Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 2: Oakland Raiders @ Miami Dolphins, Its not so bad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phinmun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
I'd be willing to move Jake Long for a 2nd. He is so bad right now and totally not worth the dumptruck of money we have sitting in his back yard. I've been over him since last year and I'm at least happy to see more of you are embracing the thought of tossing him to the side. You can get a SOLID combination (2 of 3) of a WR, CB and DE for what he costs us.

The dude just CANNOT handle speed coming around the edge. It's hard to say what we'd lose in the running game but man alive, he looks like a liability in pass protection these days. He's average at best. Anyone who would rank him higher isn't watching the games. Plus, there are too many teams with really good ZBS running games to say that Jake's run-blocking saves him here. It just doesn't. It's way more important that we have an above-average pass protector than an above average run-blocker. We don't want to be a running team anyone. Laughing We're trying to get away from that!

He DOES NOT look like a 1st round selection, let alone a 1st overall pick.

I'm telling you guys though. If Jake Long hits free agency, The Jets will try and acquire him. He fits a huge need up there and the system fits. It's stupidly ironic.

Maybe we should let him walk Laughing Who do you think gets the edge in that match-up: Jake Long or Cam Wake?
Fins20??SBChamp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
I'm telling you guys though. If Jake Long hits free agency, The Jets will try and acquire him. He fits a huge need up there and the system fits. It's stupidly ironic.

I really wouldn't care if Long goes to the Jets. IMHO it wouldn't make too much of a difference. The Jets will continue to suck as long as Sanchez and Sparano are there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manic wrote:
he had 1 pass tipped at the line and yes they had him roll out more in this game, but he still made alot of passes from the pocket. So it was much improved.

Also was Legadu Naanee playing? I didnt pay much attention to him, but i know he wasnt thrown to. It was the bess and hartline show, i think our young qb might have lost faith in Naanee. Might be wise just to dump him and get one of the younger wrs some playing time.

This give me more of Moore or Matthews.
mountainpd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:
I'd be willing to move Jake Long for a 2nd. He is so bad right now and totally not worth the dumptruck of money we have sitting in his back yard. I've been over him since last year and I'm at least happy to see more of you are embracing the thought of tossing him to the side. You can get a SOLID combination (2 of 3) of a WR, CB and DE for what he costs us.

The dude just CANNOT handle speed coming around the edge. It's hard to say what we'd lose in the running game but man alive, he looks like a liability in pass protection these days. He's average at best. Anyone who would rank him higher isn't watching the games. Plus, there are too many teams with really good ZBS running games to say that Jake's run-blocking saves him here. It just doesn't. It's way more important that we have an above-average pass protector than an above average run-blocker. We don't want to be a running team anyone. Laughing We're trying to get away from that!

He DOES NOT look like a 1st round selection, let alone a 1st overall pick.

Maybe we should let him walk Laughing Who do you think gets the edge in that match-up: Jake Long or Cam Wake?

You guys see more action than I have the opportunity to over here although we have the Jets game next week. If his decline is as apparent as opinion suggests would it not be an idea to switch him and Martin now? We won't be offering him the money he is after and then at least Martin will be in his more natural position. What effect would losing him have to the run game? I thought the left side of our o line was creating all our lanes?

^^^Kempes^^^
alant_8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read pretty much all the posts here but rarely reply, god knows why however i feel i must add this, all the knocks on long are valid take a read of this from Reggie bush's post game interview

Bush: "They kept bringing a sam strong safety blitz to the strong side of our offensive line, and a few times we checked out of it to a different play. But Jake (Long) came to me actually the series before that and said, ‘if we get that look again, we’re running this run play, so hit it for a big play,’ so good job by Jake and good job by Ryan.”

This kinda stuff doesn't go on stat sheets but is so valuable, especially with a rookie QB picking up on stuff like that is only going to be positive his role in miami goes so much further than we think and in my opinion is probably one of the few players we cannot afford to lose. At the end of the day, he's 2 games into a completely new scheme that requires a different style of play than before, mentally it seems hes there but physically maybe not, maybe still not 100% after last year i think he'll be fine!
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I will say about the new coaching staff. Our Special teams have done a complete 180!! And I am not talking about the return for a touchdown, but we are ranked 9th in kickoff returns and 3rd in punt returns. We are second in the NFL in fewest kickoff return average yards, and we have not missed a field goal. A weakness of ours has become a strength at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
One thing I will say about the new coaching staff. Our Special teams have done a complete 180!! And I am not talking about the return for a touchdown, but we are ranked 9th in kickoff returns and 3rd in punt returns. We are second in the NFL in fewest kickoff return average yards, and we have not missed a field goal. A weakness of ours has become a strength at this point.

I think it was obvious to everyone BUT the Dolphins coaches that Davone Bess had 0 return ability. He had sure hands but it was the most conservative move in the world to have him returning punts.

The nice thing about the coaches is that they've got 1 guy doing both kick-off and punt returns and seem to have put someone in who tries to make big plays happen.

The nice thing about Thigpen as a returner is that he doesn't only have speed but also seems to follow his blocks until decisively bursting up-field when he's got a lane.

That said, the blocking seems better too. I think that's coming from 2 areas: some players have made this team because of special teams and now they've finally got someone to block for with big play ability.

I don't think special teams is really that hard an area in which to succeed. We just neglected it and screwed it up for long enough that competency seems amazing now. The problem is that it takes a little effort to identify who's really doing well in practice (the job of the coaches) and a small allotment of resources (the job of the HC and GM).
phinmun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alant_8 wrote:
Read pretty much all the posts here but rarely reply, god knows why however i feel i must add this, all the knocks on long are valid take a read of this from Reggie bush's post game interview

Bush: "They kept bringing a sam strong safety blitz to the strong side of our offensive line, and a few times we checked out of it to a different play. But Jake (Long) came to me actually the series before that and said, ‘if we get that look again, we’re running this run play, so hit it for a big play,’ so good job by Jake and good job by Ryan.”

This kinda stuff doesn't go on stat sheets but is so valuable, especially with a rookie QB picking up on stuff like that is only going to be positive his role in miami goes so much further than we think and in my opinion is probably one of the few players we cannot afford to lose. At the end of the day, he's 2 games into a completely new scheme that requires a different style of play than before, mentally it seems hes there but physically maybe not, maybe still not 100% after last year i think he'll be fine!

Glad to see other people are watching those videos! Wink

I thought it was really interesting when Bush said that. From those types of reports as well as his appearances in Hard Knocks, Long's reputation as a smart guy and a natural leader is only getting more and more secure.

That said, this will really come down to production because of Long's position on the field and salary. Long is one of, if not the, single highest paid Dolphin and he plays a position where pass protection is going to be the teams #1 priority. If his level of play doesn't rise all that leadership stuff will be useless and he won't be able to bargain for extra money because of it.

If Jake Long can't pass protect in this scheme, we don't want him period. I'm sure Jeff Ireland doesn't mind boosting someone's salary if they are a leader but he's not in the business of signing LT's who are leaders first and pass protectors second. Catch my drift?

I'm all for making decisions only when we have to and only when we've seen all the information come through so right now, I'm not in a position to predict whether or not Jake Long can raise his level of play but he's really being targeted by opposing DEs right now and he's consistently giving ground and getting Tannehill hit.

Losing to JJ Watt is one thing but when you come back the following week and allow your QB to get hit savagely by a Raider whose name none of us even know, that's cause for alarm. Jake Long won't be a Dolphin next year if Tannehill gets beaten up like he has over the last couple weeks. He's taken a couple of really bad hits and the pass protection from the left side isn't really looking worlds different that of the right side.

I'd point out that in that same interview Reggie Bush also admitted that they let Tannehill get hit and that they need to correct the mistakes that led to that.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be a bit premature to judge whether Long can play in this system after 2 games. It may be a problem, or he may just take some time to adjust. I expect this team's execution to be incredibly different by the end of the season.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Long is the unquestioned leader of this team. That's the problem with releasing him or trading him is that it sends a TERRIBLE message to the team.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
bpastermack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
bpastermack wrote:

I think it was obvious to everyone BUT the Dolphins coaches that Davone Bess had 0 return ability. He had sure hands but it was the most conservative move in the world to have him returning punts.

The nice thing about the coaches is that they've got 1 guy doing both kick-off and punt returns and seem to have put someone in who tries to make big plays happen.

The nice thing about Thigpen as a returner is that he doesn't only have speed but also seems to follow his blocks until decisively bursting up-field when he's got a lane.

That said, the blocking seems better too. I think that's coming from 2 areas: some players have made this team because of special teams and now they've finally got someone to block for with big play ability.

I don't think special teams is really that hard an area in which to succeed. We just neglected it and screwed it up for long enough that competency seems amazing now. The problem is that it takes a little effort to identify who's really doing well in practice (the job of the coaches) and a small allotment of resources (the job of the HC and GM).

Believe it or not Bess was actually an above average returner in the NFL. Punt return was the least of my worries from our special teams last year. It was everything else, but we did manage to improve that too so far. Last year we missed too many field goals and had horrible coverage on punts and kickoffs. The field position battle has been decisively in our favor other than the 6 minutes that we had 4 turnovers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Jake Long is the unquestioned leader of this team. That's the problem with releasing him or trading him is that it sends a TERRIBLE message to the team.

I'd put fair argument that Reggie Bush can give him a run for his money leadership wise. Reggie is the last guy off the practice field, knows how to win from his days in NO and does it all while still being a very high profile player at a high profile position.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:

I'd put fair argument that Reggie Bush can give him a run for his money leadership wise. Reggie is the last guy off the practice field, knows how to win from his days in NO and does it all while still being a very high profile player at a high profile position.

I don't think there is much doubt that both are the leaders on this team, both are quality guys who seem to "walk the walk"...as great as it would have been to have a veteran QB mentor RT I find it just as beneficial having both these guys on the field with him.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pope137 wrote:
Manic wrote:
he had 1 pass tipped at the line and yes they had him roll out more in this game, but he still made alot of passes from the pocket. So it was much improved.

Also was Legadu Naanee playing? I didnt pay much attention to him, but i know he wasnt thrown to. It was the bess and hartline show, i think our young qb might have lost faith in Naanee. Might be wise just to dump him and get one of the younger wrs some playing time.

This give me more of Moore or Matthews.

I've wanted to dump Naanee since he was signed. I REALLY wanted to drop Naanee since the first preseason game. By now I figure Naanee must be Philbins daughters boyfriend or something. Mathews should get his shot. He's a monster on Madden I can tell you that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long's biggest issue is injury now. Hes not playing well because hes playing hurt....well hes been playing hurt for the better part of the last 2-3 years now. Give him till the end of the season to make a decision.

FF Member #67

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: