Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Cliff Avril isnt worth the $$$$$$$

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spurlock84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Why Cliff Avril isnt worth the $$$$$$$ Reply with quote

Where was Cliff Avril tonight? Did anyone see him even in the stadium?? I didnt even see him on the field besides the time he should have got a 15 yard personal foul penalty, o yeah yes i did when he was getting pancacked by anthony davis multiple times.... here is what this is about tho

BIG MONEY PLAYERS, MAKE BIG TIME PLAYS, IN BIG TIME GAMES

Look at what 10 Million dollar players do week in and week out across the NFL. Avril doesnt compare to these guys, there is no way he should be getting 10+Mil a year. Im sorry i like the guy as a person, teammate and a decent nfl player but not a 10 million a year player. When your getting paid like that you have to make some sort of impact or make at least a couple plays EVERYGAME. Especialy big time games like tonights.

Honestly looking back i would have rather gave 10 million a year to Cortland Finnegan, then give it to cliff avril especially with the backup DE's we have and when were putting 3 DT's on the field at some points.

Looking Forward- Cliff Avril will not be a Detroit Lions after the 2012 Season, unless his contract demands go way down! I would rather try to sign a player like Jake Long and Move Reiff to RT where i think he would be great. Or Duane Brown from houston, or Aqib Talib or Jason Mccourty.

Not trying to look past this season or anything like that, and dont get me wrong cliff is a good player but not great. Thoughts?
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the front office thinks he's a 10+MM a year player. That's why we signed him to the franchise tag, for him to prove his worth.

The season is still young. He still has the ability to put pressure on the QB consistently. DE's don't always make a weekly impact- Jared Allen was shutout against the Jags last week. If he doesn't do anything after 5-6 games, then it'll be a cause for concern.

I would rather pay him then pay Finnegan at this point. I don't think our CB's are as horrid as we all think when healthy, Bentley has shown an ability to make plays and Houston is a top 10-15 CB. DE's are just more valuable because they put pressure on the QB to make mistakes- we just need the DB's to take advantage of those mistakes, and I believe we have that (when healthy, of course).

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
spurlock84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Allen isnt playing LE with a DLINE like ours and getting single teamed most of the time! You cant compare Cliff Avril to Jared Allen it isnt even close. Last week he was shutout besides a game ending play on a hail mary. IDC about games against the Vikings or Seattle of Jacksonville i care about games where BIG money players should be making plays. In a playoff atmosphere where we need those guys were paying big money to step up. I understand its early and its only one game and they all count the same but in big games i just dont see cliff avril much in big games honestly alot of teams can take him completely out of the game just by chippin him with a te and sometimes people just send a fullback or running back to block him and thats too easy. 10 million a year guys are making plays consistenly week in and week out.
spurlock84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Avril is the #5 Paid DE in the league this year did he look like it tonight?????

The other point i was trying to make was i would have went in another direction this past year, but i hope and pray he makes me eat my words!
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't comparing him to Allen, I was just saying it's acceptable for DE's to have off days. If Allen can do it (against the Jags no less) then Avril can as well.

I think this thread is a knee-jerk reaction like your other thread. No offense, but you gotta wait for a good amount of time before making statements like these. Two weeks is not nearly enough time to make this kind of assertion.

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avril was getting double-teamed (chipped, whammed) on almost every single play. When you consider how infrequently the 49ers throw the ball, and how quickly they throw it when they do, how can you look at Cliff as if he did something wrong?

I'm blown away.

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him getting double teamed constantly on the edge. Not sure what game you were watching

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Stafford didn't make the big time play in the big game. Time to see if we can get a 7rd pick for him and start over.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Matthew Stafford didn't make the big time play in the big game. Time to see if we can get a 7rd pick for him and start over.

I do believe someone called for Shaun Hill last night.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

They did. It was a low point.

Team Stylish
DetroitWhat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

Dat was my bad. Rolling Eyes
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame you for your frustration, but I think this thread is a few weeks early. If he's still performing this way stat wise in week 8 or 10 then we can chase him with pitch forks and fire!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: