Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Right 53(4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10925
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I don't want to be negative, but I feel like some people are just assuming we're going to turn it right around and start dominating even good teams like New Orleans and Baltimore. I hope it's true, but I'm not about to assume our schedule is a cake walk.

I'm not trying to call anyone out, but those who had been saying they weren't worried about injuries, or our depth, or there were no issues outside maybe QB should have had a wake up call yesterday.

While I totally see the upside with this time, and have a lot of faith in this team, it's blind faith at that. We had multiple issues yesterday, and even if we had Flowers, Hali, and Lewis back, I'm not sure the end result of a L on the record is any different.

Yes, if those guys were in there, it's a much different game, aside from Hali, those guys have a history of injuries, even if they play through them.

I'm just saying, we need to understand that this is a bigger issue then I think anyone, myself included, realized at least before pre-season, and certainly should realize after yesterday.
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 4784
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
I think Pioli SHOULD cut a defensive player. Im not saying that because I think it is the right move, (I would like to see Eachus or J'OC cut) but I think it is a good time to send a message to his defense to step up or you will be replaced. Enter Tamba and take out a guy like Hartman or whomever. Send the message early Pioli!!



??? How is cutting a bottom of the barrel defensive player going to send a message...cutting Tamba would send a message, but it would not end up benefiting anyone. Gotta be Eachus, he's useless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 4784
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
I don't want to be negative, but I feel like some people are just assuming we're going to turn it right around and start dominating even good teams like New Orleans and Baltimore. I hope it's true, but I'm not about to assume our schedule is a cake walk.

I'm not trying to call anyone out, but those who had been saying they weren't worried about injuries, or our depth, or there were no issues outside maybe QB should have had a wake up call yesterday.

While I totally see the upside with this time, and have a lot of faith in this team, it's blind faith at that. We had multiple issues yesterday, and even if we had Flowers, Hali, and Lewis back, I'm not sure the end result of a L on the record is any different.

Yes, if those guys were in there, it's a much different game, aside from Hali, those guys have a history of injuries, even if they play through them.

I'm just saying, we need to understand that this is a bigger issue then I think anyone, myself included, realized at least before pre-season, and certainly should realize after yesterday.


Personally, I thought we could get by until we learned that Flowers was out and Reeves would play. No need to overreact about our entire depth situation just because of one guy.

I expected Flowers to play and was hoping that we could hold them to around 20, give or take...great offense and we still had other guys out. When I learned Reeves was playing I completely prepared myself for upper 30's or 40's which is what happened.

Yeah right now, we are terribly awful at CB depth and I don't know that anyone thought otherwise before this week with Reeves likely getting playing time. Every other spot on D is sufficient, but you can't play Jock Reeves at CB and combine that with a whole other slew of missing guys and expect to not give up a ton of points to that team.

Pioli screwed up on CB depth and it was exposed because of some bad luck all over the defense. Other than that we're really not hurting, it's just not plausible to overcome that many injuries when one of them has Reeves starting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10925
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Pioli screwed up on CB depth and it was exposed because of some bad luck all over the defense. Other than that we're really not hurting, it's just not plausible to overcome that many injuries when one of them has Reeves starting.

Systemic problem - see Safety and QB last year.

How is it we continually screw up depth to the point of getting plum blown out? Good lord, if DJ goes down we're totally bent over.

We don't need 1st rounders at depth positions, but we also shouldn't be using door to door vacuum salesmen either.
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6675
Location: SC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Pioli screwed up on CB depth and it was exposed because of some bad luck all over the defense. Other than that we're really not hurting, it's just not plausible to overcome that many injuries when one of them has Reeves starting.

Systemic problem - see Safety and QB last year.

How is it we continually screw up depth to the point of getting plum blown out? Good lord, if DJ goes down we're totally bent over.

We don't need 1st rounders at depth positions, but we also shouldn't be using door to door vacuum salesmen either.


+1
_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6675
Location: SC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:
I don't want to be negative, but I feel like some people are just assuming we're going to turn it right around and start dominating even good teams like New Orleans and Baltimore. I hope it's true, but I'm not about to assume our schedule is a cake walk.

I'm not trying to call anyone out, but those who had been saying they weren't worried about injuries, or our depth, or there were no issues outside maybe QB should have had a wake up call yesterday.

While I totally see the upside with this time, and have a lot of faith in this team, it's blind faith at that. We had multiple issues yesterday, and even if we had Flowers, Hali, and Lewis back, I'm not sure the end result of a L on the record is any different.

Yes, if those guys were in there, it's a much different game, aside from Hali, those guys have a history of injuries, even if they play through them.

I'm just saying, we need to understand that this is a bigger issue then I think anyone, myself included, realized at least before pre-season, and certainly should realize after yesterday.


Personally, I thought we could get by until we learned that Flowers was out and Reeves would play. No need to overreact about our entire depth situation just because of one guy.

I expected Flowers to play and was hoping that we could hold them to around 20, give or take...great offense and we still had other guys out. When I learned Reeves was playing I completely prepared myself for upper 30's or 40's which is what happened.

Yeah right now, we are terribly awful at CB depth and I don't know that anyone thought otherwise before this week with Reeves likely getting playing time. Every other spot on D is sufficient, but you can't play Jock Reeves at CB and combine that with a whole other slew of missing guys and expect to not give up a ton of points to that team.

Pioli screwed up on CB depth and it was exposed because of some bad luck all over the defense. Other than that we're really not hurting, it's just not plausible to overcome that many injuries when one of them has Reeves starting.


And that right there IMO shows the failure in this instance of Pioli AND the coaching staff that he has in place. #1, he creates the roster and #2, the coaching staff must be able to gameplan BEFORE the game to minimize the impact of a player like Reeves being exposed to the extent he was and if necessary DURING the game to make adjustments to counter the offense (and defense as well).

I don't want to continue to dump on Pioli and I have intentionally kept my mouth shut to avoid being viewed as a negative voice, but it does all come back to Pioli. All of the changes, non-changes, and more importantly the apparent same reaction to adversity that we have shown the past couple of years.

Edit : What also pissed me off was hearing the comments by the announcers and reporters on how emotional Tony Gonzalez was in making his return to Kansas City - and how much of an impact his time as a Chief made on his life. They mentioned he came to the stadium early so he could see the stadium workers and team personnel from his days here. And I remember the video of him shaking hands and hugging people in the hallway as he walked into the lockerroom.

And to think that Scott Pioli came into town and basically disrespected Gonzalez and shoved him out of the door all under the guise of "giving Tony a chance to compete" or whatever other BS line he gave as the reasoning.

It was obvious that Tony Gonzalez LOVED and more importantly STILL LOVES the city, his former teammates, and the fans despite getting kicked out the door by Pioli. The more I think about that the more pissed off I get at Pioli as this seems to fit right in line with how we have seen him to operate.
_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 4784
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Pioli screwed up on CB depth and it was exposed because of some bad luck all over the defense. Other than that we're really not hurting, it's just not plausible to overcome that many injuries when one of them has Reeves starting.

Systemic problem - see Safety and QB last year.

How is it we continually screw up depth to the point of getting plum blown out? Good lord, if DJ goes down we're totally bent over.

We don't need 1st rounders at depth positions, but we also shouldn't be using door to door vacuum salesmen either.


I know right...Like I said, it's bad luck, combined with a GM ignoring a few positions, and what hasn't been mentioned (and this really only explains last year)...we rely more on star players outside of QB to compete at a high level than most other teams. When you have a good QB, all other injuries become less significant....you can even have hope of keeping up if your defense is gutted. When you have Matt Cassel, losing other star players is all the more devastating.

That's also a good point about DJ, that's another one that Pioli has ignored. Siler is next up, but he's not even a poor man's DJ...he's like a thumper guy. We literally have nobody competent to play in DJ's spot. If it was just Tamba, we can atleast throw in a mix of Stud, Jones, and Sheffield...with Houston on the other side, while not ideal it's not trash barrel depth.

As it stands now, I think we can withstand any injury on either side except DJ and Flowers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DT58_lives_on


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 5806
Location: St. Cloud, MN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We don't need 1st rounders at depth positions, but we also shouldn't be using door to door vacuum salesmen either.


Agreed, and maybe we need to stop burning draft picks on gimmick/role players and start risking something on a quality player that drops a la Justin Houston more often.

Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, McCluster, Copper, Wylie, Hemmingway and whoever that other jibroni is on the practice squad at WR...I think we have WR covered. What I don't understand is we came out and said Dex is gonna be our slot guy, then drafted another slot guy in the 4th? Come on..we have 3 first round draft picks on our D-line and it is still utterly one dimensional...

Yet we have fillers all over our defensive back-field. An undrafted player starting (again, servicable) opposite of DJ and Siler as our only real depth in the middle, another guy who hasn't played in a year?

I won't discuss the QB situation, EVERYONE on here knows where I stand.

There are positives, but why is it that there is always multiple positions where we have crappy depth? Is it simply because Scotty thinks DBs don't matter? How did that work out for us last year?

Dammit Bigs you got me all worked up over this. Just as I was calming down.
_________________
[image]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/jesse_fritsch1/DEEFORD2_zpsef1ad50c.jpg[image]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 4784
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:
We don't need 1st rounders at depth positions, but we also shouldn't be using door to door vacuum salesmen either.


Agreed, and maybe we need to stop burning draft picks on gimmick/role players and start risking something on a quality player that drops a la Justin Houston more often.

Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, McCluster, Copper, Wylie, Hemmingway and whoever that other jibroni is on the practice squad at WR...I think we have WR covered. What I don't understand is we came out and said Dex is gonna be our slot guy, then drafted another slot guy in the 4th? Come on..we have 3 first round draft picks on our D-line and it is still utterly one dimensional...

Yet we have fillers all over our defensive back-field. An undrafted player starting (again, servicable) opposite of DJ and Siler as our only real depth in the middle, another guy who hasn't played in a year?

I won't discuss the QB situation, EVERYONE on here knows where I stand.

There are positives, but why is it that there is always multiple positions where we have crappy depth? Is it simply because Scotty thinks DBs don't matter? How did that work out for us last year?

Dammit Bigs you got me all worked up over this. Just as I was calming down.


Hey where were you when I raged against the Wiley pick for that very reason a few months ago? Very Happy I really like Wiley, but that doesn't make it a smart pick...I was literally screaming for a CB with his pick or the Stephenson pick or at the very least the Menzie pick, who isn't an outside corner.

I guess that means Dex is "one of those guys" that Pioli plans to let go of and has acquired a possible replacement, just like Carr/Routte, Bowe/Baldwin, and Albert/Stephenson.

I think we're really starting to get on the same page AND we have DT's #58 in our name.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiefs_5627


Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 3118
Location: 'sconi
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post DT58. To me it shows lack of a true plan, we seem to be just plodding as we go.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group