Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive woes - what can be done?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hibdib31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
I swear Big Ben lubes his jersey with KY Jelly before the game, it seems like nobody can grab him. And I dont know how nobody can seem to get a clean shot on a 250lb QB who is not fast, he is the master of not taking a square hit. Ben is an anomaly.

My guess is that guys either:

A: Try to put a good hit on him since he is a bigger guy, usually ending up in the whiffs when he shuffles around, or

B: Try to breakdown and contain him, which leads to arm tackles with Ben breaking free/throwing the ball with people draped on him.

Got to give credit where it is due, Ben knows how to move and use him size to extend plays.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand the "defensive woes". We did hold the Steelers to 284 yds, and 75 yds rushing at 2,9 ypc. Also, only 19 points.

Heath miller does what he does. Last year in two games against the Ravens he avaraged 4 catches for 57 yds, just about what he did to us.

Big Ben was his same "hard to bring down" self and played great even though getting hit 9 times.

Outside of a great 3rd down conversion rate, our D played pretty well against a very good Steelers team. Those guys get paid too.
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the "defensive woes". We did hold the Steelers to 284 yds, and 75 yds rushing at 2,9 ypc. Also, only 19 points.

Heath miller does what he does. Last year in two games against the Ravens he avaraged 4 catches for 57 yds, just about what he did to us.

Big Ben was his same "hard to bring down" self and played great even though getting hit 9 times.

Outside of a great 3rd down conversion rate, our D played pretty well against a very good Steelers team. Those guys get paid too.

I edited the thread to make it more broad and open to discussion. The original post could have easily gone in the gameday thread, and was posted at a time when the Steelers had had the ball for a long while and our defense couldnt get off the field.

The title was changed to make the thread more accessible for discussion about our defense.

Imo the linebackers didn't look so hot. We did a rough job covering the tight end, a problem that seems to have persisted from last year. I thought our corners looked great, and the line did a good job pass rushing from inside and out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:
I swear Big Ben lubes his jersey with KY Jelly before the game, it seems like nobody can grab him. And I dont know how nobody can seem to get a clean shot on a 250lb QB who is not fast, he is the master of not taking a square hit. Ben is an anomaly.

A: Try to put a good hit on him since he is a bigger guy, usually ending up in the whiffs when he shuffles around, or

B: Try to breakdown and contain him, which leads to arm tackles with Ben breaking free/throwing the ball with people draped on him.

Got to give credit where it is due, Ben knows how to move and use him size to extend plays.

I think even beyond this is that even with like three defenders draped all over him, he can still manage to get a pass off. That has to be mildly frustrating for the defensive guys trying to bring him down and for corner backs who just weren't expecting him to get the throw off.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:

I think even beyond this is that even with like three defenders draped all over him, he can still manage to get a pass off. That has to be mildly frustrating for the defensive guys trying to bring him down and for corner backs who just weren't expecting him to get the throw off.

What frustrates me the most is how players will dangle off of him trying to tie up his feet or pull him to the ground...JUST GRAB AND HOLD HIS THROWING ARM!

If you are some little cornerback or undersized player, don't try to get tangled in his legs. Grab and hold onto his arm and wait for some cleanup help. -__-
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is probably off topic...but if I were Osweiller, I develop part of my game watching Big Ben. I would put on some "good" weight so that I am was as heavy and strong as Big Ben...and I would develop the mind and attention to detail to the game that Manning does...

Could you imagine that...Big Ben with Manning's knowledge of the game? That would be lethal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: