Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Charting Jay (Jaguars game done)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Charting Jay (Jaguars game done) Reply with quote

So since MM has been breaking down the lines, I thought I would break down the skill positions on offense, I will do Jay every game and focus on a different WR, RB, or TE every week. This week will just be Jay b/c of the short week. Here is every offensive snap

1. Jay hits back foot, OLB in his face, nothing he can do.
2. Run
3. low snap, jay escapes pressure inside, throw a little bit in front of Jeffery, who's not expecting the ball
4. Pick six, 3-step drop, Marshall runs a 5 yard curl, Forte running the wheel route. Appears Marshall doesn't rub off the LB, Jay makes a bad throw.
5. Run
6. Play-action, jail break on right side, Jay w/ a good throw away to avoid the sack
7. Jay escapes pressure from his left, makes good throw to Marshall on the run for a 1st down
8. 1-step slip screen, good throw on target, drop by Forte
9. Run
10. 5-step drop, assume Kellen Davis ran wrong route, overthrow
11. 5-step drop, overthrows Marshall just a little who is well covered, near interception, nobody open
12. 5-step drop, escapes pressure from the middle, good throw to EB who is interfered with. 1st on the penalty
13. 3-step drop, throwaway to Jeffery in the corner of the endzone, good decision
14. Run
15. Jay politely tells the endzone crowd to shut up, TO
16. 3-step drop, throw to Marshall on the left, interference
17. Run
18. Run-TD
19. 3-step drop, target to Marshall over the middle, well covered, Jeffery open on the comeback
20. Run
21. Shotgun, great throw to Marshall in a tight window, drop
22. 3-step drop, good protection, slant, complete to marshall
23. Run
24. 3-step drop screen, complete to Forte w/ no blockers in front
25. Run
26. Shotgun, complete on quick hitch to EB
27. jay audibles, 5-step drop, complete to Marshall on the sideline fade in tight coverage, perfect throw
28. Play action, deep out to marshall, pda
29. Run-hold
30. shotgun, complete to Hester on Dig
31. Run
32. shotgun, complete to Forte on seam
33. 3-step drop, complete to Marshall on hitch, TD
34. Playaction, complete to Marshall on Dig, high ball
35. Run
36. Playaction, complete to Jeffery on dig, perfectly thrown
37. Run
38. 5-step drop, escapes to the right, throw incomplete to Hester on the skinny post, OPI on hester
39. Shotgun, complete to Marshall on slant
40. Run, FG
41. 5-step drop, complete to Adams on deep out
42. 5-step drop, incomplete to Marshall on Dig, well covered, bad decision, Marshall bats ball away from defender
43. 3-step drop, escapes pressure from the middle, batted down at the line
44. Shotgun, complete to Bennett on Dig
45. Run
46. Shotgun, complete to Marshall on slant
47. Shotgun, complete to Earl on dig, great run after catch
48. 3-step drop, quick hitch to marshall incomplete, PI, should have been caught
49. run, TD
50. run
51. 3-step drop, quick hitch to Jeffery complete. Jeffery does a masterful job of using physicality to create separation from press coverage
52. run
53. run, TD
54. end around to Hester
55. Shotgun, screen, TD saving tackle by colts CB
56. Shotgun, incomplete on hitch to Marshall, well covered, but a great throw, probably should have been caught
57. run
58. x-screen to Hester
59. Shotgun, sack, jail break on the edges
60. run
61. Shotgun, pass incomplete to EB on Dig, Kellen Davis runs wrong route brings safety into the zone, near interception
62. shotgun, complete to Marshall on slant, should have been a first down, great extension by Marshall
63. run
64. 5 step drop, back shoulder fade, great throw, great route
65. run
66. run
67. run
68. run
69. play action, complete to Jeffery on go route,TD, perfect ball, perfect catch
70. run
71. run
72. run
73. run
74. kneel

Observations: the 1-10 start was bad, but not all of it was on Jay, there were some catchable balls that got missed. He got a lot of pressure early on, but the OL settled down. Also, Jay is terrible at the playaction (the fake). If teams are buying his sell they really aren't paying attn. Once the offense settled down, Jay could put the ball in any spot he wanted it. Really only forced 2 balls to Marshall that probably shouldn't have been.

Outlook: Jay is hot as a 1000 suns right now. In his last 6 starts he's 6-0, has 10 TDs to 4 INTs, and a rating over 100. I fully believe we are witnessing Jay turn into an elite QB right in front of our eyes.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery

Last edited by Superman(DH23) on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:34 am; edited 3 times in total
bkokot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, and I agree with you about Cutler, I think he is finally starting to really realize his potential.

2014 Adopt a Bear - DT Stephen Paea
Tackles - 26 TFL - 7 Sacks - 6 Passes Deflected - 2 Forced Fumbles - 1
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100 percent with your last sentence DH23. Great write up.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Charting Jay Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:

65. run
66. run
67. run
68. run
69. play action, complete to Jeffery on go route,TD, perfect ball, perfect catch
This is how you catch a defense sleeping. It's clock killing time, you just ran the ball at them 4 times in a row, they are completely geared to stop the run and the safeties are cheating to the LOS. Jay checks it off at the line and calls the route to Jeffery who has single coverage w/ no help if Marshall sucks the single high safety to his side. Perfectly executed play. Tape of this tape should be a teaching tool. (Other than the play fake which is horrible)

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took a 1 week break from the site to avoid the "sky is falling" mentality that was sure to accompany the loss to GB. I have the tape of the game, and will revisit it for GB week part 2. It's one of those films you don't even watch as a team, you put it away and bring it back when you need it.

Waiting on yesterday's game to available, this week I will once again break down every Jay Cutler pass and I will feature Alshon Jeffery as my skill position player of the week. Breaking down every target and passes that could have or should have gone his way.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to the write up.

Just from my observations Jay did not look good this week and on top of it had some drops and tipped passers.

As I wrote in another thread this is going to be a work in progress.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 3 Vs Rams

1. Run
2. Looks like it's supposed to be a bubble screen but the ball comes loose from Jay
3. Playaction pass complete to Marshall on crossing route
4. Run
5. false start Chilo Rachal
6. Shotgon, pass complete to Kellen Davis on Y-Stick
7. Run
8. Shotgun, pass incomplete to Bennett on slant, great defensive play
9. Punt, holding, punt, roughing the punter
10. Bubble screen to Marshall complete
11. 5-step drop, pass incomplete to Jeffery on go route, good defensive play
12. 5-step drop, immediate pressure from the outside, pass incomplete to nobody
13. FG
14. False start, Lance Louis
15. playaction, pass incomplete to Davis on out route, high throw, near interception
16. shotgun, playaction, pressure up the middle, sack
17. shotgun, screen to Bush, well blocked, Forte takes it to the house (Jeffery w/ a great block to create the first down)
18. 5-step drop, pass incomplete on post to Jeffery, clear drop
19. Run
20. End around to Hester
21. Run
22. Run
23. Run, 4th down conversion
24. Run
25. Shotgun, pass incomplete to Marshall, ball intercepted on deflection, low ball but should have been caught
26. Run
27. Shotgun, run
28. Run
29. Shotgun, pass tipped incomplete to Marshall on quick slant, should have been caught
30. Shotgun, pass complete to Bennett on hitch
31. Punt
32. bubble screen, incomplete, terrible throw
33. shotgun, playaction, complete to Jeffery on comeback
34. Run
35. shotgun, screen pass to Bell
36. False start Rachal
37. Run
38. Run
39. shotgun, screen to Bush, great defensive play by Jenkins
40. shotgun, incomplete to Marshall on curl, horrible pass by Cutler, roughing the passer
41. playaction, complete to Marshall on jerk route, great pass
42. Run
43. shotgun, pass incomplete on post-corner to Jeffery, PI (Exceptional route by Jeffery), holding on offense, offset
44. Run
45. shotgun spread, complete to Marshall on in-route
46. Run, TD
47. Kneel
48. 7-step drop, pass incomplete to Marshall on deep comeback
49. Run
50. shotgun, pressure from right edge, sack
51. punt
52. Run
53. Run
54. shotgun, max protect, pass incomplete on deep out to Marshall, bad decision
55. 3-step drop, quick hitch to Jeffery complete
56. 3-step drop, quick hitch to Jeffery complete (great concentration by Jeffery, but made it harder on himself)
57. Run
58. shotgun, incomplete to Bennett on quick slant, throws behind Bennett, bad throw
59. shotgun, complete to Davis on curl
60. 3-step drop, quick hitch to Jeffery complete
61. playaction, complete to Adams on sneak-out route
62. Run
63. 5-step drop, sees hole open in front of him and runs for 21 yards, slides to avoid contact
64. 5-step drop, incomplete to Hester on corner fade, a little high throw, but a catchable ball, It should have been Jeffery in that spot
65. shotgun, incomplete to Marshall on crossing route, good defensive play
66. FG
67. 3-step drop, quick hitch complete to Jeffery
68. Run
69. Run
70. 3-step drop, hitch and go to Marshall, great throw
71. Run
72. Run
73. Run
74. FG
75. Kneel
76. Kneel
77. Kneel

Jay was kinda mediocre on this game, really didn't make any big mistakes, but his throws were very erratic. Tice gets stuck in a run or pass mode at times. There are several examples of 3-5 straight passes followed by 3-5 straight runs. Needs to be a bit more unpredictable. Jeffery completely set up that hitch and go completion to Marshall. Had they had gone to Jeffery instead of Marshall on that route its probably 6 b/c I'd guarantee you Jenkins or Finnegan would be sitting on it.

Speaking of Jeffery, time for my skill position player of the week analysis.

1. Jeffery runs every route like it's a go route. He completely drives defenders off the ball. It's backing up DBs at the line.

2. The 2 drops are inexcusable and he knows it, he has great hands on tape so one would believe its an abberation

3. I'd almost call the decision to take Jeffery off the field on the GL and replace him w/ Hester and then run a corner fade to that side of the field a firable offense. You can't convince me that that isn't a TD if Jeffery is in on that play.

4. His blocking really is exceptional. The young man likes to get physical. It's interesting he's yet another quiet young superstar developing here in Chicago.

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Week 3 Vs Rams

1. Run
2. Looks like it's supposed to be a bubble screen but the ball comes loose from Jay
3. Playaction pass complete to Marshall on crossing route
4. Run
5. false start Chilo Rachal
6. Shotgon, pass complete to Kellen Davis on Y-Stick
7. Run
8. Shotgun, pass incomplete to Bennett on slant, great defensive play
9. Punt, holding, punt, roughing the punter
10. Bubble screen to Marshall complete
11. 5-step drop, pass incomplete to Jeffery on go route, good defensive play
12. 5-step drop, immediate pressure from the outside, pass incomplete to nobody
13. FG
14. False start, Lance Louis
15. playaction, pass incomplete to Davis on out route, high throw, near interception
16. shotgun, playaction, pressure up the middle, sack
17. shotgun, screen to Bush, well blocked, Forte takes it to the house (Jeffery w/ a great block to create the first down)
18. 5-step drop, pass incomplete on post to Jeffery, clear drop
19. Run
20. End around to Hester
21. Run
22. Run
23. Run, 4th down conversion
24. Run
25. Shotgun, pass incomplete to Marshall, ball intercepted on deflection, low ball but should have been caught
26. Run
27. Shotgun, run
28. Run
29. Shotgun, pass tipped incomplete to Marshall on quick slant, should have been caught
30. Shotgun, pass complete to Bennett on hitch
31. Punt
32. bubble screen, incomplete, terrible throw
33. shotgun, playaction, complete to Jeffery on comeback
34. Run
35. shotgun, screen pass to Bell
36. False start Rachal
37. Run
38. Run
39. shotgun, screen to Bush, great defensive play by Jenkins
40. shotgun, incomplete to Marshall on curl, horrible pass by Cutler, roughing the passer
41. playaction, complete to Marshall on jerk route, great pass
42. Run
43. shotgun, pass incomplete on post-corner to Jeffery, PI (Exceptional route by Jeffery), holding on offense, offset
44. Run
45. shotgun spread, complete to Marshall on in-route
46. Run, TD
47. Kneel
48. 7-step drop, pass incomplete to Marshall on deep comeback
49. Run
50. shotgun, pressure from right edge, sack
51. punt
52. Run
53. Run
54. shotgun, max protect, pass incomplete on deep out to Marshall, bad decision
55. 3-step drop, quick hitch to Jeffery complete
56. 3-step drop, quick hitch to Jeffery complete (great concentration by Jeffery, but made it harder on himself)
57. Run
58. shotgun, incomplete to Bennett on quick slant, throws behind Bennett, bad throw
59. shotgun, complete to Davis on curl
60. 3-step drop, quick hitch to Jeffery complete
61. playaction, complete to Adams on sneak-out route
62. Run
63. 5-step drop, sees hole open in front of him and runs for 21 yards, slides to avoid contact
64. 5-step drop, incomplete to Hester on corner fade, a little high throw, but a catchable ball, It should have been Jeffery in that spot
65. shotgun, incomplete to Marshall on crossing route, good defensive play
66. FG
67. 3-step drop, quick hitch complete to Jeffery
68. Run
69. Run
70. 3-step drop, hitch and go to Marshall, great throw
71. Run
72. Run
73. Run
74. FG
75. Kneel
76. Kneel
77. Kneel

Jay was kinda mediocre on this game, really didn't make any big mistakes, but his throws were very erratic. Tice gets stuck in a run or pass mode at times. There are several examples of 3-5 straight passes followed by 3-5 straight runs. Needs to be a bit more unpredictable. Jeffery completely set up that hitch and go completion to Marshall. Had they had gone to Jeffery instead of Marshall on that route its probably 6 b/c I'd guarantee you Jenkins or Finnegan would be sitting on it.

Speaking of Jeffery, time for my skill position player of the week analysis.

1. Jeffery runs every route like it's a go route. He completely drives defenders off the ball. It's backing up DBs at the line.

2. The 2 drops are inexcusable and he knows it, he has great hands on tape so one would believe its an abberation

3. I'd almost call the decision to take Jeffery off the field on the GL and replace him w/ Hester and then run a corner fade to that side of the field a firable offense. You can't convince me that that isn't a TD if Jeffery is in on that play. That is exactly what I thought and told my buddy when I saw Jeffery leave the field. Ridiculously stupid move.

4. His blocking really is exceptional. The young man likes to get physical. It's interesting he's yet another quiet young superstar developing here in Chicago.
Nice job. BTW my enthusiasm about drafting Jeffrey is as high as ever in spite of some bad drops. He is going to be a monster in a year or so.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
I'd almost call the decision to take Jeffery off the field on the GL and replace him w/ Hester and then run a corner fade to that side of the field a firable offense. You can't convince me that that isn't a TD if Jeffery is in on that play.

Hester has been more offensively irrelevant so far this season than he has since 2007.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
I'd almost call the decision to take Jeffery off the field on the GL and replace him w/ Hester and then run a corner fade to that side of the field a firable offense. You can't convince me that that isn't a TD if Jeffery is in on that play.

Hester has been more offensively irrelevant so far this season than he has since 2007.
And I have no problem w/ that...do you? Right now he's be used (mostly) like he should be. A guy you design a package of plays for, plays designed to get him the ball in space and let him be special. The Bears are no longer trying to tell us he's even a starting WR, let alone #1.

IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

And I have no problem w/ that...do you? Right now he's be used (mostly) like he should be. A guy you design a package of plays for, plays designed to get him the ball in space and let him be special. The Bears are no longer trying to tell us he's even a starting WR, let alone #1.

I have no problem with that. But like you said, why was Hester on the field running a corner fade? If they truly want to use him as a gadget guy, there are better routes that Hester could be sent on on that down and distance than a corner fade.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

I have no problem with that. But like you said, why was Hester on the field running a corner fade? If they truly want to use him as a gadget guy, there are better routes that Hester could be sent on on that down and distance than a corner fade.
Honestly, taking Jeffery out in that situation makes no sense, he didn't just have a big run so he shouldn't be gassed, he's not hurt, and you have the ability to put a 6'5" WR, a 6'3 WR, a 6'7" TE and a 6'8 TE on the field all at the same time on the goal line. That's mismatch nightmares all over the field in the endzone. I have to think that was a check at the LOS by Jay to a corner fade. Maybe it was initially called a slant and Jay saw the DB cheating inside (he was).

raq11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't be more excited with how Alshon's progressing thru 3 weeks. 12 months ago he had top 5 overall talent, and that talent's still there. Truly exciting, and you don't hear a bad word about him from the clubhouse.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raq11 wrote:
I couldn't be more excited with how Alshon's progressing thru 3 weeks. 12 months ago he had top 5 overall talent, and that talent's still there. Truly exciting, and you don't hear a bad word about him from the clubhouse.
That's b/c the kid doesn't talk. He's just like Derek Rose and Matt Forte. Does all his talking on the field of play. Just another Silent Superstar in the city.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alshon has the look of a very good player and I love the way he came back from some early drops to put together key first downs when we needed them.

What has bothered me most about Jay is that he does not seem as comfortable, protection aside, from putting balls deep in good situations.

A couple times in Green Bay he got Alshon in lose 1 on 1 down the sideline but did not throw the ball.

Against the Rams we only really saw a couple of shots down the field.

At worse a long bomb overthrown gets into the DC head and into the secondaries head and provides a threat. Against the Cowboys I would have more faith in Jeffery and Marshall and when they blitz or attack just lose one on the sideline. Even if we complete 1/4 that could be the big play that wins the game.

Be an intelligent risk taker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: