Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Soldier Field Faithful Don't Know When to Make Some Noise
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7190
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Soldier Field Faithful Don't Know When to Make Some Noise Reply with quote

For anybody who hasn't been following it, this has been a huge story today:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/8362560/jay-cutler-tells-chicago-bears-fans-quiet-red-zone

ESPN Chicago wrote:
"Please, please, please, let's tone it down a little bit when we're down on the 20," Cutler said after leading the Bears to a 41-21 win over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday at Soldier Field. "You're more than welcome to yell and scream and do whatever you want to do after we score, but please let's go ahead and quiet the stadium down and save it until after we score.

"Thank you. PSA."


Lovie echoed those sentiments as well.

As a result, the local radio stations were taking calls today from people who were saying that Cutler is a jerk, and Lovie is a bad coach, neither of them should be listened or respected, and if they're paying X number of dollars for a ticket, they'll yell and scream and cheer whenever they like.

While this is a new story, this has been going on for quite a while now (I'd like to hear ChicagoAl's input on this, since I know he's a longtime ticket holder). It seems like half of the fans inside of Soldier Field are shut up way too easily when the opposing offense makes a big play, and then they go nuts when our offense is trying to go to work on the field.

They have Staley Da Bear running around the endzone holding a sign that says "quiet," messages on the video boards telling fans to be quiet, the players trying to signal for the fans to be quiet, and they keep right on screaming.

This, along with the fact that people are quite proudly saying they won't comply, is downright embarrassing to the entire fanbase. There's no reason why Soldier Field shouldn't be just as loud as The Black Hole or the 12th Man when the defense is on the field, and there's also no excuse for anybody to be doing anything besides sitting on their hands when Cutler is calling audibles and the already-awful offensive line is trying to listen to the cadence.

To me, I feel like part of the problem is the high number of disinterested fans who come to the game. Don't get me wrong; Soldier Field is filled on a weekly basis by people who have been there throughout all of the bad and the very little good, through blizzards and fog storms and rain, and who will stand there and cheer for their team until the final buzzer even against an insurmountable deficit.

At the same time, every time I go to Soldier Field, I feel like half of the people around me are fickle idiots who are more interested in drinking $8 Miller Lites and ripping on the Bears than they are cheering for them. For $200 per aftermarket ticket, maybe they feel like that's their right, but it's idiocy like this that makes me shake my head and wonder how one of the most storied franchises in professional sports can be followed by so many people who are so flat-out dumb.


Last edited by IronMike84 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TytybearsFan21


Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Posts: 18490
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHO KEEPS LETTING IN FANS OF THE FIELD! THEY DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT FOOTBALL THEY JUST SHOUT AT HOW GOOD THE FIELDS HOLDING UP. STUPID SOLDIER FIELD FANS
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7190
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
WHO KEEPS LETTING IN FANS OF THE FIELD! THEY DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT FOOTBALL THEY JUST SHOUT AT HOW GOOD THE FIELDS HOLDING UP. STUPID SOLDIER FIELD FANS

Fixed it Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bearsaddict


Joined: 26 Apr 2006
Posts: 3544
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is painful to see. It is so dang annoying to see Jay have to wave down the yelling all the time. Anyone who thinks Jay is a jerk for trying to shut up the crowd is probably at the intelligence level as the girl at your superbowl party that asks everyone why they don't just run around the end of the pile of guys instead of running right into the middle of everyone.
_________________
Here's to hoping Emery is NOTHING like Angelo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TexasBearsFan


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 1253
Location: Waco, TX
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago fans, by and large, are stupid knuckleheads. This we already knew. It was never more apparent than right after the loss in the NFC championship game when people were burning Cutler jerseys. It was apparent again after pre-season game one when people were demanding we cut Cutler because he didn't play in a meaningless game.

Fans are stupid and obnoxious and it's why you couldn't pay me to go to more than 1 game a year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TytybearsFan21


Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Posts: 18490
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
It really is painful to see. It is so dang annoying to see Jay have to wave down the yelling all the time. Anyone who thinks Jay is a jerk for trying to shut up the crowd is probably at the intelligence level as the girl at your superbowl party that asks everyone why they don't just run around the end of the pile of guys instead of running right into the middle of everyone.


Well, why don't they?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raq11


Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 686
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so predictable that the crowd's going to get loud too. Getting tiresome to try and shut ppl up. Last season they had it up on the jumbotron "Quiet, offense at work" This season they have Staley wearing pajamas with the same sign. Nothing seems to work, hopefully this does. Good for Jay. If anyone thinks he's a -, they should have their season tickets revoked.

The comments on this story on the ESPN page are near embarrassing. Some saying "this should have waited til Friday, now the Packers are going to get really loud when Jay has the ball". It's the problem with some fans nowadays, their brains appeared to have left their bodies years ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7190
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raq11 wrote:
IThe comments on this story on the ESPN page are near embarrassing.

I didn't even read the comments. They'll just make me too mad.

One guy called the score today and said that he was sitting in the south endzone, and a guy was talking about how he was a longtime season ticket holder, and the same guy tried starting a "lets go Bears" chant when the offense was down in the redzone. Lunacy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7190
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Biggs wrote:
Itís not a new problem. The Bears, for a couple seasons now, have paid a company to come to practice and pipe in crowd noise before home games.

They practice with noise for HOME GAMES! Do the fans realize that most teams only do this for AWAY GAMES?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 11043
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
raq11 wrote:
IThe comments on this story on the ESPN page are near embarrassing.

I didn't even read the comments. They'll just make me too mad.

One guy called the score today and said that he was sitting in the south endzone, and a guy was talking about how he was a longtime season ticket holder, and the same guy tried starting a "lets go Bears" chant when the offense was down in the redzone. Lunacy.

Yeah, I heard a guy call in yesterday saying how they won't get a quiet field in GB or MIN to operate in the red zone. Well duh, but those are ROAD GAMES. You should never have to call a noise-related timeout in a game in your own stadium. The whole point of home field advantage, after all, is to have ideal operating conditions for you and enhanced difficulty for the opponent.

I don't know what is more frustrating about it - that so many fans just don't know any better or that even if they didn't that they're too busy celebrating a play that didn't result in a score to be paying enough attention to the field to see that their QB is telling them to quiet down so they can run the next play, and then getting mad at the QB because he is upset that they, the team's own fans, don't understand that they're hurting the very team they're rooting for.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IronMike84


Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 7190
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
I don't know what is more frustrating about it - that so many fans just don't know any better or that even if they didn't that they're too busy celebrating a play that didn't result in a score to be paying enough attention to the field to see that their QB is telling them to quiet down so they can run the next play, and then getting mad at the QB because he is upset that they, the team's own fans, don't understand that they're hurting the very team they're rooting for.

What's frustrating about it the fact that some of these people are not only indifferent about causing time-outs, false starts, and miscommunications at their home field, but that some of them are actually PROUD of it and then blame the players "for not doing their jobs!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShaggyBear


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 963
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but that is chicago. I am a die hard sox fan and it's sad that they can't fill seats at that stadium (I have been to 3 games this year) for a first place team, and the cubs seem to fill the stadium for a last place team and half the people at those games can't even name half the roster
_________________
Adopt-A-Bear: Matt Forte; Carries- 289, Yards- 1339, Rushing TD's- 9, YPC- 4.6, Receptions- 74, Reception Yards - 594, Reception TD's - 3, Reception Average- 8.0, Fumbles - 2, APY - 1933

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GRRLacher


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 20640
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sad statement on the fanbase when the coach and QB have to go on national television and tell them when they are supposed to be quiet during a game to help out their own team.

Bears fans are diehard, but certainly can be aloof and stupid at times too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 8018
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldier Field Faithful Don't Know When to Make Some Nois Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
For anybody who hasn't been following it, this has been a huge story today:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/8362560/jay-cutler-tells-chicago-bears-fans-quiet-red-zone

ESPN Chicago wrote:
"Please, please, please, let's tone it down a little bit when we're down on the 20," Cutler said after leading the Bears to a 41-21 win over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday at Soldier Field. "You're more than welcome to yell and scream and do whatever you want to do after we score, but please let's go ahead and quiet the stadium down and save it until after we score.

"Thank you. PSA."


Lovie echoed those sentiments as well.

As a result, the local radio stations were taking calls today from people who were saying that Cutler is a jerk, and Lovie is a bad coach, neither of them should be listened or respected, and if they're paying X number of dollars for a ticket, they'll yell and scream and cheer whenever they like.

While this is a new story, this has been going on for quite a while now (I'd like to hear ChicagoAl's input on this, since I know he's a longtime ticket holder). It seems like half of the fans inside of Soldier Field are shut up way too easily when the opposing offense makes a big play, and then they go nuts when our offense is trying to go to work on the field.

They have Staley Da Bear running around the endzone holding a sign that says "quiet," messages on the video boards telling fans to be quiet, the players trying to signal for the fans to be quiet, and they keep right on screaming.

This, along with the fact that people are quite proudly saying they won't comply, is downright embarrassing to the entire fanbase. There's no reason why Soldier Field shouldn't be just as loud as The Black Hole or the 12th Man when the defense is on the field, and there's also no excuse for anybody to be doing anything besides sitting on their hands when Cutler is calling audibles and the already-awful offensive line is trying to listen to the cadence.

To me, I feel like part of the problem is the high number of disinterested fans who come to the game. Don't get me wrong; Soldier Field is filled on a weekly basis by people who have been there throughout all of the bad and the very little good, through blizzards and fog storms and rain, and who will stand there and cheer for their team until the final buzzer even against an insurmountable deficit.

At the same time, every time I go to Soldier Field, I feel like half of the people around me are fickle idiots who are more interested in drinking $8 Miller Lites and ripping on the Bears than they are cheering for them. For $200 per aftermarket ticket, maybe they feel like that's their right, but it's idiocy like this that makes me shake my head and wonder how one of the most storied franchises in professional sports can be followed by so many people who are so flat-out dumb.
I think this has been blown way out of proportion. In the South endzone there is no real issue with excessive noise and we quiet those who are too noisy when appropriate. We credited our noise with one of the Colts false starts penalties when they threatened.

Cutler's remarks were fine and the idiot response is what you get when fans listen to these idiot radio mouths (like B&B) who aren't happy unless they are undermining better men. I could not believe they were still talking about this yesterday rather than discussing the nice win. But they are the worst.

There is much less drinking there now than there was in the 70s (of course we smuggled in our own booze even beer then), I hardly ever see a fight in the stands now. There are plenty of stupid fans out there though who boo like jerks at the wrong time. But they don't last long around our section.

I almost got into a fight myself last year by calling a guy on his mouth. We settled it amicably over a shot of Irish.

I'll give the fans a pass for Sunday since it was so exciting to see an offense that can destroy an opponent without much of a problem. We were terribly excited by our new WRs showing what they can do. Jay is also more affected now than in the past since he can audible now which means he has to yell louder when the fans are too loud.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 11043
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Soldier Field Faithful Don't Know When to Make Some Nois Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Jay is also more affected now than in the past since he can audible now which means he has to yell louder when the fans are too loud.

That's a great point about audibling. It was a problem even before with our OL having difficulties hearing the snap count at home games. That's just inexcusable.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group