Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Playcalling + Garrett = D'oh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Playcalling + Garrett = D'oh Reply with quote

I think Garrett is the coach this team has needed for a while. He's straight forward, football minded, etc.

But what I saw yesterday, the week before, heck even back to last season and the season before, is questionable playcalling from our offensive guru Head coach (and Offensive Coordinator).

Dallas was not down by 30 something points. There was half of a football game left, and Murray had been running hard most of the time he had gotten the ball. Why abandon the run? What sense does it make to continue to force passing plays (particularly deep routes, which is even more questionable) when you're only down a score or two and theres 2 quarters of football left to play?

Then, not only does Garrett abandon the run, he's calling passes that are not suited for this team. Where are our 'money' plays - Witten up the seam, Bryant on corner, Austin on the Sluggo or a RB on a deep flat? These are plays we use frequently in most of our wins under the Garrett offense. Yet instead we're sending Austin on tough curl routes, Bryant on deep posts, Witten on sharp outs...routes and play calls that this team mixes in now and then to success, but never relies on so heavily as we tried to do yesterday.

Even our "famous" draw from the singleback, three wide shotgun...where was it? I can't stand how often we run that play. It's always so obvious when it is coming, too. But it does have that nasty little habit of working for us - so where was it? Third and 4, down by only a score... and we come out 4 wide, run four deep routes, and we go three and out. Why? Nine times out of ten we'd have run the draw and converted or nearly converted. Third andf four is not where you want to take a deep shot... especially with our line playing as awful as they were.

Could I have done better? I don't know. Maybe. Perhaps not. Who knows? But what i do know, is that Garrett's playcalling all too often gets this team in more trouble than it should be in.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not necessarily trying to defend Garrett or Romo for that matter, but here is what I saw...

They were trying to loosen up Seattle's defense by hitting a big play or 2. The problem is that we don't know if it would have worked or not because the chances where they really could have made Seattle pay ended up being dropped by the receivers instead of going for a huge gain or a TD.

If Witten catches that pass, Dallas goes into the half with the lead and perhaps Seattle's defense plays a lot more conservative in the second half so as to not give up any more easy points.

I just think that when the OL was getting overwhelmed like that, the best way to slow down the pass rush and blitzes is to beat them deep. Garrett tried to do that. Obviously it didn't work out but I agree with the principle of it.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
I'm not necessarily trying to defend Garrett or Romo for that matter, but here is what I saw...

They were trying to loosen up Seattle's defense by hitting a big play or 2. The problem is that we don't know if it would have worked or not because the chances where they really could have made Seattle pay ended up being dropped by the receivers instead of going for a huge gain or a TD.

If Witten catches that pass, Dallas goes into the half with the lead and perhaps Seattle's defense plays a lot more conservative in the second half so as to not give up any more easy points.

I just think that when the OL was getting overwhelmed like that, the best way to slow down the pass rush and blitzes is to beat them deep. Garrett tried to do that. Obviously it didn't work out but I agree with the principle of it.

While I'm not disagreeing with the point you made regarding a big play or two loosening up the defense, it still baffles me that Garrett would continually call for such plays when they clearly weren't working.

Regardless of it's drops, or a sack, or a batted bass - the passes down field were just not working. Try something else. Do something else. Anything else other than what hasn't been working. Eventually you've just got to draw up a new idea or two when the old ones aren't working. You can't be so rigid in today's NFL - isn't that the very reason also, that so many fans and even personnel of the team were anxiously awaiting for Bill Parcells to resign or retire, or otherwise simply not coach the team anymore? He was too rigid for today's NFL, he wouldn't change it up when things weren't working, and it'd make the problem worse. That is what Garrett did yesterday.

And has been doing, since he took over the offense.

EDIT to add: And at some point, you've just got to wonder if Garrett is ever going to learn that teams like the New Orleans Brees's, the New England Brady's and the Green Bay Rodgers's throw the ball so often out of spread sets to much success because that is how those teams are built. Dallas is not built that way.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I'm not necessarily trying to defend them. Murray was only getting 3 YPC. Seattle was taking away the short patterns that NYG were happy to give up. And Seattle was blitzing and bring constant pressure. The fastest way to level the playing field is to hit them deep.

I agree with you that it would be nice to have an offense dictate the game to the defense, but we don't have an offensive line that can do that. What we do have is a QB who is a wizard at escaping pressure and hitting a big play. In a sense, you could actually say Garrett was playing to the offenses strength.

Disagree?

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
mco65

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play calling is always questioned in a loss. But play calling can't be blamed for the dropped passes which could have changed the ball game drastically.

I am old school and prefer to run the ball more than pass and I felt Murray was running well but when you are constantly faced with 3rd and 5 you can't run much.. They didn't convert many 3rd downs in the 2nd half like they did in the first.

Last edited by mco65 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Play calling is always questioned in a loss. But play calling can't be blamed for the dropped passes which could have changed the ball game drastically.

I am sold school and prefer to run the ball more than pass and I felt Murray was running well but when you are constantly faced with 3rd and 5 you can't run much.. They didn't convert many 3rd downs in the 2nd half like they did in the first.

Exactly. I don't think Garretts playcalling was the main issue. It was simply lack of execution which seems to be another constant problem with this team (and thats a whole other conversation).

This is a legit question. I have GameRewind but can't watch it at work right now. Anyone know how many of the dropped balls would have been first downs?

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
mco65

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have game rewind but record all the Cowboy games.. but don't often go back to watch the replay simply deleted this game as soon as I was done with it the first time. Sad I can't sit that type of misery like I can a win.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To loosen up a defence that is blitzing (and the Seahawks didn't blitz that often actually), you throw a quick fade route, but this wasn't called yesterday. Or, you throw a screen pass a couple of times. This, too, wasn't called.

And if the OL is having difficulty protecting Romo, like the OL was in the 2nd half, you run the football and punish the DL. Even if the gain is only 2 or 3 yards, you run it again and again. Given the OL some confidence and start wearing down the front 7. Playaction then starts to work. The swing passes or passes out in the flat become easier to execute. The TE seam route gets open.

We know the OL struggles in pass protection, so start doing something different and giving the OL an opportunity to succeed. It might not work the first play or the first series or the second series, but at the end of the game there will be results.

Garrett's playcalling yesterday was atrocious. Romo's decision-making didn't help matters and the drops only further magnified the offence's ineptitude. But still, Garrett has to make adjustments and find different ways to win games. He's extremely poor in this area as a coordinator.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this could go in here: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JonathanBales/Running-The-Numbers-Week-2-Postgame-Film-Study-In-Seattle/d123f14c-16fc-4a8f-9ad8-70dc9b302712

After the graph in that article, it talks about Romos success against blitzes when shown and disguised. Pretty obvious Romo struggles mightily when he can't read the blitz.

Quote:
•Instead, the Seahawks were able to disrupt the passing game because they disguised all but three of their blitzes. On those three plays, Romo was 3-for-3 for 60 yards. That’s good, folks. On the seven blitzes that Seattle disguised, however, Romo was 3-for-7 for 15 yards and an interception. Further, four of Romo’s seven off-target passes were on one of those disguised blitzes.

The line has to do a better job of recognizing this faster and picking up the blitzers. The backs also. And Romo must get better at quickly recognizing the blitz coming and making the adjustment accordingly.

TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Murray became the starter:

20 or more carries - 6-0
Less than 20 carries - 0-3

Romo's record over the last 17 games (not including Week 16's game against Philly since he played 1 drive):

35 pass attempts or more - 2-7
30 to 34 attempts - 4-1
Less than 30 attempts - 3-0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:

20 or more carries - 6-0

Romo's record over the last 17 games (not including Week 16's game against Philly since he played 1 drive):

30 to 34 attempts - 4-1

Interesting, no doubt.

mco65

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 or more carries - 6-0

30 to 34 attempts - 4-1

Most times its your DEFENSE that decides whether you run the ball 20 more times or pass the ball 35 plus times. The Cowboys defense left the offense no choice.. well actually they didn't let them play much at all in the 4th qtr..
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSSS, to add to your earlier remark concerning softening the D and using Play action pass:

Garrett has only called a Play Action Pass FOUR times this year so far. The results of those four passes?

40 yards
1 TD

TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:

20 or more carries - 6-0

30 to 34 attempts - 4-1

Most times its your DEFENSE that decides whether you run the ball 20 more times or pass the ball 35 plus times. The Cowboys defense left the offense no choice.. well actually they didn't let them play much at all in the 4th qtr..

The defence wore down over the course of the game because the offence couldn't stay on the field. Excluding the very last drive, the Boys had 3 first downs in the 2nd half. Total time of possession on four drives (19 plays) in the 2nd half - 8 minutes, 46 seconds. Take out the meaningless last drive - 16 plays and 8 minutes, 10 seconds.

Number of running plays in the 2nd half - Three (3)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TSSS, to add to your earlier remark concerning softening the D and using Play action pass:

Garrett has only called a Play Action Pass FOUR times this year so far. The results of those four passes?

40 yards
1 TD

Good stat.

Teams still use playaction often, even if it's just a feint. The playaction pass use to be a huge staple of the Boys' passing attack but it's pretty much gone. A slight feint can hold the LBs and create space in the middle of the field and in the flats. It's not rocket science.

If people watch the 49ers, their offence has been quite effective because they use the playaction pass often. It also helps that they run the football.

If one looks at the Eagles-Ravens game yesterday, one of the big reasons why Baltimore lost was because they pretty much forgot about Ray Rice. At one point, Rice had 95 yards on 10 carries, and this was at the start of the 4th Quarter.

Murray is a huge part of the offence, but he was ignored in the game plan yesterday. That cannot happen even if he's only averaging 3.8 YPC. His physical style plus the constant hammering of the DL by the OL will wear a defence down. And maybe, just maybe Felix Jones can come in and benefit and, therefore, make a contribution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: