Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens vs Bengals GDT: Let's Win One for Art
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which second year receiver will have the bigger game?
Torrey Smith
91%
 91%  [ 22 ]
A.J. Green
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
LaQuan Williams
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tandon Doss
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author Message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 20276
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Someone said McPhee looked good, and from what I read/saw on Twitter/saw during the game, McPhee didn't look that great at all. Art Jones actually I thought had more of an impact than Pernell did.

And I actually thought Cary Williams played somewhat well last night. Jimmy Smith had a rough night because he STILL gets lost in coverage and can't handle double moves and can't find the ball, but Cary was tough in coverage and just missed a couple of tackles; but it's week 1.

Either way, the big question going into next week is "What will happen on offense?" Are we going to keep the gas pedal down and keep attacking people with the no huddle offense, or is Cam going to do what Cam does best and completely revert the offense and cause us to have a a "WTFFFFF IS HAPPENING" game like last year against Tennessee? We shall find out, I have a stinging suspicion that we are gonna come out balls to the wall against Philly next weekend, though, and I am 100% okay with that!

I disagree. The guy got burned the entire first half. He was consistently being attacked by Dalton no matter what receiver he was covering (I can understand Green abusing him- because Green is a beast). Cary got a little more under control in the 2nd half, but at the same time the pass rush was also much more effective in the 2nd half of the game.

In terms of Jimmy, I thought he didn't play a good game, but at the same time I think it's to be expected. Jimmy plays best in press man... it's what he did almost exclusively at Colorado... coming into the NFL he hadn't much, if any, experience in off-man coverage... he was very raw in that regard. I've noticed that when we utilize Jimmy in press he looks much more comfortable. In terms of his weakness to double moves, it's definitely a problem.. but I expect that to improve as the season goes along. We have to remember that he lost most of his rookie season to a high ankle sprain. Recognizing and staying disciplined against double moves is a technique issue and I expect to see strides in that regard as the season progresses.


Agreed, Cary was getting picked on pretty good. He did a good job of limiting YAC, and had a few nice breakups, but he was getting targetted for a reason.

Jimmy on the other hand, I thought played ok. He got spun around once, but I don't remember too much more than that in terms of negatives on him, which is a good thing.
_________________


^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 18823
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he must've played badly for the first 45 or so mins of the game because I started watching the game when it was 10-3 and from then on Cary was playing well. My mistake for that.
_________________


Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FlaccoForever


Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 280
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Rainey clears waivers and is back with the Ravens:

Quote:
bobbyrainey Bobby Rainey
Thanks for the txt, phone calls, FB messages, & tweets everyone! God got me so I'm fine! I'm still with the #Ravens everyone! Thanks again!🙏
4 minutes ago Reply Retweet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Integrity


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4178
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlaccoForever wrote:
Bobby Rainey clears waivers and is back with the Ravens:

Quote:
bobbyrainey Bobby Rainey
Thanks for the txt, phone calls, FB messages, & tweets everyone! God got me so I'm fine! I'm still with the #Ravens everyone! Thanks again!🙏
4 minutes ago Reply Retweet



_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12768
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlaccoForever wrote:
Bobby Rainey clears waivers and is back with the Ravens:

Quote:
bobbyrainey Bobby Rainey
Thanks for the txt, phone calls, FB messages, & tweets everyone! God got me so I'm fine! I'm still with the #Ravens everyone! Thanks again!🙏
4 minutes ago Reply Retweet

The rest of the league deserve to be served a sentence against a firing squad for this... how dumb are they... SOMEONE had to have been in need for a back. Rainey has proven an effective skillset and shown explosiveness. You telling me no team needing a RB thought to look his way?

Anyways, I'm happy. Rainey is still TECHNICALLY our 3rd back. If for any reason Rice or Pierce go down, Rainey will be bumped up to the varsity squad.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RAVINGMADD


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 2511
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlaccoForever wrote:
Bobby Rainey clears waivers and is back with the Ravens:

Quote:
bobbyrainey Bobby Rainey
Thanks for the txt, phone calls, FB messages, & tweets everyone! God got me so I'm fine! I'm still with the #Ravens everyone! Thanks again!🙏
4 minutes ago Reply Retweet

That's awesome. I would have thought someone would have taken him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drd23


Moderator
Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Posts: 5104
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazybirthdaykid.gif

That is great news. I find it hard to believe that there are teams out there that didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the bottom of their roster by signing him. Maybe they are just content to keep lesser talents around just because they know the offense?
_________________

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12768
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
crazybirthdaykid.gif

That is great news. I find it hard to believe that there are teams out there that didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the bottom of their roster by signing him. Maybe they are just content to keep lesser talents around just because they know the offense?

Agreed. I mean I look at a team like Green Bay who have a whole at RB and if I were them I'd be doing my best to find a factor back to complete my offensive balance. Maybe Rainey isn't the player, but he's not going to cost you much and his contract wouldn't even have been guaranteed. I mean we know he's dynamic as a back coming out of the backfield and we know he is at the very least a pretty good one-cut RB... I'd give him a few weeks to pickup the lango...and see if he can't make an impact. Because if he shines and becomes the next Arian Foster (undrafted, stud-back) then it's well worth the investment you made to get him on your roster.

And the Packers are just one example. I'm just so glad we found a way to get him back and the gamble paid off. If Rice goes down, I'm not really all that worried about our offense being able to continue its rhythm between Pierce and Rainey... though obviously you never want it to come down to that since Rice is... well, a top 3-5 back in this league.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8175
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
drd23 wrote:
crazybirthdaykid.gif

That is great news. I find it hard to believe that there are teams out there that didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the bottom of their roster by signing him. Maybe they are just content to keep lesser talents around just because they know the offense?

Agreed. I mean I look at a team like Green Bay who have a whole at RB and if I were them I'd be doing my best to find a factor back to complete my offensive balance. Maybe Rainey isn't the player, but he's not going to cost you much and his contract wouldn't even have been guaranteed. I mean we know he's dynamic as a back coming out of the backfield and we know he is at the very least a pretty good one-cut RB... I'd give him a few weeks to pickup the lango...and see if he can't make an impact. Because if he shines and becomes the next Arian Foster (undrafted, stud-back) then it's well worth the investment you made to get him on your roster.

And the Packers are just one example. I'm just so glad we found a way to get him back and the gamble paid off. If Rice goes down, I'm not really all that worried about our offense being able to continue its rhythm between Pierce and Rainey... though obviously you never want it to come down to that since Rice is... well, a top 3-5 back in this league.


Ok, ok... Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I see this happen a lot with our favorite UDFA's that almost make the team. I think you may be overrating Rainey to a degree. Very low chance he becomes the next Foster. If Foster hadn't been injured in his last season in college, then there's a good chance he's taken in the 2nd round, maybe creeping into the first. Also, if Rice goes down, I'm going to be very worried about our offense being able to continue its rhythm.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12768
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
drd23 wrote:
crazybirthdaykid.gif

That is great news. I find it hard to believe that there are teams out there that didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the bottom of their roster by signing him. Maybe they are just content to keep lesser talents around just because they know the offense?

Agreed. I mean I look at a team like Green Bay who have a whole at RB and if I were them I'd be doing my best to find a factor back to complete my offensive balance. Maybe Rainey isn't the player, but he's not going to cost you much and his contract wouldn't even have been guaranteed. I mean we know he's dynamic as a back coming out of the backfield and we know he is at the very least a pretty good one-cut RB... I'd give him a few weeks to pickup the lango...and see if he can't make an impact. Because if he shines and becomes the next Arian Foster (undrafted, stud-back) then it's well worth the investment you made to get him on your roster.

And the Packers are just one example. I'm just so glad we found a way to get him back and the gamble paid off. If Rice goes down, I'm not really all that worried about our offense being able to continue its rhythm between Pierce and Rainey... though obviously you never want it to come down to that since Rice is... well, a top 3-5 back in this league.


Ok, ok... Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I see this happen a lot with our favorite UDFA's that almost make the team. I think you may be overrating Rainey to a degree. Very low chance he becomes the next Foster. If Foster hadn't been injured in his last season in college, then there's a good chance he's taken in the 2nd round, maybe creeping into the first. Also, if Rice goes down, I'm going to be very worried about our offense being able to continue its rhythm.

I never stated that Rainey was going to be the next Foster. I simply said that Green Bay lacks a RB and that they should at least be trying to experiment with different options to correct that situation. I said Rainey was an inexpensive option to take advantage of. And then I said, IF he shines as an UDFA it's well worth it. Arian Foster is simply one example of an UDFA stud-back. I could list Warrick Dunn, Priest Holmes, etc. Foster was simply the most recent UDFA back to be a big time RB in the league. It's a comparison of circumstance, not playing ability... if I were comparing playing ability, I'd have chosen a different player.

And in terms of Foster possibly being a 1st/2nd round option... it doesn't matter to me. Priest Holmes went undrafted, Terrell Davis too. I'm sure if there was a redraft of RBs, they'd have went a lot higher than guys who might've gone in the early rounds but didn't possess a candle to the kinds of careers they put together. Talent is talent is talent. Where Foster went makes no difference to me... except financially. The point is the cost of seeing IF Rainey can't be the next in line UDFA back to make an impact when you have a horrid backfield... is not much of a cost at all especially BECAUSE of his lack of his UDFA status.

And in terms of talent, Rainey is an explosive athlete and a very good receiver out of the backfield. He was a two time offensive player of the year for his conference in college. That's talent. His size and small school is what likely kept him off of the radar, but now that he's on it, I'm not going to act like because he wasn't drafted that he doesn't have the talent to be AT LEAST a competent starter somewhere in this league. His agility drills at the combine were just a hair below Rice's, he displayed great explosive numbers, and good strength. The preseason displayed his balance and RB vision. Rainey is a talent.

In terms of Rice going down. We probably see less production out of the RB unit- for sure. But we're much more capable to handle a Rice injury than any point since we drafted him... including when we also had McGahee. Pierce, like I said at draft time, is talented... he's only going to get better. And Rainey is a poor man's Ray Rice. I see the talent and skill set for him to really fit into today's NFL and become a top 15 back at some point. At an UDFA salary for a few seasons, you'd be hard-pressed to find such a great deal elsewhere.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8175
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got what you're saying, but again Priest Holmes had big injury red-flags coming out of Texas and Warrick Dunn was a 1st rounder. I'm not saying where they are drafted is the end-all-be-all, but Foster and Holmes definitely had apparent talent, so they might not serve as the best comparison.

Quote:
The point is the cost of seeing IF Rainey can't be the next in line UDFA back to make an impact when you have a horrid backfield... is not much of a cost at all especially BECAUSE of his lack of his UDFA status.


But using this logic, there are plenty of backs that are cheap to bring in that COULD be something. Don't get me wrong, I like Rainey a lot and am surprised he got through waivers, I just think we (much like all other fans) tend to overrate our own depth players to a degree, much of the time those who haven't seen much actual game time, thus not giving us a chance to doubt their potential. It's like numerous different fan bases claiming that their backup could probably start for 10 teams, its simply not true if you actually do the comparison to other teams' starters.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
FlaccoForever


Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Posts: 280
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
drd23 wrote:
crazybirthdaykid.gif

That is great news. I find it hard to believe that there are teams out there that didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the bottom of their roster by signing him. Maybe they are just content to keep lesser talents around just because they know the offense?

Agreed. I mean I look at a team like Green Bay who have a whole at RB and if I were them I'd be doing my best to find a factor back to complete my offensive balance. Maybe Rainey isn't the player, but he's not going to cost you much and his contract wouldn't even have been guaranteed. I mean we know he's dynamic as a back coming out of the backfield and we know he is at the very least a pretty good one-cut RB... I'd give him a few weeks to pickup the lango...and see if he can't make an impact. Because if he shines and becomes the next Arian Foster (undrafted, stud-back) then it's well worth the investment you made to get him on your roster.

And the Packers are just one example. I'm just so glad we found a way to get him back and the gamble paid off. If Rice goes down, I'm not really all that worried about our offense being able to continue its rhythm between Pierce and Rainey... though obviously you never want it to come down to that since Rice is... well, a top 3-5 back in this league.


Ok, ok... Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I see this happen a lot with our favorite UDFA's that almost make the team. I think you may be overrating Rainey to a degree. Very low chance he becomes the next Foster. If Foster hadn't been injured in his last season in college, then there's a good chance he's taken in the 2nd round, maybe creeping into the first. Also, if Rice goes down, I'm going to be very worried about our offense being able to continue its rhythm.

I never stated that Rainey was going to be the next Foster. I simply said that Green Bay lacks a RB and that they should at least be trying to experiment with different options to correct that situation. I said Rainey was an inexpensive option to take advantage of. And then I said, IF he shines as an UDFA it's well worth it. Arian Foster is simply one example of an UDFA stud-back. I could list Warrick Dunn, Priest Holmes, etc. Foster was simply the most recent UDFA back to be a big time RB in the league. It's a comparison of circumstance, not playing ability... if I were comparing playing ability, I'd have chosen a different player.

And in terms of Foster possibly being a 1st/2nd round option... it doesn't matter to me. Priest Holmes went undrafted, Terrell Davis too. I'm sure if there was a redraft of RBs, they'd have went a lot higher than guys who might've gone in the early rounds but didn't possess a candle to the kinds of careers they put together. Talent is talent is talent. Where Foster went makes no difference to me... except financially. The point is the cost of seeing IF Rainey can't be the next in line UDFA back to make an impact when you have a horrid backfield... is not much of a cost at all especially BECAUSE of his lack of his UDFA status.

And in terms of talent, Rainey is an explosive athlete and a very good receiver out of the backfield. He was a two time offensive player of the year for his conference in college. That's talent. His size and small school is what likely kept him off of the radar, but now that he's on it, I'm not going to act like because he wasn't drafted that he doesn't have the talent to be AT LEAST a competent starter somewhere in this league. His agility drills at the combine were just a hair below Rice's, he displayed great explosive numbers, and good strength. The preseason displayed his balance and RB vision. Rainey is a talent.

In terms of Rice going down. We probably see less production out of the RB unit- for sure. But we're much more capable to handle a Rice injury than any point since we drafted him... including when we also had McGahee. Pierce, like I said at draft time, is talented... he's only going to get better. And Rainey is a poor man's Ray Rice. I see the talent and skill set for him to really fit into today's NFL and become a top 15 back at some point. At an UDFA salary for a few seasons, you'd be hard-pressed to find such a great deal elsewhere.


Diamond Terrell Davis was actually a 6th round pick but a low pick nonetheless, I agree with all of your points.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group