Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Playcalling + Garrett = D'oh
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acowboys62

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TSSS, to add to your earlier remark concerning softening the D and using Play action pass:

Garrett has only called a Play Action Pass FOUR times this year so far. The results of those four passes?

40 yards
1 TD

Good stat.

Teams still use playaction often, even if it's just a feint. The playaction pass use to be a huge staple of the Boys' passing attack but it's pretty much gone. A slight feint can hold the LBs and create space in the middle of the field and in the flats. It's not rocket science.

If people watch the 49ers, their offence has been quite effective because they use the playaction pass often. It also helps that they run the football.

If one looks at the Eagles-Ravens game yesterday, one of the big reasons why Baltimore lost was because they pretty much forgot about Ray Rice. At one point, Rice had 95 yards on 10 carries, and this was at the start of the 4th Quarter.

Murray is a huge part of the offence, but he was ignored in the game plan yesterday. That cannot happen even if he's only averaging 3.8 YPC. His physical style plus the constant hammering of the DL by the OL will wear a defence down. And maybe, just maybe Felix Jones can come in and benefit and, therefore, make a contribution.

Once of my favorite plays we used to run was when all signs pointed to us using the draw and instead we play actioned from that. I felt like Romo always made a good read then because he got the little freeze from the LBs and was already able to scan the field.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To loosen up a defence that is blitzing (and the Seahawks didn't blitz that often actually), you throw a quick fade route, but this wasn't called yesterday. Or, you throw a screen pass a couple of times. This, too, wasn't called.

This is very true, and something I forgot to mention, but was reminded to mention when I read The_Slamman's reply to me above. Excellent point for sure. If they blitz you hard, you hit a fade, a screen, or call bootlegs to get your QB on the perimeter where he is capable of making plays.

And when you have a soeedy, evasive guy like Felix Jones..you've got to get him in space and drop the screen to him when you're being blitzed. It's what he's there for. What he was drafted for.

Quote:

And if the OL is having difficulty protecting Romo, like the OL was in the 2nd half, you run the football and punish the DL. Even if the gain is only 2 or 3 yards, you run it again and again.

Another great point I was going to mention! Definitely agree.

So what if Murray averaged 3 yards per carry? That is 3 yards per carry! If your back can keep pounding it for 3, 2, 2, 1, 4, you put yourself in third and shorts - much more manageable situations than if you throw two incompletes prior to that third down. And if you keep grinding that DL down, hitting them for 3 yards each rush, one of those big runs always follows. And the moment they're huffing and puffing, strugglling to plug the gaps, you hit 'em over the top with a playaction.

Of course, it is easier said than done - it's a recipe every team has tried to follow at some point and failed. But you at least try, when your usual attack isn't working, you have to at least try something new. And running was supposed to be the team's 'new dimension' this season, with Murray and the new OL and Vickers.
Quote:

Garrett's playcalling yesterday was atrocious. Romo's decision-making didn't help matters and the drops only further magnified the offence's ineptitude. But still, Garrett has to make adjustments and find different ways to win games. He's extremely poor in this area as a coordinator.

Well said for sure.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's game was an example of what happens when you're patient with the run. Seattle had little to no success rushing the football in the 1st half and even early in the 2nd half. However, they didn't abandon the run and Lynch was able to break a couple of long runs. In addition, the heavy TE set gave a run appearance but the Seahawks threw out of it leading to a TD.

Sure the Seahawks were leading, but they had a 3-point lead at halftime. It wasn't like they had a comfortable lead nor were they dominating the game at that point. But they came up with a gameplan to wear down the Boys in the 2nd half and it worked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Murray became the starter:

20 or more carries - 6-0
Less than 20 carries - 0-3

Romo's record over the last 17 games (not including Week 16's game against Philly since he played 1 drive):

35 pass attempts or more - 2-7
30 to 34 attempts - 4-1
Less than 30 attempts - 3-0

I'll just add that in Romo's career in Dallas, he has won 75% of all games where he is sacked once or less. He has won less than 50% of games where he is sacked twice or more.

It seems pretty simple to me. What do the Cowboys have to do to win? Play balanced football and protect Romo.

Why don't the Cowboys do that every game? Because the OL can't open holes for the RB which puts Dallas behind in down and distance.

Look at Romo's "yards to go" on 3rd down...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012091608/2012/REG2/cowboys@seahawks#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

3-5-DAL 21 (obvious passing down... seahawks stop, punt gets blocked)
3-9-DAL 21 (obvious passing down)
3-10-DAL 46 (obvious passing down)
3-15-SEA 49 (obvious passing down)
3-6-DAL 9 (obvious passing down)
3-6-DAL 30 (obvious passing down)
3-13-DAL 36 (obvious passing down)
3-8-SEA 45 (obvious passing down)
3-2-DAL 22*** Reasonable down and distance... Dallas runs shot gun pass
3-10-DAL 30 (obvious passing down)
3-3-SEA 40*** Reasonable down and distance- Pass incomplete
3-8-DAL 33 (obvious passing down)
3-1-DAL 30*** first 3rd down run and it was converted
3-20-DAL 37 (obvious passing down)
3-14-DAL 15 (obvious passing down)

Dallas had 15 3rd down plays. 12 of the 15 were obvious passing downs. 3 of the 15 had run pass options. One of the 3 was actually called a run.

All say it again... No QB (not Romo or anybody) can be expected to pick up 3rd and long routinely. The fact that Romo did it against NYG is a credit to Romo but CANNOT be expected every game. When a defense knows a QB has to pass, the offense loses it's biggest advantage over the defense.

What's the number 1 thing that needs to happen for Dallas to have a greater probability of winning??? Improve the offensive line to protect Romo (75% chance of winning) and get Murray more carries (nearly 100% chance of winning). -

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's compare that to Seattle's 3rd down and yards to go...

3-3-DAL 22
3-3-DAL 3
3-15-SEA 49
3-7-SEA 29
3-1- 50 yard line
3-3-DAL 19
3-13-DAL 15
3-2-SEA 17
3-14-SEA 32
(Seattle has an 8 play series for a TD W/O a 3rd down... moving the chains)
(Seattle has a 13 play series with only on 3rd down... 3-4 from Dal 11)

Seattle had 10 3rd down plays. 6 of the 10 were 3rd and short. 4 were obvious passing downs. For Seattle 60% of the time, they had a favorable 3rd down distance to go. For Dallas, they only had a favorable 3rd down distance to go on 20% of the occasions.

That's how a rookie QB is able to win a game like this. Seattle stayed ahead of the down and distance. Dallas was constantly behind on down and distance.

TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Since Murray became the starter:

20 or more carries - 6-0
Less than 20 carries - 0-3

Romo's record over the last 17 games (not including Week 16's game against Philly since he played 1 drive):

35 pass attempts or more - 2-7
30 to 34 attempts - 4-1
Less than 30 attempts - 3-0

I'll just add that in Romo's career in Dallas, he has won 75% of all games where he is sacked once or less. He has won less than 50% of games where he is sacked twice or more.

It seems pretty simple to me. What do the Cowboys have to do to win? Play balanced football and protect Romo.

Why don't the Cowboys do that every game? Because the OL can't open holes for the RB which puts Dallas behind in down and distance.

Look at Romo's "yards to go" on 3rd down...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012091608/2012/REG2/cowboys@seahawks#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay

3-5-DAL 21 (obvious passing down... seahawks stop, punt gets blocked)
3-9-DAL 21 (obvious passing down)
3-10-DAL 46 (obvious passing down)
3-15-SEA 49 (obvious passing down)
3-6-DAL 9 (obvious passing down)
3-6-DAL 30 (obvious passing down)
3-13-DAL 36 (obvious passing down)
3-8-SEA 45 (obvious passing down)
3-2-DAL 22*** Reasonable down and distance... Dallas runs shot gun pass
3-10-DAL 30 (obvious passing down)
3-3-SEA 40*** Reasonable down and distance- Pass incomplete
3-8-DAL 33 (obvious passing down)
3-1-DAL 30*** first 3rd down run and it was converted
3-20-DAL 37 (obvious passing down)
3-14-DAL 15 (obvious passing down)

Dallas had 15 3rd down plays. 12 of the 15 were obvious passing downs. 3 of the 15 had run pass options. One of the 3 was actually called a run.

All say it again... No QB (not Romo or anybody) can be expected to pick up 3rd and long routinely. The fact that Romo did it against NYG is a credit to Romo but CANNOT be expected every game. When a defense knows a QB has to pass, the offense loses it's biggest advantage over the defense.

What's the number 1 thing that needs to happen for Dallas to have a greater probability of winning??? Improve the offensive line to protect Romo (75% chance of winning) and get Murray more carries (nearly 100% chance of winning). -

Just goes to show the team needs to get into more 3rd-and-short situations, which is best achieved by running the ball. And to say the OL can't open holes for Murray would be hyperbole because the line showed against the Giants that it can create holes. It also created some holes for Murray yesterday.

Last year's line was arguably worse than this year's version, and yet Murray was able to average 5.5 YPC. Some of it is on Murray, but the OL also deserves credit for his success last year and in last week's game. He averaged 3.7 YPC yesterday, which isn't that bad but he only had 12 carries. Twelve carries! That's inexcusable, especially since the game was still close until the fourth quarter.

I think the OL is pretty good at run blocking, but it struggles when asked to constantly pass block. This should be obvious to Garrett.

Romo also needs to change his cadence, which is difficult with a new center. Still, defences appear to be getting great jumps off his snap.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Let's compare that to Seattle's 3rd down and yards to go...

3-3-DAL 22
3-3-DAL 3
3-15-SEA 49
3-7-SEA 29
3-1- 50 yard line
3-3-DAL 19
3-13-DAL 15
3-2-SEA 17
3-14-SEA 32
(Seattle has an 8 play series for a TD W/O a 3rd down... moving the chains)
(Seattle has a 13 play series with only on 3rd down... 3-4 from Dal 11)

Seattle had 10 3rd down plays. 6 of the 10 were 3rd and short. 4 were obvious passing downs. For Seattle 60% of the time, they had a favorable 3rd down distance to go. For Dallas, they only had a favorable 3rd down distance to go on 20% of the occasions.

That's how a rookie QB is able to win a game like this. Seattle stayed ahead of the down and distance. Dallas was constantly behind on down and distance.

I'll say it again - a lot of the Seahawks' 3rd-and-short situations were due to running the ball. They ran it consistently even if there was minimal gain after first down. Garrett, though, has throughout his career as a coordinator abandoned the running game if it has minimal success, even after a single carry. It's rare for him to call 2 consecutive running plays and it's a blue-moon event when he calls 3 consecutive running plays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show the team needs to get into more 3rd-and-short situations, which is best achieved by running the ball. And to say the OL can't open holes for Murray would be hyperbole because the line showed against the Giants that it can create holes. It also created some holes for Murray yesterday.

Last year's line was arguably worse than this year's version, and yet Murray was able to average 5.5 YPC. Some of it is on Murray, but the OL also deserves credit for his success last year and in last week's game. He averaged 3.7 YPC yesterday, which isn't that bad but he only had 12 carries. Twelve carries! That's inexcusable, especially since the game was still close until the fourth quarter.

I think the OL is pretty good at run blocking, but it struggles when asked to constantly pass block. This should be obvious to Garrett.

Romo also needs to change his cadence, which is difficult with a new center. Still, defences appear to be getting great jumps off his snap.

I disagree about the OL's run blocking against the Giants. Some of Murrays best runs are by making something out of nothing. His best run of the season should have been a 5 yard loss. Against the Giants defense, let's remember that Romo beat them deep several times which did force NYG to play more conservative on defense which opened up more room for murray. That did not happen until Romo hit Dez deep at the end of the first half and Ogletree deep at the beginning of the second half. If you look at Murrays first half numbers before that... they were terrible. Trust me, hitting those deep plays did more for Murray than Dallas' OL.

TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, as the start of the 3rd Quarter against the Giants, Murray started gaining yards. He had 3 carries for 15 yards and then Romo hit Ogletree for a 40-yard TD. That only made the score 14-3.

He then had that great run on the next drive, where the team only had a FG.

I don't think the Bryant pass had an impact since it was late in the 2nd Quarter, and the Giants were only down 7-3 at halftime and had controlled the Cowboys' offence to that point. A more balanced attack in the 2nd half opened things up with the team executing in all facets of the game. Well, the OL still struggled with penalties and pass protection.

My point about using the running game to get into 3rd-and-short situations still stands. Garrett has little to no patience with the running game, but to avoid those obvious passing situations you need to run the football. 2nd-and-6 or -7 is better than 2nd-and-10 and 3rd-and-3 is clearly better than 3rd-and-10.

I'm not saying the Boys need to run the ball on every first and second down, but Garrett needs to commit to it for a full 60 minutes. That means giving Murray 20+ carries and allowing him to run the ball on 3 or more consecutive plays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, as the start of the 3rd Quarter against the Giants, Murray started gaining yards. He had 3 carries for 15 yards and then Romo hit Ogletree for a 40-yard TD. That only made the score 14-3.

He then had that great run on the next drive, where the team only had a FG.

I don't think the Bryant pass had an impact since it was late in the 2nd Quarter, and the Giants were only down 7-3 at halftime and had controlled the Cowboys' offence to that point. A more balanced attack in the 2nd half opened things up with the team executing in all facets of the game. Well, the OL still struggled with penalties and pass protection.

My point about using the running game to get into 3rd-and-short situations still stands. Garrett has little to no patience with the running game, but to avoid those obvious passing situations you need to run the football. 2nd-and-6 or -7 is better than 2nd-and-10 and 3rd-and-3 is clearly better than 3rd-and-10.

I'm not saying the Boys need to run the ball on every first and second down, but Garrett needs to commit to it for a full 60 minutes. That means giving Murray 20+ carries and allowing him to run the ball on 3 or more consecutive plays.

You know that I agree with you that we need to run the ball more. But, I also don't think that the OL is good enough to consistently open up running lanes. I think that hitting big plays down the field helps open up the defense. Before the 38 yard completion to Dez, Murray rushed the ball 7 times for 23 yards (3.3 ypc). Against seattle, Murray finished with a 3.7 YPC.

Bob Sturm really had a great article on this very issue where he compared Garretts play call at home vs on the road...

Quote:
when the Cowboys have been at home this season, on 1st and 10, the Cowboys have run 177 plays. The splits for those 177 snaps to start a play sequence has been 98 runs and 79 passes. The 55%/45% split demonstrates proper balance for a balanced offense. On 1st Down, you run the ball more because on 3rd Down, you almost never run. But as a whole, 55% runs on 1st Down will mean that your overall balance will be intact.

Conversely, when the Cowboys have played their 6 games on the road, they have had 172 1st and 10 situations. The splits on 1st Down when they have been on the road has seen just 68 runs and 104 passes. This 39%/61% split on 1st and 10 sets the Cowboys up for days where they never get anything done on the ground and become a 1-dimensional team. We have even heard explanations about the opponent putting an eighth man in the box to encourage the Cowboys to start slinging the ball around the yard.

Those last several paragraphs are why people like me constantly beg Jerry Jones to properly address his offensive and defensive lines. Once you can protect and fortify your pass protection and run game, then you can actually get back to the objectives of football. To grind out a win by forcing your will on your opponent, rather than trying to keep Vince Wilfork or Jason Pierre Paul from injuring your QB. And, what would be so bad about having a few players on defense that put the fear of Randy White in the minds of your opponents?

Football is a game that is won up front. And it always has been. Despite the evolutions in the game, it still comes back to the line of scrimmage.

Here's the thing, Garrett has shown willingness to run the ball. But, he will abandon the run if it's not working... especially on the road. Unless the OL shows that it can win the battle of the trenches, I don't think the run/pass ratio will change too much.

Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Fisher once said, "running backs create their own holes by being patient and making a smart cut to the opening." It's very true.

I mean, sure. Linemen are responsible for physically creating the openings for the runner. But taking it slow and patient, and finding the right moment to burst, is what creates good holes for a runner. It's rare you see the big gaping lanes that they highlight on TV. Those holes open up after tons of tiny holes and lots of rushing attempts are put in - you have to work towards those just like any big pass play.

The offensive line isn't good. That is a given. But the holes were there for a guy like Murray, who can 'make something out of nothing' utilizing his patience and burst (just like any good runner does in the NFL). The problem was, the attempts weren't there.

Keep putting in the attempts, and something will come together on the ground. Even if it's not something big, you at least manage better third down scenarios.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: