Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Titus, screw your head on straight, man!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
I think we're confusing overly passionate with selfish. The uniform... i dont even know what the problem was. Was it accessories? If it was... then who cares. Whatever makes him feel good.

I remember a quote from Dion Sanders... "You look good, you feel good. You feel good, you play good.... etc"

Point is, if being flashy with football accessories makes him feel good and gives him confidence, then so what. It clearly wasn't a uniform violation or the coaching staff wouldnt have let him play with it.

As for his attitude, to me he's clealry just overly passionate and not in control of his emotions. I wouldnt call that selfish or 'me first'. That's more psychological. His passion for football is second to none. Thats pretty clear. And when you're passionate over something as aggresive as football, there is a natural reaction to be aggressive when your emotions are getting out if control.

Throwing punches at teammates and head butting opponents isn't being overly passionate. It's being dumb and showing he would rather protect his pride than do what's best for the team. He isn't getting into trouble during plays and blocking too hard, he is throwing punches and head butting after the play. That's just immature and does in fact show a me first attitude.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
I think we're confusing overly passionate with selfish. The uniform... i dont even know what the problem was. Was it accessories? If it was... then who cares. Whatever makes him feel good.

I remember a quote from Dion Sanders... "You look good, you feel good. You feel good, you play good.... etc"

Point is, if being flashy with football accessories makes him feel good and gives him confidence, then so what. It clearly wasn't a uniform violation or the coaching staff wouldnt have let him play with it.

As for his attitude, to me he's clealry just overly passionate and not in control of his emotions. I wouldnt call that selfish or 'me first'. That's more psychological. His passion for football is second to none. Thats pretty clear. And when you're passionate over something as aggresive as football, there is a natural reaction to be aggressive when your emotions are getting out if control.

Throwing punches at teammates and head butting opponents isn't being overly passionate. It's being dumb and showing he would rather protect his pride than do what's best for the team. He isn't getting into trouble during plays and blocking too hard, he is throwing punches and head butting after the play. That's just immature and does in fact show a me first attitude.

The punches and head-butting are, to me, a sign of immaturity. He's unwilling to walk away, and that's a huge weakness in this league. You don't need to be the tough guy... you don't need to make a statement. Just walk away.

Team Stylish
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His need to stand out and draw attention to himself as an individual is part of a personality issue which also culminates in his wardrobe.

His wardrobe choice most definitely is symbolic of the larger problem.

So his personality is an issue- the wardrobe, you say, is a symptom of that (if I understand correctly). That's fair, but treat the symptom and not the cause- to have a problem with his wardrobe when others on this team also deviate from the mean is ludicrous IMO.

Quote:
It's called a uniform for a reason!

I do think the two issues are related and his attitude is shown by his appearance. This is a guy that gets personal fouls, punches a team mate and even though disciplined doesn't get it. His entire persona seems to be look at me. His outbursts suggest players can't do that to me or I will retaliate. He is a member of a team yet behaves like an individual. Frankly he comes off as a prima donna.

Because we may disagree with your perspective hardly makes it ridiculous. Frankly others perceptions should be cause for thought not dismissal.

People's behavior can certainly be tied into their dress. I've seen numerous examples in the business world and I can tell you an individual's posture can even change based on apparel. There is a reason why a suit and tie is required in the business world and it isn't simply about respect.

The fact some may disagree isn't what makes it ridiculous- it's the notion that his wardrobe makes any difference whatsoever in, well, anything. It's also the fact you treat his deviation differently then some of the other players on the team. Does he have an attitude problem? Yes. Will changing his uniform in any way help that problem? No. So it isn't a big deal.

But lets say Schwartz does think it's an issue. Lets say he does make him, and him only, dress according to the mean because of his issues (I say him only, because he seems to be the only one you guys have a problem with because of his wardrobe). What message does that send? If his wardrobe somehow puts him in a situation where he is more liable to indulge in immature behavior, I would agree with you guys; but it doesn't. Even if his choice in wardrobe is a direct reflection of his immaturity, do you really think forcing him to dress like (mostly) everyone else will instill a sense of maturity in him?

This isn't the business world. I agree with what you say in respect to that, but this is the NFL and the same concept doesn't apply. It's not like he's wearing clown shoes and a Yankees cap, he is dressed within the rules.

Quote:

Although I think you're right (if he wasn't making mental mistakes, his wardrobe likely wouldn't be a topic of conversation), their point is that his "me first" attitude seems to be reflected in his need to dress differently.

It's kind of like the character concerns and strip clubs: it's not illegal for professional football players to go to strip clubs. When Pacman Jones was having legal problems and seen at strip clubs, it made him being there look far worse. It's not wrong that Young is dressing differently, but it's not helping his image right now.

I have never personally been to a strip club, but I'd imagine it's a place of temptation, where you could get into trouble if you're not mature enough to handle it. Comparing that to a change in wardrobe is apples to oranges. He isn't any more likely to engage in actions detrimental to the team if he deviates from the mean in regards to his wardrobe

Like I said above, if his "need to dress differently" is because of his immaturity, then fine; I don't disagree. Like I said above, however, having a problem with that would be addressing the symptom of the real issue in lieu of the issue itself.

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the actions of what you do in the strip club, its the perception of being there in the first place. That is the analogy.

And people are saying its an issue relating to his immaturity. I havent seen anyone say he should be suspended for wearing something different or we need a special Titus only dress policy. Its just people not liking his attitude and that shines through in his wardrobe. i wish he wouldnt do it, I think it shows immaturity and is about drawing attention to himself. he would rather look cool than look like a teamate. He puts himself ahead of his teamates in dress and in decisions he makes on the field. They are all related, its a charachter issue. And this thread for the most part is saying he needs to grow up and mature, which in turn would hopefully lead to him not sticking out like a sore thumb due to his clothes and poor actions.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
Quote:
His need to stand out and draw attention to himself as an individual is part of a personality issue which also culminates in his wardrobe.

So his personality is an issue- the wardrobe, you say, is a symptom of that (if I understand correctly). That's fair, but treat the symptom and not the cause- to have a problem with his wardrobe when others on this team also deviate from the mean is ludicrous IMO.

Quote:

I do think the two issues are related and his attitude is shown by his appearance. This is a guy that gets personal fouls, punches a team mate and even though disciplined doesn't get it. His entire persona seems to be look at me. His outbursts suggest players can't do that to me or I will retaliate. He is a member of a team yet behaves like an individual. Frankly he comes off as a prima donna.

Because we may disagree with your perspective hardly makes it ridiculous. Frankly others perceptions should be cause for thought not dismissal.

People's behavior can certainly be tied into their dress. I've seen numerous examples in the business world and I can tell you an individual's posture can even change based on apparel. There is a reason why a suit and tie is required in the business world and it isn't simply about respect.

The fact some may disagree isn't what makes it ridiculous- it's the notion that his wardrobe makes any difference whatsoever in, well, anything. It's also the fact you treat his deviation differently then some of the other players on the team. Does he have an attitude problem? Yes. Will changing his uniform in any way help that problem? No. So it isn't a big deal.

But lets say Schwartz does think it's an issue. Lets say he does make him, and him only, dress according to the mean because of his issues (I say him only, because he seems to be the only one you guys have a problem with because of his wardrobe). What message does that send? If his wardrobe somehow puts him in a situation where he is more liable to indulge in immature behavior, I would agree with you guys; but it doesn't. Even if his choice in wardrobe is a direct reflection of his immaturity, do you really think forcing him to dress like (mostly) everyone else will instill a sense of maturity in him?

This isn't the business world. I agree with what you say in respect to that, but this is the NFL and the same concept doesn't apply. It's not like he's wearing clown shoes and a Yankees cap, he is dressed within the rules.

Quote:

Although I think you're right (if he wasn't making mental mistakes, his wardrobe likely wouldn't be a topic of conversation), their point is that his "me first" attitude seems to be reflected in his need to dress differently.

It's kind of like the character concerns and strip clubs: it's not illegal for professional football players to go to strip clubs. When Pacman Jones was having legal problems and seen at strip clubs, it made him being there look far worse. It's not wrong that Young is dressing differently, but it's not helping his image right now.

I have never personally been to a strip club, but I'd imagine it's a place of temptation, where you could get into trouble if you're not mature enough to handle it. Comparing that to a change in wardrobe is apples to oranges. He isn't any more likely to engage in actions detrimental to the team if he deviates from the mean in regards to his wardrobe

Like I said above, if his "need to dress differently" is because of his immaturity, then fine; I don't disagree. Like I said above, however, having a problem with that would be addressing the symptom of the real issue in lieu of the issue itself.

FootballPhreak wrote:
I don't think anyone is saying we need to make TY specific wardrobe rules

Once again, noone has suggested anyone "treat" TY's wardrobe. Only that it is symbolic of the much larger problem. You are the only one suggesting anyone said to make TY specific rules or that the wardrobe is the problem that needs to be treated.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must have really got past the offseason issues if uniforms are our biggest concerns right now. Laughing

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FootballPhreak wrote:

Once again, noone has suggested anyone "treat" TY's wardrobe. Only that it is symbolic of the much larger problem. You are the only one suggesting anyone said to make TY specific rules or that the wardrobe is the problem that needs to be treated.

Then why complain about it?

detfan782004 wrote:

wut
YlionsY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't care if the dude wears flip flops and a tiara. Don't make stupid ace mistakes and contribute on the field.

I don't think him having an altered uniform set up makes him not a team player.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FootballPhreak wrote:

Noone did. Just pointed to it as symbolic of a larger problem, as has now been said 5 or 6 times.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FootballPhreak wrote:

Noone did. Just pointed to it as symbolic of a larger problem, as has now been said 5 or 6 times.

Many people are complaining about it

detfan782004 wrote:

wut
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He dresses like a punk and his actions are those of a punk.

There has been plenty of research done into sports and uniforms have an impact on behavior.

As an example research has shown that teams wearing black uniforms are at or near the top of their leagues in penalties.

It's about self perception and how you dress affects individuals behavior.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
lizardking28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happened to the preseason talk of Titus stepping it up this year? So far he has shown absolutely nothing. I know it's early, but I think he's made like 1 notable catch (which was in preseason) all through preseason and the first few weeks (1 catch in each reg season game).

He once again showed he lacked self discipline, he has not been getting seperation, gave up on a play yesterday against the niners, pushed off on another. He is close or has, lost more yards than he's gained us through the first two games. He just hasn't even looked good. We really need another WR to step up and Titus isn't doing it. Hopefully he does and we wont have to look elsewhere after the season is over.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizardking28 wrote:
So what happened to the preseason talk of Titus stepping it up this year? So far he has shown absolutely nothing. I know it's early, but I think he's made like 1 notable catch (which was in preseason) all through preseason and the first few weeks (1 catch in each reg season game).

He once again showed he lacked self discipline, he has not been getting seperation, gave up on a play yesterday against the niners, pushed off on another. He is close or has, lost more yards than he's gained us through the first two games. He just hasn't even looked good. We really need another WR to step up and Titus isn't doing it. Hopefully he does and we wont have to look elsewhere after the season is over.

It's week 2.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
lions on top

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

The punches and head-butting are, to me, a sign of immaturity. He's unwilling to walk away, and that's a huge weakness in this league. You don't need to be the tough guy... you don't need to make a statement. Just walk away.

I agree. Calvin (like always) made a perfect example of this last night. He caught that pass, Willis laid to wood to him and Goldson (I think) came in and both started to jaw at him. He simply got up, adjusted his helmet and walked away. Unfortunately, not something we've grown to expect to see from NFL players.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
lizardking28 wrote:

It's week 2.

It's only week two however Titus hasn't been playing poorly, he's been invisible.

2 catches for 25 yards and 1 rush for 11 yards simply isn't very good.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: