Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Comment about 49ers Game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spurlock84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Comment about 49ers Game Reply with quote

Two Second Round Pick Wide Receivers (Titus Young) and (Ryan Broyles) and a wideout being paid 5 mil a year combined for 2 catches and 22 yards.......these guys are supposed to be taking pressure off of calvin wtf is goin on?

Seriously with the defense they were running they were basically man'd up the whole game and got shut down thats terrible that Calvin is taking a CB a S and the other safety is shaded towards the middle/outside and those guys cant get open. Hell Broyles cant even get on the field!!!!!!!! When you are a playoff team the year before and have holes at (CB/S) and i mean big weaknesses if you take a WR he better be producing in the offense.

Im not losing my cool about this (trust me) im just upset about the production from those guys who are supposed to be taking a little pressure off of calvin. Pettigrew 3-18 and a TD yeah thats not enough for me either for a 1st round pick. He needs to have 5 and 50 yards and pick up a few more first downs.

Also BOTTOM LINE #9 has to play better, he missed some passes today and also threw one of the worst pics i have seen in a while.

Now for the defense, we are so inconsistent its not even funny last week i was like "Wow" at our tackling as a whole, seriously how many missed tackles did we have this week? and a few missed sacks it was terrible.

In coverage i feel like our corners didnt play bad in the first 3 quarters, but Wendling and Coleman are seriously killing me, they were both terrible today. We are playing way too soft in coverage right now its like people nickle and dime us all the way down the field two weeks in a row now.

I still think we will win the division, and i think everything will be ok, but in games like this (Playoff Atmosphere vs IMO the best team in the NFL) I would have liked to see the Lions play there best game and see where we stack up bc honestly tonight that was not the best lions game by far ill give them a 5 tonight from 1-10.

Thoughts?

(Look at my other post about CLIFF AVRIL ALSO)
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broyles is still recovering from the injury, I wouldn't and don't expect him to produce much this year, if he does great but he is Burelsons role next year.

I agree on Titus, looked like he gave up on the deep route with the holding penalty to complain instead of playing through it and complaining afterwards. It looked like he could have got there if he ran hard the whole route.

The key is Stafford though. This game we ran more than usual but Stafford wasn't on his game. Those WRs and TEs can't get production if they don't get targets. We just had a different gameplan tonight, IMO due to the injuries on D, and it showed up in the stats. Not to mention this is the best D in the league.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. I agree that we need to see some production, but draft status doesn't mean jack- remember that these are two very young (pun intended) players as well and we were playing a deep secondary in what is the bonafide #1 defense in the league.

Also, our WR's aren't meant to take pressure off CJ- that's never going to happen. They are supposed to take advantage of the space CJ gives them.

We didn't play our best game today, and lost by 1 score to what may be the best team in the league playing on the road. We are also missing 3/4 of our secondary. That's not bad, and there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

I think we need to be concerned about Stafford moreso than our WR's. He needs to be more accurate to allow our WR's to make plays.

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
spurlock84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you take a guy in the Second Round and hes active in the game which means hes healthy or he wouldnt be out there!!!!!!! If he wasnt ready to go the Lions would have used somebody else on there active 46. He isnt even getting any reps let alone catches. Titus idk man he had a good rookie year but i hope he steps it up im starting to get worried with him just bc of his attitude.

Stafford does need to play better but it was a great team they were playing and your right we only lost by one score and a 2 point....THATS WHAT PISSES ME OFF THE MOST.. if we play to our potential we win that game handedly no joke. We kicked alot of field goals if we play our game to the fullest we without a doubt get 6 instead of 3 most of the time. but i felt like the only time we moved the chainz is when we threw to calvin that is why im like dude titus, nate, pettigrew, broyles where are you? When you spend alot of draft picks to have the explosive offense you expect every time out and 2 weeks now i havent seen it to open up 2012 im not happy at all!
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spurlock84 wrote:
When you take a guy in the Second Round and hes active in the game which means hes healthy or he wouldnt be out there!!!!!!! If he wasnt ready to go the Lions would have used somebody else on there active 46. He isnt even getting any reps let alone catches. Titus idk man he had a good rookie year but i hope he steps it up im starting to get worried with him just bc of his attitude.

Stafford does need to play better but it was a great team they were playing and your right we only lost by one score and a 2 point....THATS WHAT PISSES ME OFF THE MOST.. if we play to our potential we win that game handedly no joke. We kicked alot of field goals if we play our game to the fullest we without a doubt get 6 instead of 3 most of the time. but i felt like the only time we moved the chainz is when we threw to calvin that is why im like dude titus, nate, pettigrew, broyles where are you? When you spend alot of draft picks to have the explosive offense you expect every time out and 2 weeks now i havent seen it to open up 2012 im not happy at all!

I believe that is on Stafford, and not the WR's

Also, like you said we didn't play to our potential... gotta give a LOT of credit to the 9ers D, but the fact we didn't play to our potential and STILL only lost by one score is a bit encouraging. It shows me that our team is improving, and doesn't rely totally on Staffords arm. If Stafford gets this figured out... watch out

Also, don't forget how easily we were moving the ball in week 1. I bet next week we are going to tear apart the Titans D (and their O, for that matter). Morale should be a bit higher then, I just don't see us losing that game even if our secondary is still banged up; if we are healthy there, I don't see anyone on their team that can burn us consistently.

detfan782004 wrote:

wut

Last edited by SuhPLEX on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
spurlock84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No def not they were locked down tonight there wasnt any "wide open" receivers anywhere on the field tonight..r u serious? he was throwing people open some of the time. you think stafford is missing titus open across the field or burleson for that matter i dont think so
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spurlock84 wrote:
No def not they were locked down tonight there wasnt any "wide open" receivers anywhere on the field tonight..r u serious? he was throwing people open some of the time. you think stafford is missing titus open across the field or burleson for that matter i dont think so

He missed Pettigrew wide open for a first down in the 4th because he was staring down CJ.

Still, Stafford didn't play well. The INT he threw he completely overthrew Titus. I think it's a little overblown if you're saying the WR's simply aren't getting open.

That being said, I do expect to see a bit more of Titus in the coming weeks. Remember he has only played 1 1/2 games too- not exactly a full body of work to judge him by.

Broyles should be expected to see more looks as the season goes on too. I suspect he needs time to pick up on the offense. It is very read-based, which can be hard for a rookie to pick up on early. Look at Young last year, he got better as the season went on, most likely because of the aforementioned

detfan782004 wrote:

wut
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team is young. Young is Young. Broyles isn't ready. Heck, Stafford is young. This team has a lot of room to grow.

I just read an article on PFT about how great the 49ers are, and how bad the Lions are. We were missing three starters in the secondary and still almost pulled it out in the end. Come on. We didn't get dominated. It was a close game. Things didn't go our way.

Ridiculous.

Team Stylish
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
This team is young. Young is Young. Broyles isn't ready. Heck, Stafford is young. This team has a lot of room to grow.

I just read an article on PFT about how great the 49ers are, and how bad the Lions are. We were missing three starters in the secondary and still almost pulled it out in the end. Come on. We didn't get dominated. It was a close game. Things didn't go our way.

Ridiculous.

And if the Lions would have won, everyone would be talking about what went wrong for the Niners and how the Lions benefitted from all the Niners mistakes.

Let's be honest, no one thought we would win. Why? We were without three starters in our secondary, our top 2 RBs are out, and we were on the road against a damn good team. Guess what, we lost. Why? Our secondary was subpar, we tried to run the ball without having RBs to do so, and we were facing a damn good team on the road.

Everyone will point to Stafford, the interception, and the incompletions. But his numbers are almost identical to Alex Smiths numbers. The difference in the game? Niners have Frank Gore, we were running the ball with Joique Bell. In fact, we should have thrown more and used our passing game to set up the run. For some reason, Linehan decided to get us down early and we couldn't catch up without the runners to do so. And where was Keiland Williams? He's a better power runner, which would have been best for this game, and he didn't get one carry. I didn't notice his name on the inactives list. Confused

I'm not saying we should have abondoned the run. But we were predictable and weren't able to make the big splash plays we win games with because of it.

Also, I love that our defense is moving away from the wide-9. Our pass rush has been improved this season already and our run defense has improved as well. We still use it, but no where near the amount we did last season. Our linebackers are looking better this season too. But once the runner gets outside, our secondary isn't making the initial tackles.

I'm actually glad we have an early bye week this season. Hopefully we can get some guys back healthy (LeShoure, Broyles, Houston, Delmas, Bentley, etc) and work out some kinks. If we go into the BYE with a 2-2 record, I thik we'll be in good shape. If we're 3-1, even better. Wink

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
Montana badboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get to watch a whole lot of Lions games due to living in MT, so I have a question for some of you guys who do. 2 things that stood out to me and bothered me during this game.

1. Does Kevin Smith always go down that easily. It seemed like anytime someone got a hand on him, down he went. Now I thought he looked good yesterday and had a decent game, but he is not a tough runner is he? Or is SF just that good of a tackling team? I know when P Willis hits you, you just go down, but anyone that got a glove on Smith was gettting the tackle.

2. Did it seem to anyone else that their receivers were very open, like WIDE open? And any time Stafford was making a pass, it was thrown into pretty tight coverage? Maybe it was just me, but I thought every play was well covered by them, meanwhile Alex Smith was getting some wide open looks. That might be because of our depleted secondary, but I didn't think our receivers were getting open very often. THoughts?

[quote="LionsFTW"]I would throw my $1300 50 inch plasma in the garbage if we drafted Fairley.[quote]
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Ridiculous.

And if the Lions would have won, everyone would be talking about what went wrong for the Niners and how the Lions benefitted from all the Niners mistakes.

Let's be honest, no one thought we would win. Why? We were without three starters in our secondary, our top 2 RBs are out, and we were on the road against a damn good team. Guess what, we lost. Why? Our secondary was subpar, we tried to run the ball without having RBs to do so, and we were facing a damn good team on the road.

Everyone will point to Stafford, the interception, and the incompletions. But his numbers are almost identical to Alex Smiths numbers. The difference in the game? Niners have Frank Gore, we were running the ball with Joique Bell. In fact, we should have thrown more and used our passing game to set up the run. For some reason, Linehan decided to get us down early and we couldn't catch up without the runners to do so. And where was Keiland Williams? He's a better power runner, which would have been best for this game, and he didn't get one carry. I didn't notice his name on the inactives list. Confused

I'm not saying we should have abondoned the run. But we were predictable and weren't able to make the big splash plays we win games with because of it.

Also, I love that our defense is moving away from the wide-9. Our pass rush has been improved this season already and our run defense has improved as well. We still use it, but no where near the amount we did last season. Our linebackers are looking better this season too. But once the runner gets outside, our secondary isn't making the initial tackles.

I'm actually glad we have an early bye week this season. Hopefully we can get some guys back healthy (LeShoure, Broyles, Houston, Delmas, Bentley, etc) and work out some kinks. If we go into the BYE with a 2-2 record, I thik we'll be in good shape. If we're 3-1, even better. Wink

I couldn't agree more with this post.

Always seems to be doomday around here when we lose and we call for people's heads. We lost to probably the best team in the NFC and possibly NFL on the road.

Sure there are some concerns and things we have to work out but its not the end of the world.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
Always seems to be doomday around here when we lose and we call for people's heads. We lost to probably the best team in the NFC and possibly NFL on the road.

Sure there are some concerns and things we have to work out but its not the end of the world.

Agreed. Overall I thought we played pretty well. Our secondary was suspect, but we knew that even before our top 3 DBs were inactive. And Stafford had a bad game. Not only is that going to happen, but like it or not, where Stafford goes so goes the Lions. That is just the nature of the beast right now until we can fill our roster a bit more/develop players. We are still starting castoffs from other teams. As this regime gets a chance to replace those players with their guys, it will get better. There are only so many draft picks and FA signings per offseason. 4 years ago there were only about 5 or 6 roster worthy players at all.
38andy38

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YLionsY wrote:

"Always seems to be doomday around here when we lose and we call for people's heads. We lost to probably the best team in the NFC and possibly NFL on the road. "

Excellent point. 2 years ago this team would have folded like a cheap suit and given up as soon as they were down by 8. Now with let's be honest 3/4 of a NFL roster they fight to the end.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through 2 games Stafford has to be my most disappointing player. I don't know if defenses have figured him out or if his mechanics are off or what...he's looking mediocre at best.

Nick Fairley has to be a close second on most disappointing list. He's been outplayed by Sammie Hill thus far, which isn't a bad thing since Hill is solid, but more was expected from him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Through 2 games Stafford has to be my most disappointing player. I don't know if defenses have figured him out or if his mechanics are off or what...he's looking mediocre at best.

Nick Fairley has to be a close second on most disappointing list. He's been outplayed by Sammie Hill thus far, which isn't a bad thing since Hill is solid, but more was expected from him.

I disagree with both points.

1. Stafford has had some issues. He changed his arm slot on a couple throws and one completely sailed away from him, but there has also been bad plays that were completely on the receivers. Titus Young was targeted by the endzone. It was completely open down the middle of the field and Stafford threw it to a great spot. But Titus thought he should have gotten a flag and stopped his route before the play ended, which resulted in an incompletion. There were throws that hit both Pettigrew and Scheffler in the hands and neither of them caught the ball. Not every incompletion was on the receivers, Stafford has had a couple random errant passes, but the receivers haven't exactly been helping him out either. They all need to get on the same page.

2. Nick Fairley has looked very good these first two games. He's gotten pressure on the QB, has played well versus the run, and has really stepped it up a notch, from what I've seen. Frank Gore was killing us last night, in the second half, we started using Fairley more and he was limiting Gores runs up the middle. I remember one stuff right at the LOS. Just because Sammie Lee Hill has looked good, doesn't mean Fairley has been bad. IMO, you are selling SLH short by claiming that if Fairley looks close to SLH, then he's been disappointing.

My most disappointing player thus far has been Titus Young. Not because he wears an arm sleeve, but because he's giving up on plays before they are completed, isn't making catches that are catchable, and IMO, just hasn't been putting in full effort so far. I really hope he steps it up. I'm expecting him to take over that #2 WR spot, but right now, he's just not earning it.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: