Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 1: Carolina Panthers (0-0) @ Tampa Bay Bucs (0-0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carolina_Champ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Watching this game was beyond painful. I'm all for utilizing Cam's talents, but they need to just line up and run the ball. Too much out of the shotgun, all around the edge. No push up front meant defenders could just swarm to the ball. And those two picks by Cam were pretty brutal. Olsen is a stud. Linebackers are good. DLine is meh. Captain looked good in the slot, which was nice. Norman actually looked ok outside, so hopefully he continues to develop.

Couldn't agree more. Everything doesn't have to be extravagant. Just pound the ball straight forward.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/11/panthers-buccaneers-week-1/

Quote:
At times it looked like Carolina had determined that with Cam Newton (+0.1) at the helm they could immediately morph into the Al Davis’ Raiders. Passing deep (20+ yards) on 24% of throws was more, on average, than any QB attempted last year, and certainly not very successful. Throwing mostly post and go routes against the Buccaneer cornerbacks, Newton eschewed the vulnerable short middle of the field where rookies Lavonte David and Mark Barron were suffering growing pains; for example on the second offensive play of the game when Barron completely lost Greg Olsen.

Newton threw some excellent balls (like the beauty to Brandon LaFell with 13:21 gone in the fourth) and had lots of help from the mercurial Steve Smith (+3.4) but it was too little, too late, and if he’s to be consistently successful he’ll need help from his coaches in developing a better gameplan than this one.

Like we've all been saying since the game, just with more statistical backing.

Doesn't seem intelligent to be constantly going for big plays when we're lacking our best receiving/blocking RB and our interior line isn't playing well.

I like and offense that can dictate but going deep every pass isn't exactly how you pull that off. Got to get back to taking advantages of mismatches and working in the run.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

How is that play on Cam? It was a designed speed option. It was not a pass.

We're reaching here. Offensive line whiffed completely. Unless Cam is supposed to know that with eyes in the back of his head and then just throw a lob pass out there without his feet set (which either the LB is going to obliterate him before he has a chance or jump up and who knows from there...) but then the corner on the play will probably just come down and look to make a break on the rainbow pass, then I'm not sure what else to expect. This is even assuming ANY QB would be able to think so fast to make a throw on a designed run play.

We might be able to criticize him for not checking out of the play. But the play itself certainly wasn't his fault.

Maybe I'm looking too much into his development or his chemistry with Smith, but I've seen Newton call out blitzes and change the blocking scheme based off what he saw before that amazed me. They didn't even hide that they were bringing the house Cam should have seen that coming from a mile away( of course I couldn't watch the game so I'm just basing what I see off of this one play). That bubble to Smitty would have been a big play especially with Lafell leading the way, apparently our best blocker on the team, the mentality of a QB goes hand in hand with the talent, you gotta make that read. Dont' get me wrong no one on the line of scrimmage did their job in any way, shape, or form, But I'm sure Chud was harping on that and much more in the film room today.

I'm still pretty optimistic though, allot of aberrations happen in week 1.

That's fair. Like I said, blaming him for not audibling out of it is right. But there is nothing he could do after the ball was snapped.

Although he probably would have needed to go back into shotgun since the backer was coming full steam. TB probably would have gotten out of their blitz package then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24

Jump to: