Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JD's "official" PITTSBURGH PIRATES thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7073
Location: Show up run defense, PA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cue Jim Mora's famous "Playoffs!?!" soundbite because now the question is, after at one time being a comfortable 16 games over .500, will the Pirates be even able to snap their dubious record of 19 straight losing seasons? At one time the answer was easy but now they are incredibly just 72-70 thanks to their freefall for the past month or so.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24745
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe we've come so close..... it will be a miracle if they finish over. 500
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xjayex


Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 1263
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Buckos are only 2 games out of the 2nd WC spot. We've got 20 games left. I hope we make it.

I hope.


Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24745
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjayex wrote:
The Buckos are only 2 games out of the 2nd WC spot. We've got 20 games left. I hope we make it.

I hope.


Sad


Hard to believe as little as we've been winning
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34934
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe a team that shows no effort can still be in the playoffs.

14-28 in their last 42 games. If they even went 21-21, they'd be in almost convincing position to get a WC spot.

It's hard to watch anymore. At least when they were losing 100 games, they would at least care. Especially in September, they still had the heart to try. This team? There's no heart. None at all.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24745
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Get to watch the Pirate game!!!! Its on ESPN!!!!! Yay.


And it was a great one to watch!!!

Magic # is now 12!!!


Really? The magic number is far more than 12, sir.



Sad we never made it to 12.....

20 years and counting. Sad
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7073
Location: Show up run defense, PA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Get to watch the Pirate game!!!! Its on ESPN!!!!! Yay.


And it was a great one to watch!!!

Magic # is now 12!!!


Really? The magic number is far more than 12, sir.



Sad we never made it to 12.....

20 years and counting. Sad


I never would imagine when they were 16 games over .500 in August that they would have a losing season. The first team in MLB history to be over 16 games after 108 games only to end up with a losing record. Embarassed

It was a decent year and usually by May I'm disinterested in them but the miserable ending is going to leave a bitter taste in my mouth for the entire offseason. What's worse is that there is no accountability for the historic collapse.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lionslicer


Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 1809
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Get to watch the Pirate game!!!! Its on ESPN!!!!! Yay.


And it was a great one to watch!!!

Magic # is now 12!!!


Really? The magic number is far more than 12, sir.



Sad we never made it to 12.....

20 years and counting. Sad


I never would imagine when they were 16 games over .500 in August that they would have a losing season. The first team in MLB history to be over 16 games after 108 games only to end up with a losing record. Embarassed

It was a decent year and usually by May I'm disinterested in them but the miserable ending is going to leave a bitter taste in my mouth for the entire offseason. What's worse is that there is no accountability for the historic collapse.


I wouldn't know who to put the blame on. Clutch went from hottest player in baseball, to a bum in August. Up until like the last week, he was hitting under .200.
I have no idea who is in charge of coaching base running, but the base running was terrible. The batting coach left, though many believe he was asked to leave. Every hitter on the team hit a slump at one point, and it seemed like it took way longer than average for them to get out of the slumps. Jones was really the only player who didn't have trouble coming out of a slump.
Hurddle should take some blame, though I don't think he deserves to be fired. Give him another year, he has gotten young players to play well. I think his problem is his optimism. Every late season losing steak, he always said "It's a long season, we still have time to win games blah blah blah" He needs to be a bit more stern on the players. He gets players to play above their full potential at times, yet he loses the team late in the season because he just doesn't come down on anyone.
_________________
Kickers are people too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7073
Location: Show up run defense, PA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pirates signed catcher Russell Martin to a 2 year $17 million contract. Any upgrade over Barjas is welcomed especially behind the plate where Martin can at least throw out more than a runner per month. Don't know what this means for prospect and former #4 overall pick Tony Sanchez? A very poor pick in the first place. He wasn't worth that high of a selection.

Also Jeff Karstens will not be tendered a contract.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Curtain


Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 482
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very surprised by that contract, but I think it's mostly for defensive purposes, while also not having a black hole in the lineup such as Barajas.

Tony Sanchez seemed like a good pick at first. Was showing great character and intangibles. Then he dropped off the face of the planet, with the injuries and getting his jaw broken in a bar fight kind of nonsense. He seems like a complete bust at this point. Maybe a future backup catcher. He's definitely not going to be our franchise catcher, though. That much is for sure. Shame.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34934
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanchez was hitting pretty poorly in AAA last I heard. Russell Martin was terrible in the AL; perhaps he'll return to form in the NL.

three time All-Star so far (all NL) and he's not even 30 yet. We're going to get some good production out of him.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KJtheWicked


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1715
Location: Norrisville, Pa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, while Sanchez's offense may not be MLB ready, his defense is very good. Defensively, he would be an upgrade over any catcher we had last year, as well as Martin. Needs some work with the bat though.
_________________

Go Noles!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34934
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJtheWicked wrote:
Actually, while Sanchez's offense may not be MLB ready, his defense is very good. Defensively, he would be an upgrade over any catcher we had last year, as well as Martin. Needs some work with the bat though.


Defense was never the issue with Sanchez. His defense was the main reason he was guaranteed to be a top-10 pick when he came out. His batting was inconsistent.

Then again, El Toro is also an inconsistent hitter; look how that's turned out.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stefan52268


Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 6931
Location: Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121221&content_id=40771364&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Quote:
The Pirates have agreed to terms on a two-year, $14 million contract with pitcher Francisco Liriano, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported on Friday.

The deal is pending a physical, and the Pirates haven't confirmed the transaction.

Liriano, 29, was 6-12 with a 5.34 ERA in 34 games, including 28 starts, for the Twins and White Sox last season. He spent most of his career with Minnesota and had his best year during an All-Star 2006 season when he was 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA



Pirates may have signed former All Star Lefty Pitcher Francisco Liriano.

I haven't followed him much could he contribute to the Starting Rotation? If so, it would be nice to have another starting left handed pitcher!
_________________

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7073
Location: Show up run defense, PA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan52268 wrote:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121221&content_id=40771364&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Quote:
The Pirates have agreed to terms on a two-year, $14 million contract with pitcher Francisco Liriano, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported on Friday.

The deal is pending a physical, and the Pirates haven't confirmed the transaction.

Liriano, 29, was 6-12 with a 5.34 ERA in 34 games, including 28 starts, for the Twins and White Sox last season. He spent most of his career with Minnesota and had his best year during an All-Star 2006 season when he was 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA



Pirates may have signed former All Star Lefty Pitcher Francisco Liriano.

I haven't followed him much could he contribute to the Starting Rotation? If so, it would be nice to have another starting left handed pitcher!


Wow, I had no idea they were interested in him. He was at one time one of the bright young pitchers in baseball. I think coming to the NL and pitching in PNC will definitely help him. I like that deal and I'm not a big Huntington fan at all.

Plenty of rumors flying around regarding Joel Hanrahan. The Dogers and Red Sox are really interested in him. I would say it's a matter of when not if the Bucs deal him. With the resigning of Jason Grilli he most likely would take over the closer duties when The Hammer is traded.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group