Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Current Status of the Dolphins?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glenearl18

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Current Status of the Dolphins? Reply with quote

I work part time for an NFL magazine, and am responsible for writing a section called "Team by Team", where once a month I write a page or two on the current status of a number of teams.

What would you guys say is the current status of the Dolphins? This can include everything from the moves that you made or didn't make during the offseason, to drafting Ryan Tannehill, to observations from the preseason, to the unfortunate week 1 performance. Surprise heroes, weak links, team strengths, interesting statistics, notable events inside the locker room, things to look forward to, anything and everything. Please share and help me out. Thanks!
Deets

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown. Come back in five weeks.

FF Member #67
cddolphin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our only "strength" is our defensive line.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the current status of the Dolphins is sort of the point of this entire forum. With that in mind, my suggestion would be to read the last few pages of threads to get an idea of how the fans here believe the team is doing.

From where I sit, the problems in Miami start at the top. All the way at the top. Owner Stephen Ross has meddled in the day to day operations of the club, specifically in the QB search and coaching search. Just below him sits Jeff Ireland, who, in my opinion, is extremely mediocre in talent evaluation and lacks vision as a leader. Coach Philbin may be the vision this team needs, but he is a poor communicator and lacks the ability to motivate men, again, in my opinion. Those short comings lead to the other problems. However, everything, and I do mean everything, can be cured by top notch QB play. So, Tannehill is the key to all things Dolphins. Sadly, Ireland has not given Tannehill any tools/players around him to help him succeed. Miami's offensive line is a mess on the right side, and we have no WR's who would start for virtually any other teams in the NFL. So Tannehill will have pressure all year, and virtually no one who can take a 10 yard slant to the house, or even an additional 10 yards. It is a recipe for failure, if you ask me.
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. We've been arguing about the current state of the fins for all off-season.

What Merc said above could possibly be the case but I've argued against the idea that our owner an GM are completely morons for the past month of so.

If you want my view concisely, I think the GM (Ireland)--who was brought in under Parcells--was part of a regime that tried the 'win now' approach instead of properly rebuilding. After 4 years under that approach and HC Tony Sparano, it was clear that the team wasn't making progress. It had hit a wall.

We've cast away our head coach (Sparano), two offensive coordinators (Henning & Daboll), two defensive coordinators (Pasqualoni & Nolan) and one VP of Football Ops (Parcells). Our GM--Ireland--remains however, and not everyone is okay with that. I personally believe that he is a competent individual that has unfortunately suffered the ill-effects of bad coaches implenting out-dated philosophies as well as some negative influence by Parcells which wasn't always helpful. The best of example of that would be when Parcells pushed hard for the team to draft 2nd-round QB Pat White for the Wildcat. That was maybe the worst pick in team history.

Recent moves however, give us the appearance that Ireland is doing all the right things!

This year we appear to be making the moves that spell out rebuilding. I think that's great, and I believe most fans are happy to see it, but we all believe it'll be a tough road.

If you want more examples and explanation, see my post on page 3 of the 'Ireland on the Hot Seat' thread. It's about half-way down the page and spells out the 15 or so moves I think this team has made that indicate we're rebuilding.

Non of us right now have a clear enough picture of Jeff Ireland however to say whether he's the right man for the job. He's had success drafting defense, but only limited success drafting offensively with players like OT Jake Long (a real no-brainer), TE Charles Clay, RB Daniel Thomas, WR Brian Hartline. Rookies Ryan Tannehll (QB), Jonathan Martin (OT) and Lamar Miller (RB) seem to be a step in the right direction, however.

The general consensus is that we pretty much all like Ryan Tannehill. We pretty much all like HC Joe Philbin and we're pretty much all okay with the idea we're stockpiling draft picks by trading guys like Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis who've had issues with 'professionalism.'

The main difference is that some of us (Merc for example) don't necessarily trust that Ireland will be able to do enough with drafting which is where the future of the team lies.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=498610&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Good question. We've been arguing about the current state of the fins for all off-season.

What Merc said above could possibly be the case but I've argued against the idea that our owner an GM are completely morons for the past month of so.

If you want my view concisely, I think the GM (Ireland)--who was brought in under Parcells--was part of a regime that tried the 'win now' approach instead of properly rebuilding. After 4 years under that approach and HC Tony Sparano, it was clear that the team wasn't making progress. It had hit a wall.

We've cast away our head coach (Sparano), two offensive coordinators (Henning & Daboll), two defensive coordinators (Pasqualoni & Nolan) and one VP of Football Ops (Parcells). Our GM--Ireland--remains however, and not everyone is okay with that. I personally believe that he is a competent individual that has unfortunately suffered the ill-effects of bad coaches implenting out-dated philosophies as well as some negative influence by Parcells which wasn't always helpful. The best of example of that would be when Parcells pushed hard for the team to draft 2nd-round QB Pat White for the Wildcat. That was maybe the worst pick in team history.

Recent moves however, give us the appearance that Ireland is doing all the right things!

This year we appear to be making the moves that spell out rebuilding. I think that's great, and I believe most fans are happy to see it, but we all believe it'll be a tough road.

If you want more examples and explanation, see my post on page 3 of the 'Ireland on the Hot Seat' thread. It's about half-way down the page and spells out the 15 or so moves I think this team has made that indicate we're rebuilding.

Non of us right now have a clear enough picture of Jeff Ireland however to say whether he's the right man for the job. He's had success drafting defense, but only limited success drafting offensively with players like OT Jake Long (a real no-brainer), TE Charles Clay, RB Daniel Thomas, WR Brian Hartline. Rookies Ryan Tannehll (QB), Jonathan Martin (OT) and Lamar Miller (RB) seem to be a step in the right direction, however.

The general consensus is that we pretty much all like Ryan Tannehill. We pretty much all like HC Joe Philbin and we're pretty much all okay with the idea we're stockpiling draft picks by trading guys like Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis who've had issues with 'professionalism.'

The main difference is that some of us (Merc for example) don't necessarily trust that Ireland will be able to do enough with drafting which is where the future of the team lies.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=498610&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I agree with Phinmun's assessment, expect I wholeheartedly object to the Brandon Marshall trade. In my opinion it was the worst trade in franchise history and another reason to part ways with Ireland. There are a handful that agree with me, but the consensus, as phinmun said is that it was an okay move. The only other point I disagree with, is that not everyone is on board with Philbin. I like him as a person, but am not sure about him as a head coach. Again, I am probably in the minority on that opinion though.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll toss in my $0.02

I think the Brandon Marshall trade was dumb, especially when you have a young signal-caller.

The Davis trade was alright. We drafted him with a late 1st and received a early 2nd for him. He never seemed to be consistent, although he was very good at times. Smith was pretty damn good in his debut, so I don't think we gave away an irreplaceable player.

I am in the minority who wants to keep Ireland. It's been an unusual few years in the Dolphins FO so it's difficult to adequately evaluate him. But I like a lot about his recent drafts.

I reserve judgement for Philbin. I would've liked Fisher, but I can't really knock the Philbin move.
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A concise defense of the Marshall trade goes as follows:

This team will be rebuilding for the better part of 3 seasons during which it won't matter if even the best WR in football plays here. Furthermore, a player who's personal issues may negatively influence your young team must be considered as well.

After 3 years of developing, Brandon Marshall will again have to be resigned and will want big money. We will have already given him at least 1 large contract just to have kept him around, and the team would then be forced to pay for a veteran on the wrong side of 30 because they've already invested in him.

It's simply bad business. The only argument is that it would help Ryan Tannehill develop which is not true at all in my opinion. Plenty of QBs have developed wonderfully without elite WRs. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Bress all got by without elite WRs....depending on how you view Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, you might even put Aaron Rodgers on that list.

Guys like Brian Hartline and Davone Bess who demonstrate excellent reliability through good routes and great hands are enough to suffice until the team has another draft opportunity through which is can add top-level WR talent that is younger than Marshall and therefore more valuable.

The reason we didn't get more than 2 3rd round picks is because Marshall isn't young. He's a vet with 6+ years in the league who in very short time will be past his prime and who in just a couple years will be on the decline forcing his current team to begin to consider his replacement.

By the time the Dolphins are a competing for the AFC East title, the Bears will be searching high and low for the next replacement for Brandon Marshall.

Players like Brandon Marshall (and Greg Jennings) need to be on competitive teams, not developing teams. It's a waste of money for a team headed for back-to-back .500 (or below) seasons.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part I agree with Mercury22

My biggest problem with the Dolphins for the past 17 years is the draft. My philosophy has always been to draft the best player available. Now I understand that all depends on how you rank your players and what criteria is used.

In my opinion, I believe Ireland drafts out of need with a skew that favors defensive players. Sure we drafted Tannehill in round 1 this year and moved up to draft Lamar Miller. But I would have drafted neither player.

As fans we are practically forced to buy into each years draft only to suffer buyers remorse one to two years later. Therefore, the answer is obvious Ireland simply needs to be replaced as GM. I seriously don't think there is any plan on his part.

As far as Ross goes my low opinion of him is scattered thru previous topics. Besides, he is not going to be in it for the long haul. He will probably sell the team within the next seven years, after all the man is already 72 years old.

So for your magazine article I would say the Dolphins current status is : Still waiting

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebuilding mode, and completely dependent on Tannehill's progression and ability to grow and learn as to whether the rebuild succeeds.

I know, that's not a very long article, but I'm sure you can fluff it up some

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an outsider being stuck in Dolphin country, Tannehill looked ok for a QB with no WRs to throw to besides Bess.
He needs to work on not staring his receivers down and his footwork so he can position himself better in throwing lanes.

BTW, why is Naane starting?
He should be a special teamer and a 4th receiver only.
He doesn't run dependable routes (see the Joseph pick on his lazy in route)
and is afraid of contact.
He reminds me of Jason Hill.
Awesome outside the numbers.
But inside the numbers, oy!

The defense looks good though.'
Your front 7 is stout.
As long as Wake and Starks (wow!) keep the pressure up, your DBs will be ok.

You have to at least say this about Ireland though, he knows what he doesn't want in his players. (See Marshall vs the Packers Thursday night, Matt Flynn (really Seattle!), Vontae Davis(Was terrible last week))
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami is the laughing stock of the NFL. Whenever you go 1-2 days and your team is repeatedly being reported upon, it is not good. The media's consistent coverage of the Fins make them look like idiots, and they are not. People forget Matt Flynn is a back up QB. Miami did not offer him a boat load of money, but yet the media crucified Ireland for it. They crucify Ireland for taking Jake Long and passing on Matt Ryan but they overlook the trade for Reggie Bush. We get mad at Ireland for investing big time dollars in offensive line, which I and others 100% endorsed at the time.

The FIns are a laughing stock, not because of Spielman but because of the owner. It is funny how every move when Parcels was in charge was given the benefit of the doubt. Did you guys hear Kiper and the so called draft experts when Miami selected Pat WHite in the second round? They heralded the pick because of the Wildcat. Now it is considered the worst pick in franchise history (yes, even behind Ted Ginn).

Now I do not have a lot of faith in Ryan Tanneyhill to be a franchise QB. It is hard for me to place my faith in a QB who was just switched from WR a couple years ago. I do not care what system he runs, he still has to throw the ball. It is hard setting through, yet another rebuilding season when there is more faith the Fins will squander the draft picks rather than make them work.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in full blown rebuild mode with a vision of rebuilding through the draft. We have some interesting parts to work with and a coach I believe in.. Everything hinges on Ryan tannehill. Its always nice to have extra high picks in a rebuild mode and we do
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merc's assessment of the organization is a polar view, and one that I think is a bit extreme.

Miami isn't as poor of a football team as many, including most of our fans, will give them credit for. This team is trying to transition from the Tony Sparano stone-age to a modern style of football. That's a difficult transition to make overnight.

What I will do is give Jeff Ireland credit for letting his coaches have serious input into their draft picks. Look at the total 180 we did in this year's draft compared to seasons past. And since when is Jeff Ireland supposed to be the leader of this football team? A football team's face and visionary and leader is the head coach. Ireland should be someone behind the scenes pulling the trigger on trades and players to make this team better. I happen to like his talent evaluation skills.

It's entirely too soon to tab Philbin as anything. He's been with this team 8 months and been playing football with them for 2.

I will agree the weapons are pathetic. BUT, Brandon Marshall made it very clear he did not want to be here. I would much rather part with him sooner than we'd like to but before he explodes as a time bomb. We needed a player of his caliber, but if he doesn't want to be here, that has the potential to get ugly real fast.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
DoLFaN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like where we are headed.. our high tempo no huddle offense will greatly benefit us at home games. its super hot and humid down here so teams will most likely be worn out in the 2nd half (as u saw against Oakland).. our offensive line is solid and our running game is getting better.. our front 7 is one of the best in the league IMO.. Dansby is everywhere and Koa Misi has been a tackling machine in the new 4-3 system

obviously our biggest concerns are receiver and the secondary but other then that we are looking good.. i think we will finish 8-8 or 9-7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: