Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Great Jay Cutler Article
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Great Jay Cutler Article Reply with quote

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8377155/we-seem-keep-redefining-jay-cutler-every-four-quarters
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. It makes a lot of good points.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Cutler in real life is almost exactly the same as how i play with him on Madden.

When i'm concentrating, and calling sensible plays, my decision making is good and i play to an all-madden level.

when i stop concentrating, when i get flustered and when i get bored, i make awful decisions to force the ball, i take sacks needlessly and my play is detrimental to the team.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The criticism of Cutler boils down to this: he has made his fair share of mistakes, but at the same time, he obviously has a strong desire to win and has had to deal with almost nothing but gross incompetence from his offensive teammates and his coaching staff for the past three years.

Is it wrong for Cutler to yell at his offensive line when they mess up? I don't know, but if I got needlessly hit as much as he has over the past few years, I'd be enraged as well.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
The criticism of Cutler boils down to this: he has made his fair share of mistakes, but at the same time, he obviously has a strong desire to win and has had to deal with almost nothing but gross incompetence from his offensive teammates and his coaching staff for the past three years.

Is it wrong for Cutler to yell at his offensive line when they mess up? I don't know, but if I got needlessly hit as much as he has over the past few years, I'd be enraged as well.

I played OL and I have not issue with Jay yelling at his OL or bumping Webb.

When I missed a block I felt terrible or I was embarrassed and I worked harder the next time to protect the QB.

I do not see any of that from Webb he just gives and idiot smile and tweets something.
blkwdw13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

When I missed a block I felt terrible or I was embarrassed and I worked harder the next time to protect the QB.

I do not see any of that from Webb he just gives and idiot smile and tweets something.

I didn't get to watch the game but I looked for a video of this incident and when I saw the thing that pissed me off about it was that after Cutler yelled and pushed Webb, Webb just smiled like he didn't care.
BEARS24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blkwdw13 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

I didn't get to watch the game but I looked for a video of this incident and when I saw the thing that pissed me off about it was that after Cutler yelled and pushed Webb, Webb just smiled like he didn't care.

THIS!!!
Badger75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the media and the fans are doing to Cutler is exactly what they did to Rex Grossman. Oh, and to Jim Harbaugh. And to Mike Tomczak. Jim McMahon didn't listen. He was injured, won a SB, injured again and was gone. It is the DNA of Chicago.
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
What the media and the fans are doing to Cutler is exactly what they did to Rex Grossman. Oh, and to Jim Harbaugh. And to Mike Tomczak. Jim McMahon didn't listen. He was injured, won a SB, injured again and was gone. It is the DNA of Chicago.

The only difference was that pretty much every one of those other QB's were terrible, or at best, a game-manager.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Cutler is getting blasted for yelling at Webb still puzzles me. A lot of QBs yell at their linemen, but Jay gets criticized for it because he's not a likeable guy and he played terribly. Webb was completely useless against the Packers and has never shown any consistency in his play. The Bears wouldn't exactly be losing much by giving CW a shot at LT. Spencer needs to be dumped from the starting five as well
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blkwdw13 wrote:
Webb just smiled like he didn't care.

Did he really smile though? Go back and look at it again. I think his facial expression can be interpreted in a lot of different ways.
Badger75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certain moments are indelible. Whether deserved or not. Cutler on an exercycle on the sidelines during that very peculiar NFC championship game in Chicago vs. the Packers while Caleb Hanie valiantly tried to win it, is the nations image of Jay.

Harbaugh was an excellent QB who arrived at a really awkward time. McMahon was finishing his career in Chicago. Tomczak wanted playing time. Ditka appeared not to like any of them. The image that stuck with Harbaugh was an INT for a TD he threw to the Vikings and Ditka grabbing his face mask, roaring his disapproval.

And just think, we almost got Terry Bradshaw in 1970 and Joe Montana in '79. Cool
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty good read…

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/15171254-606/jay-cutlers-antics-arent-among-bears-problems.html

Especially this part...

Quote:
“Hey, hey, quit calling the [bleeping] plays! When I call pass block, block! We’ll run the ball, but when I [bleeping] call pass block, block!”

That gem was from the lovable Peyton Manning to center Jeff Saturday in 2005 during a game.

“You got to start to fight! Or are you just going to lay down? Fight!” That was Tom Brady to his offensive line two seasons ago.

So now “get your [bleeping] head into the game” is the breaking point for a fan base?

There’s still some romantic idea that an NFL quarterback is supposed to be a square-jawed hero, loved by his teammates as he gently pats them on the rear after a bad play, telling them, “It’s OK, big guy, I don’t mind Clay Matthews driving my tailbone into the grass every play.”

Cutler isn’t always a likeable guy. Not by the media, and definitely not by groups of players in his own locker room.

There’s nothing wrong with that.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Cowher wrote:
When you look at it, this guy has got a strong arm, there is no question about it but he has had some protection issues. I know there has been some questionable (play) calling but listen, they brought players in to help this guy win a championship and he’s got to prove to be more accountable, not sensationalize every little mistake with his antics and body language. Listen, he’s a good quarterback but if he does not change his ways and this team does not go to the playoffs, you have to seriously consider another direction. He has to change.

So when he shows no emotion, he doesn't care. When he gets angry, he's a jerk. I'd hate to see what the reaction would be if the Bears were struggling and he started laughing and smiling...
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:

And it was reflected when Cutler became a Bear. "We have a QB, all of our problems are solved!" It not only reflects the team's history at the position, but also how naive of a football town Chicago is as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: