Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DRAFT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: DRAFT Reply with quote

SO far...
1 (22). Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
2 (53). Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma

Even though ive been arguing against a 1st round receiver, I respect Clayton in the 1st if the FO thinks its a good move. Also, Cody is a steal at 53. The BPA strategy is amazing. We dont worry about needs, we go after the best potential we can find. This may be the best value of our draft. Some had him projected as a top 15 or top 20 pick.

In the third lots of corners may be available. Brandon Browner, Eric Green, and Justin Miller are all on the board. Any of these would be great IMO.
mic79e

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus,
Adam Terry, OT Syracuse (64) via a trade up into the bottom of the second round!

I'd also said many times that I wouldn't like to see a receiver taken in the first round (unless it was a trade up for Mike Williams.. and he did fall.. oh well). But you said it perfectly sp6488, and I'm not about to start second guessing the front office's pick either, especially when guys like Derrick Johnson, David Pollack, Erasmus James, Alex Barron and Marcus Spears had all gone off the board.

I also agree that Dan Cody was excellent value at 53. He's a good fit, and in a few years he could play a similar role to the one that Michael McCrary did.
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the rest of us i wasnt 100% supporting a first round WR, however i think that with the guys that had gone off the board, Clayton was the BPA and would satisfy a major need at the same time. I also feel that Cody was a steal in the 2nd, i was hoping for Roth, but Cody is just fine with me. I like the trade up for Terry although i think 2 3rds and a 6th may have been a little too much, however i really like Terry and Ozzie must to to trade up for him, so he must be worth it.
mic79e

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 3rds and a 6th!!!

Is that what they gave up? That's too much. I hope he can play LT eventually because there was no urgency to trade up for a RT with the depth in this draft. He better be worth it.
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this http://www.baltimoreravens.com/template.php?subsection=single_news_show&section=press&content_id=6121

He is expected to compete with Zeus for the RT spot.

Quote:
Terry played left tackle with the Orange, but the Ravens will allow him to compete with Orlando Brown for the starting right tackle job in Baltimore.
mic79e

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this draft, which is so deep in talent, it's just unnecessary to trade up for a RT, when there are so many good options later on.

Now if they wanted Terry because they see him as Jonathan Ogden's eventual replacement at LT, then that's a different story. But if they strictly consider him a RT only, then I don't think this move was worth the price, in the context of things.
VIKES 4 LIFE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mic79e wrote:
2 3rds and a 6th!!!

Is that what they gave up? That's too much. I hope he can play LT eventually because there was no urgency to trade up for a RT with the depth in this draft. He better be worth it.

The trade comes out quite close in the value charts so I don't think we overpaid, besides we will probably be getting that pick in the 3rd round back in compensation picks with the amount of free agent starters we lost this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Adam Terry Pick and Trade Reply with quote

First of all Adam Terry played left tackle in college and I believe is seen as the replacement/ heir apparent to Ogden.

Second, in talking about what the Ravens had to give up, a precedent was set by the Carolina - Seattle trade. Seattle moved up 9 spots in the second round and gave Carolina it's 2nd rounder and two 4th round picks this year. I felt like this trade lost the Ravens any position to bargin.

So far I am very happy with the draft and I look for the Ravens to take a CB, S, and DT in the upcoming four rounds. If Elton Brown gets to us in the 4th I wouldn't be surprised if we took him. (Does anyone know why he fell? He was a 1st round prospect)

thanks to TitanFan1990 for the sig.
mic79e

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elton Brown had issues at the combine/workouts and that dropped his stock, but I still thought he'd be a 3rd round pick.

mcdni wrote:
The trade comes out quite close in the value charts so I don't think we overpaid

I know that it corresponds with the value chart. What I'm saying is that if he's only seen as a RT then we just didn't need to move up to get one. There were several other prospects that we could have taken later on (Chris Colmer or Ray Willis with the 3rd -84-), and kept the other picks to use later on. That sixth round pick could have turned into Brandon Browner!!

But look, if they wanted a LT, and think he can move across in a few years to succeed Odgen then I guess it makes more sense.

I'm not saying we overpaid, I just don't think it was a smart move unless we've found our future LT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: