Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Could Lamar Miller unseat Daniel Thomas?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Could Lamar Miller unseat Daniel Thomas? Reply with quote

Word is that Thomas may miss this weeks game with some concussion symptoms. As a result Lamar Miller may be promoted to the active roster. I suspect he would see some game time, taking the reps normally given the Thomas. My question is, do you think it unlikely or likely that Miller will unseat Thomas as the second guy in Miami. Word on the street was that Miller's pass blocking is all that stands in the way of him taking the job. Or at least, that's what I have heard.

Thoughts?
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing it. I think the guy will be a solid player. I didn't see enough demonstrated through pre-season to go along with the idea that he's an awesome pick. I loved the high-lights of him a the University of Miami but I'm not sure he's poised to break out the way some feel he is.

He's an exciting prospect but we really aren't trying to build a run-first offense either. The RBs in Green Bay didn't seem to matter that much or stick around for long, especially as the team developed around Rodgers. Likewise, I think we'll depend on the running game less and less with each passing year with the RB being of little consequence so long as he's got speed. I doubt that we'll get as much out of Lamar Miller as some are dreaming BUT...

...I do like what he brings to the table. He's definitely got speed.

Without question, I too am frustrated with Daniel Thomas so I'm all for giving Lamar Miller some opportunities if he's ready to go. After all, we are talking about who our 2nd RB will be. It's not like we don't know Reggie Bush will be the focal point.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not uncommon for stud RBs to get their first chance at some play time because the player in front of him on the depth chart got hurt. Arian Foster, for example.

I'm excited to see him in some real action.

His ceiling is very high. I wonder if we'll ever see him as a returner.
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
It's not uncommon for stud RBs to get their first chance at some play time because the player in front of him on the depth chart got hurt. Arian Foster, for example.

What...Thigpen's 1 TD-per-game not good enough for you? Wink Laughing
cddolphin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

What...Thigpen's 1 TD-per-game not good enough for you? Wink Laughing

True, I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it Laughing

I'm just kind of intrigued by Miller and really wanna see him in action.
Deets

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yea hes got a chance. Hes a guy this regime drafted highly so if hes producing on the field then by all means will he unseat Thomas. I really want to get to see his stuff against real defenses.

FF Member #67
Deadeye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up the blitz is going to be crucial for Tannehill's health. Rookies are notoriously easy to rattle, so I think we'll be seeing more blitzes than average.

But if he gets his chance, I think he's far more explosive than DT.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based off what Miller did today he should be the backup to Bush IMO. I saw more explosiveness from Miller in 1 game than I've seen from Thomas in over a year.
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we found out today what Lamar Miller can do. He is a guy that is a very patient runner, but when he hits the hole he goes. His long run down the sideline and his TD run were both good examples. He's more of a straight line runner than Reggie, which IMO is good to have both. His playing time was toward the end of the game, but he still made the most of his opportunity. I can't wait to see more of him moving forward.

His stats for today were 10 carries for 65 yards and a TD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think he will replace Bush not Thomas. Bush will walk next year and Miller will be our starter with Thomas getting his share. Also, anybody realize how average Brady has looked with replacement refs? Hmm... Call a fair game (well except for 2 horrible spots at the end of the Cards game) and not so amazing is he?
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course he has a chance. If the preference is to have a Reggie Bush type back as the backup. Daniel Thomas is a different style runner. He carries more weight and can therefore move the pile. But he certainly can unseat Thomas.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Well of course he has a chance. If the preference is to have a Reggie Bush type back as the backup. Daniel Thomas is a different style runner. He carries more weight and can therefore move the pile. But he certainly can unseat Thomas.

That's my biggest problem with Daniel Thomas. He actually doesn't move piles. He is generally too tall to get leverage. His best move is his spin move, but he tends to fumble too much when he uses it. Thomas is a solid second string RB, but he is not as good as Bush or Miller and had no business ever being drafted in the second round. Miller on the other hand should have been a high second round pick and has starter written all over him. I love the way he gets upfield and he got most of his yards when they knew we were trying to run the ball, not on draw plays and such.

Both are fantastic players! And I happen to think both will be back next year. We will pay Bush. Who else are we going to pay? Bush is the only legit moneymaker on this team. He is the only guy we have that will put butts in the seats. And he is a premier RB in the NFL. We have something in the range of 6o mil to spend next year, and I could see them resigning Bush to a 5 year 35 mil contract way sooner than I see them giving Jake Long his 6 year 100 mil contract he is probably going to want.

Speaking of Jake Long. Has anyone else noticed that he has been terrible this year based on Jake Long standards? I'm pretty sure I remember him letting a sack last game as well as a holding penalty and a false start. Then this week he allowed another sack and had an illegal formation called against him. I'm pretty sure that's not good by average standards for a LT. He hasn't looked like a 10 mil dollar man much less a 16 mil dollar man. So far he has looked like a 5 mil dollar man.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:

That's my biggest problem with Daniel Thomas. He actually doesn't move piles. He is generally too tall to get leverage. His best move is his spin move, but he tends to fumble too much when he uses it. Thomas is a solid second string RB, but he is not as good as Bush or Miller and had no business ever being drafted in the second round. Miller on the other hand should have been a high second round pick and has starter written all over him. I love the way he gets upfield and he got most of his yards when they knew we were trying to run the ball, not on draw plays and such.

Both are fantastic players! And I happen to think both will be back next year. We will pay Bush. Who else are we going to pay? Bush is the only legit moneymaker on this team. He is the only guy we have that will put butts in the seats. And he is a premier RB in the NFL. We have something in the range of 6o mil to spend next year, and I could see them resigning Bush to a 5 year 35 mil contract way sooner than I see them giving Jake Long his 6 year 100 mil contract he is probably going to want.

Speaking of Jake Long. Has anyone else noticed that he has been terrible this year based on Jake Long standards? I'm pretty sure I remember him letting a sack last game as well as a holding penalty and a false start. Then this week he allowed another sack and had an illegal formation called against him. I'm pretty sure that's not good by average standards for a LT. He hasn't looked like a 10 mil dollar man much less a 16 mil dollar man. So far he has looked like a 5 mil dollar man.

I am not so sure Reggie Bush will be back. They Fins are not stupid enough to franchise him. I take that back, perhaps they are but if he gets injured, which is certainly plausible considering his history and Miller steps up he may be allowed to walk.

And yes Jake Long is regressing. Partly because of the injuries but also because this offense caters to his weakness (pass blocking). He is effective when the run is established. This offense wants to run screens and move laterally. I guarantee Miami can trade Jake Long to Chicago right now for at least a first rounder. Laughing
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
This game changed my mind about bringing Bush back next season. I was prepared to let him walk, but now I think we should resign him. However, 5 years and 35 mil is nuts. He's old and smallish, I say two seasons for 6 million per season. Don't overspend on a veteran who won't be around much longer.

bpastermack wrote:
Yes, Jake Long looks out of place in our ZBS. Is there any chance (and would there be any benefit) to letting him play to a lower level this season, then sign him for less based on that, and finally move him to right tackle? The reason I ask is because he is not useful to us long term if he's going to play at the level we've seen thus far after two games.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
This game changed my mind about bringing Bush back next season. I was prepared to let him walk, but now I think we should resign him. However, 5 years and 35 mil is nuts. He's old and smallish, I say two seasons for 6 million per season. Don't overspend on a veteran who won't be around much longer.

bpastermack wrote:
Yes, Jake Long looks out of place in our ZBS. Is there any chance (and would there be any benefit) to letting him play to a lower level this season, then sign him for less based on that, and finally move him to right tackle? The reason I ask is because he is not useful to us long term if he's going to play at the level we've seen thus far after two games.

I'd say it's unrealistic. Every offense that runs a man/power-blocking scheme would probably offer him more than we would for him to play RT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: