Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 2: "The Return to Pittsburgh" Jets @ Steelers
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Week 2: "The Return to Pittsburgh" Jets @ Steelers Reply with quote

@

The New York Jets
(1-0)
at The Pittsburgh Steelers(0-1)

Game Information
Day: Sunday
Time: 4:25 ET
Where: Heinz Field
TV: CBS

Standings
AFC East
New York Jets 1-0(1-0)
New England Patriots 1-0(0-0)
Miami Dolphins 0-1(0-0)
Buffalo Bills 0-1(0-1)

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens 1-0(1-0)
Pittsburgh Steelers 0-1(0-0)
Cleveland Browns 0-1(0-0)
Cincinnati Bengals 0-1(0-1)

Statistics

Steelers Offense / Jets Defense
19 PPG(22nd) / 28 PPG(22nd)
284 YPG(23rd) / 390 YPG(25th)
209 PYPG(23rd) / 195 PYPG(8th)
75 RYPG(24th) / 195 RYPG(32nd)

Jets Offense / Steelers Defense
48 PPG(1st) / 31 PPG(25th)
384 YPG(11th) / 334 YPG(15th)
266 PYPG(13th) / 240 PYPG(14th)
118 RYPG(12th) / 94 RYPG(16th)

Last edited by green24 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Heavinsent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be a tough game. If they somehow pull this off...wow. We'll be in great shape.

The d-line in particular is going to have to have a huge game. We all know how tough it is to get big Ben on the ground. They have to at least keep him in the pocket. Easier said than done obviously.

The offense definitely isn't going to have a repeat performance of what they did against the Bills. I think it will be a somewhat ugly game for the offense, whether we win or lose. Just gonna have to grind it out and take care of the ball.

Props to Jamison for the sig.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bad feeling about this one. Coming off a loss and at home, getting back clark and harrison, it could be a long day. OUr defense didnt look very impressive in that second half last week. We surrenderd a ton of rushing yards and got literally no pressure on fitzpatrick. The turnovers were nice but were not going to force 4 a week. This is the type of game Sanchez has struggled in in the past and I have a feeling were going to come back down to reality this week. Not trying to be negative at all, just the feeling I get.

NYJ 17
PIT 31

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we have Revis we can pull this out. Without Revis it's going to be a difficult game.

I wonder how their running game looks against us. We haven't been particularly stout against the run, but Issac Redman and co. looked pretty bad running the ball last week.

I think it should also be noted that Ben has had a partially torn rotator cuff since last season. This may help us in this game if Ben begins to struggle or takes a couple of hits.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too worried about their running game, they don't have a guy with the same caliber of speed as Spiller in the backfield.

We really need to get pressure on Ben, that's what killed us last time- in addition to his ability to make plays on the run.

CAN'T WAIT!
Davey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A completely different animal to the Bills, not just talking about talent level but tactically. It'll be a very different game.

Fitzpatrick loves to get the ball out quickly and prides himself on making quick decisions. He's hard to sack in that way because you'll rarely get to him when he still has the ball in his hands. In fact at times he'll make ill-advised throws before taking the sack. Roethlisberger, on the other hand, loves holding onto the ball and is one of the best play-extending quarterbacks in the league. Opportunities will be there to bring Roethlisberger down, and they got to be taken.

Dealing with the running game will be a lot different as well. Spiller gashed the Jets from spread formations while the Jets were defending in nickel and dime, it'll be much more traditional power running from the Steelers than what we saw this past Sunday. Having Pouha back would be a nice boost. It sounds like we'll see more of Dwyer who looked decent on limited carries Sunday night. The Jets should be able to contain Pittsburgh on the ground, but then again it was being unable to stop the running game which put the Jets into the major hole early on in the AFC Championship game. Certainly though, it won't be anything like Spiller's 164 yards.

Even if Harrison doesn't play, it's not going to be easy. The Bills had talented players on their defensive line, but they were expecting pressure rushing just four and didn't get it. The Steelers on the other hand will be much more mentally taxing on the offensive line with LeBeau and the zone blitz and it'll be a much bigger test. As for running the ball, it's never something to expect against Pittsburgh. I suspect we'll try to get a little more cute with Tebow this week and it won't be of any use.

Sanchez completely had his way with the Bills, but he's got to be smart first and foremost against Pittsburgh. Protect the ball and don't give up any cheap scores or opportunities. Holmes and Hill, they have to catch what is thrown to them. Plays can't be left on the field when you create them against a defense like Pitt. Both players had good games on Sunday but they need to show that consistency.

To really have a shot to win I think we'll need a big special teams or defensive play that can tilt the balance of the game in our favor, much like the regular season meeting in 2010 when Brad Smith returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. There's a chance for a win here, but it's going to require the team firing on all cylinders.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post davey.

Ben is a hell of a QB. But his Oline is beat up. They were falling apart against the Broncos. Our CB's match their WR's well on paper. I don't expect him to have it easy against us in the air. Bell and Landry are perfect for games like this. Their physical play is going to be Huge.

Having Pouha back will help alot with slowing down the run. Ellis will go back to being a rotational NT with fresh legs. Not saying we can shut their running game down, but I doubt any of their backs rush for 100yards on us.

I expect Sanchez to carry this game. With Harrison and Clark coming back, I expect our run game to be a no show unless the wildcat open things up. Greene avg. per carry was 3.5 against the Bills. Steelers are going to try to take away our run, and force us to pass. our WR core has to be ready for this one. With Harrison coming off Knee injury, the no huddle sounds like a great plan. We just have to watch out for Clark and Troy P. We need to Target Hill like we did last game, to keep the defense spread out and allow Holmes and Keller to get some work in the inside. I wouldn't mind seeing a screen pass or two to Powell. They will Blitz Woodley more this game than they did the last. Howard has to be ready.

This game is going to be very interesting, smash mouth
physical game. But Sanchez's confidence is on a high level right now. He's been through this game before. Regular season, and AFC champ game. Combing both of those games he has total of 403yards, 2td's, 0int's. He play smart when throwing through the air against them. Our Defense is going to be ready. Sanchez is better and smarter than ever. I got us winning the game.

JETS - 24
Steelers - 17

- Mark throws for 2tds, and Greene get a goalline TD rush.
- Landry, Bell, Maybin, Howard and Pouha are going to be very important in this one.
jetsmarine26

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be a much different game and game plan than the Bills, as Davey pointed out, and hopefully the Jets can carry the momentum into this week. I think an extremely underrated scouting report on the Steelers is that they did not respond well to the no-huddle with Peyton Manning, and that provides a nice blueprint for Sparano to push the tempo with the offense like he has preached. This may very well be a game won because of the acquisition of him, if the above rings true.

The Steelers are going to be hungry, and the player I'm most worried about returning is Ryan Clark. Him being back and playing deep third allows Polamalu to run free near the line and do the "freelancing" he is famous for. There won't be a cat-and-mouse game with him, like in the Broncos game, because he will have the ability to disguise his looks much more often.

On the defensive side of the ball, I do like the Jets D-line this week. Not meant to be a slight on the Steelers line, although they are beat up, but there should be a legitimate amount of pressure on Big Ben. I like Coples specifically, not because he's the best pass rusher, but his strong hands and tenaciousness will go a long way in sacking Big Ben or holding him up.

Not a prediction guy, but I think the offense is able to put some points on the board, and it will be up to the D to shut down Haley's offense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
Great post davey.

Ben is a hell of a QB. But his Oline is beat up. They were falling apart against the Broncos. Our CB's match their WR's well on paper. I don't expect him to have it easy against us in the air. Bell and Landry are perfect for games like this. Their physical play is going to be Huge.

Having Pouha back will help alot with slowing down the run. Ellis will go back to being a rotational NT with fresh legs. Not saying we can shut their running game down, but I doubt any of their backs rush for 100yards on us.

I expect Sanchez to carry this game. With Harrison and Clark coming back, I expect our run game to be a no show unless the wildcat open things up. Greene avg. per carry was 3.5 against the Bills. Steelers are going to try to take away our run, and force us to pass. our WR core has to be ready for this one. With Harrison coming off Knee injury, the no huddle sounds like a great plan. We just have to watch out for Clark and Troy P. We need to Target Hill like we did last game, to keep the defense spread out and allow Holmes and Keller to get some work in the inside. I wouldn't mind seeing a screen pass or two to Powell. They will Blitz Woodley more this game than they did the last. Howard has to be ready.

physical game. But Sanchez's confidence is on a high level right now. He's been through this game before. Regular season, and AFC champ game. Combing both of those games he has total of 403yards, 2td's, 0int's. He play smart when throwing through the air against them. Our Defense is going to be ready. Sanchez is better and smarter than ever. I got us winning the game.

JETS - 24
Steelers - 17

- Landry, Bell, Maybin, Howard and Pouha are going to be very important in this one.

Someone is a a little too high on our offense after one week. I would love it if you were right, but Sanchez has really struggled against top defenses in the past and until proven different im not too confident in this matchup. I wasnt surprised by the bills game just for the fact that we absolutely own them as down sanchez.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D line needs to take full advantage of their offensive line without bringing too many rushers.
Heet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to run A LOT of nickel on defense this week and have Maybin "shadow" Big Ben. Coach Ryan should stress to the D-Line not to rush past where Big Ben is. When the DEs rush past where he is it opens up HUGE running lanes. Look for the DEs to use more "bull rushing" techniques.

I'd also like to see some delayed blitzing in this game. Let the lanes develop then cram a linebacker in one. It gives the illusion of a running lane for Ben but the linebacker reads where the hole is an blitzes there.

Shonn Greene has got to have at least 20 carries. We are 10-1 when Shonn Greene has 20 or more carries.

Sanchez can not fumble the ball or turn it over like Vick did last week against the browns. We can afford 2 turnover this week at the most.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Props Jamison.
Quinton Coples
1 TKL
Melvin Ingram
1 TKL, 1 FF
Rich51

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Mendenhall going to play? If he does the Jets will have to contend with him and Ben and that will make for a completely different game.

Without Mendenhall we should be able to keep pressure on Ben all game.

If our O line holds up I see Holmes having a big game.

I also predict that Tebow will throw a pass (hopefully only one).
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
Great post davey.

JETS - 24
Steelers - 17

Someone is a a little too high on our offense after one week. I would love it if you were right, but Sanchez has really struggled against top defenses in the past and until proven different im not too confident in this matchup. I wasnt surprised by the bills game just for the fact that we absolutely own them as down sanchez.

Honestly, I think this can happen. Like I said, the last two times Sanchez played in pitt, he played smart with a predictable offense. Now that we switch things up, and hes better than ever, he know what he has to do. The steelers have a lot of injuries. Even Harrison won't be 100% if he play. I'm not expecting another Bills performance, the last TD will come in the 4th QT.

EDIT:

Its either that score or us winning 17-10. lol
perikirest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanchez gamelogs vs Pittsburg both came in 2010-2011 season.

19/29 65% 170 yds 0/0 with a rushing TD
20/33 61% 233 yds 2/0

So really he has had some success before. And both games were in Pitt.

AAJ Mark Sanchez
1 Torn Labrum
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our offense is going to be key in this game. If Mark can't get down the field, we'll for sure lose this game. Running the ball is going to be pretty much useless. Keller could have a big day imo.

If they can't run the ball, we definitely have a good chance for the win. I don't trust Roethlisberger to consistently complete passes against our pass defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: