time and score more points. I am losing my mind on these giveaways in the red zone. That was a 14 point error. Come on Rivers I said you were an elite quarterback now show me the red zone offense from the Marty Era.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald Butler has broken out. He had a great game and was all over the place making plays. We need him to stay healthy and lead this defense.

SP95 is still awesome.

Lieuget and Martin look scary, resign Martin already!

Any update on V. Brown?

My love/hate relationship with Gaither continues.

Credit to Clary where it is due. I like the fire he showed when he got pulled for a play.

Cason is a poor mans Cromartie where instincts or luck replaced athletic talent.

EverythingSF wrote:
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Novak got the signals messed up, so the onside kick he attempted wasn't a call by the coaching staff. I thought it was pretty uncharacteristic decision by Norv Laughing
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
Apparently Novak got the signals messed up, so the onside kick he attempted wasn't a call by the coaching staff. I thought it was pretty uncharacteristic decision by Norv Laughing

I like the call, and it almost worked. Unless you are playing Tampa Bay there is no risk to injury by just kneeling down 3 times.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Donald Butler has broken out. He had a great game and was all over the place making plays. We need him to stay healthy and lead this defense.

SP95 is still awesome.

Lieuget and Martin look scary, resign Martin already!

Any update on V. Brown?

My love/hate relationship with Gaither continues.

Credit to Clary where it is due. I like the fire he showed when he got pulled for a play.

Cason is a poor mans Cromartie where instincts or luck replaced athletic talent.

Don't know that we have the cap space. We keep making little marginal, likely vet min signings, but last I was aware we were pretty well up against the cap right now (only about 3 mill wiggle room max unless we borrow from next year's allotment as is allowed by the CBA, but let's face it... Deano's cheap).

As for Brown, looks like Wk 6 is the best-case scenario, but with our bye being Wk 7, I wouldn't expect them to rush him back in Wk 6 unless it's 1) Absolutely necessitated by injuries or 2) He's waaay ahead of schedule. Apparently the plan has been to feature him pretty prominently since before he got injured, so they won't want to jeopardize his getting another injury or re-aggravating the one he's got.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Dean cheap? Never understood that. We're always up against the cap.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you wondering about Royal, he lacks explosion and seperation when he runs his routes. He runs good routes but when the defender knows he won't blaze right by him, no point playing off of him. I remember one time, Royal did a double move and yeah the defender did not bite. I do miss Royal, he was a good teammate and a reliable punt returner.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want nothing more than for Norv to be fired and come back to be our OC forever and ever and ever and ever.

Whats the chances of that happening?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: