Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are we a dying breed?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Are we a dying breed? Reply with quote

As our beloved Dolphins continue to climb the mountain of suck that they've been climbing for, well, really ever since Dan Marino retired in 1999, and it appears the effects have been staggering on the size of the Dolphins fan base.

As evidence, its been reported that the Dolphins had their lowest rating ever for a home opener and the lowest in the NFL for this seasons opener.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/ratings-for-dolphins-opener-shockingly-low-in-miami/

reports suggest that the number of viewers was staggering low. It leads me to the question, are we a dying breed? I can remember the Tampa Bay Bucs franchise had no fans at all on the west coast when I was a kid. I mean none. I've always been a huge NFL dork, and followed the sport religiously since I was little. One of he first questions I would always ask people when I'd meet them was "Do you follow NFL?" and if so, "What team did you follow?". I never once heard of anyone who was a Bucs fan, but then again, they completely sucked and had pretty awful uniforms.

I have to wonder if our beloved Dolphins are starting to significantly lose their fan base, and if we aren't becoming that 70's and 80's Buccaneers team.

Thoughts?
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its sad to think about but when a team has been a disappointment for as long as we have, fans tend to lose interest and potential new fans choose a different team because of our reputation. It doesn't help that our colors are aqua & teal. I mean if you're a Miami youngster getting into football, would you feel like following "the fish", a team that has done nothing worthwhile for over a decade?

I wouldn't say we're about to become a team like the Bucs, though. The Dolphins are a team with history and I think there will always be a decent chunk of Dolphins fans. But starting to improve again would cause the fanbase to become more lively again.

Nacho Simulation Football League
phinmun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in South Carolina where college football seems about 20x as popular as the NFL (which sucks) but I still run across Dolphins fans now and again. It seems like everyone knows someone who likes Miami. It's always an older generation, though. Never a young person which says a lot! Laughing

I'm in my mid-late 20s and I'm the youngest Dolphins fan I know, personally.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that yes of course Phin fans are a dying breed. You cannot suck as long as we have without deterioration of the fan base. Factor in the blistering heat that makes it difficult to be in the stadium on September and October afternoons and you've got a real problem.

Honestly, the team could relocate at some point not too far down the road. And the ONLY solution is to put a consistent winner on the field, which I think Ross is probably incapable of doing.
patdt13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a surprising amount of Dolphin fans in New England. I dont think we're at TB's level yet.

#TeamMeowgatron
xXxHOUSEDxXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only are we a terrible football team, but we're very unentertaining to watch as well. Such an awful boring team.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Factor in the blistering heat that makes it difficult to be in the stadium on September and October afternoons and you've got a real problem.

Nice point. I hadn't thought of that. I've been to a couple of games in Miami, but since I am from California, I forget that Florida gets as muggy and hot as it does. Then again, when I made it out to training camp a few years back, it was one of the most uncomfortable days of my life. The humidity is BRUTAL.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
Factor in the blistering heat that makes it difficult to be in the stadium on September and October afternoons and you've got a real problem.

Nice point. I hadn't thought of that. I've been to a couple of games in Miami, but since I am from California, I forget that Florida gets as muggy and hot as it does. Then again, when I made it out to training camp a few years back, it was one of the most uncomfortable days of my life. The humidity is BRUTAL.

You know ... that is a damn good point.

I just hooked up here with Neidermeir over the past few wk ends.
He just moved out from Lauderdale & he's just giggling about the weather here in beautiful Alameda Island.

Having also lived in Fla. myself I can't fathom paying a ton of cash to go sit in the hot sun/sauna &
watch my team "suck fat culo".

But before the Heat (NBA) the Marlins also struggled, Mia is such a fickle sports town.
Kinda like Atl, the fans won't come out till you give'm something good.

Looks like Ross & Philbin better get crackin.

sug
Mercury22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:

You know ... that is a damn good point.

I just hooked up here with Neidermeir over the past few wk ends.
He just moved out from Lauderdale & he's just giggling about the weather here in beautiful Alameda Island.

Having also lived in Fla. myself I can't fathom paying a ton of cash to go sit in the hot sun/sauna &
watch my team "suck fat culo".

But before the Heat (NBA) the Marlins also struggled, Mia is such a fickle sports town.
Kinda like Atl, the fans won't come out till you give'm something good.

Looks like Ross & Philbin better get crackin.

sug

Same is pretty much true in Los Angeles. The weather is so nice here and there is so much to do and see, baking in the hot sun for a subpar product just doesn't fly here. I think that's part of the reason the NFL hasn't come back to the Los Angeles market yet. It will, but my sense from people here is that the reception would be cool. I know some people that would be immediate fans, but there are so many transplants here in Los Angeles (people that have come from other cities) and most bring a team connection with them.

Anyway, I suppose this whole topic saddens me. The Dolphins were, at one point, the winning-est team in the league since the merger. Now they are perennial push overs. More glory to for each of us to share when they turn this ship around, I suppose.
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:

Other than performance on the field not being the greatest, these are the two things that strike me most. They need to find a way to do something with the stadium, even if it is to find a creative way to shade over parts of the stadium.

Also, one thing I note from this forum is how high a proportion of people live outside of South Florida. Maybe that's what you'd expect for all teams on a forum, but I'd bet very few of us are going to more than one/two games this year.

^ Jamison on the sig.
neezy007

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9er fan here, but I think it would help if the Dolphins darkened their colors. To a, you know, Miami Hurricane type jersey.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
9er fan here, but I think it would help if the Dolphins darkened their colors. To a, you know, Miami Hurricane type jersey.
Ross is apparently working on that one. We'll see what he comes up with next season.
Deets

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
neezy007 wrote:
Ross is apparently working on that one. We'll see what he comes up with next season.

I never understood the jersey hate. I've always thought Miami had the best logo/jerseys in professional sports.

FF Member #67
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
neezy007 wrote:

I never understood the jersey hate. I've always thought Miami had the best logo/jerseys in professional sports.
Ross needs some revenue from his investment. Changing team colors and logos is an easy way to generate merchandise sales.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
neezy007 wrote:

I don't care so much if we change colors or logos, but I hope we stay with something bright for the sake of our players.

Wearing dark colors will just absorb the heat whereas the lighter colors will reflect it away.....I played Saturday afternoons in South FL and there was always a noticeable difference when wearing our dark jerseys vs our white jerseys.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: