Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This is why we didn't resign Mario
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really isn't that complicated. Mario's market value FAR outstripped his value to our team. We did NOT get our $40 million out of him in 6 years aside from jersey sales and some vague "intimidation" factor both based more on how he looked than how he played and there is no way in hell you are going to convince me that there is $100 million / $50 guaranteed worth of football in the guy. Going to the Bills should tell you everything you need to know about Mario as he is the absolute definition of a "paycheck player" who could really care less about the result on the field. Reed and Braman exhibited more fire last year than Mario did in 6 seasons, our crazy kicker and punter exhibited as much toughness, and JJ Watt and Antonio Smith showed what is possible when the motor keeps running.

Mario does his job reasonably well when healthy largely due to his physical gifts, but he has failed to elevate his game since 2007 despite the Texans throwing resource upon resource at the line including top free agents, top draft picks, and top coaches. Mario doesn't make those around him better as he plays on an pass rush island by himself and he hasn't made himself better as he leaves with the same singular move he came here with (outside bull rush). He never was able to figure out how to get to the QB consistently with an inside move so any LT worth his salt could just ride him out of the play, so you are left with a guy that will only help you beat the bad teams. For all the hype on Mario's ability to "dominate," I would challenge any Texan fan to name a dozen games he truly impacted (2 per season) and almost all of those games came against some substandard LT or team like the Redskins.

The best case scenario for Mario's next 5 years would be John Abraham-esque who sits with twice as many career sacks as Mario, but ask any Falcon fan how many of those have really amounted to much in terms of big victories (see also Patrick Kerney). Heck, Jason Babin has twice as many sacks as Mario the past 2 seasons and is getting 1/4 of Mario's salary. I actually see Mario's career arching much in the manner of Javon Kearse who provided the Eagles a bit of value in the first 2 years of his 8 year/$65 million deal, but "The Freak" had nothing to fall back on once the physical advantages deteriorated and his motor was set way higher than Mario's.

Clearly the Texans elevated their play WITHOUT Mario last year and you'll never convince me that beating the Colts and Steelers (pre-Max Starks return) terrible lines projects to a 16 sack season as he started out 2010 the same way and the simple fact is that Mario hasn't been able stay healthy into October better yet December or January. I still maintain that Mark Anderson played better than Mario when stepping in 2010 and his 2011 proves I wasn't crazy. I just wish we had traded Mario to a desperate Bills team and would be sitting with the #10 pick right now so we could stick Poe into our D-line or shore up RT for 5 years+ with Riley Reiff.

When you boil it all down, the Texans defense failed for 5 years with Mario as the epicenter of our strategy and became one of the top 5 defenses in the league without him and without even a full off season to implement a new system and new cast of characters. If you are going to pay a player $100/$50 million, that player SHOULD be the epicenter and thing around which all else revolves and the impact of them not being there should be palpable (Jared Allen, Suggs/Lewis, Troy Polamalu, Darelle Revis) and Mario was at best complimentary to the core at this point (I maintain any pass rush advantage would be almost completely mitigated by his deficiencies in run defense and short pass coverage - see Saints & Dolphins games). Market value means nothing on the football field and Texan fans need look no further than the stupid dollars the Falcons threw at Dunta Robinson (6 years / $57 million) vs. what we got out of lower profile Johnathan Joseph (5 years / $48 million). I applaud Rick Smith, Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak and the Texans for trusting that Texans fans understand the difference between having high profile "stars" and a team built to win for the next 5 years.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
norg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the world will end in 10 months anywayz so why waste the money on future stuff LOL Razz
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it for what its worth: someone on twitter sent this to mario..

Quote:
I thought players are getting paid so much they should show loyalty, recent moves makes me think differently

mario:
Quote:
they didn't offer

Quote:
upset you didn't sign for less out of loyalty to texans but then you see @ericwinston get released and @DRyans59 traded. #respect

mario:
Quote:
once again how can u sign something when there isnt an offer can anyone read. Ask the GM lol

Quote:
I got mad respect for you, you earned every penny. Texans fan r trippin right now the whole team we grew up with is almost gone.

mario:
Quote:
does that say something about the GM?

ARE you kidding? We didn't even give him an offer? Even if its for 1 dollar, you have to attempt to get him back.

https://twitter.com/#!/bbwolf90

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
ARE you kidding? We didn't even give him an offer? Even if its for 1 dollar, you have to attempt to get him back.

Let's not pretend like there was simply "no offer made", like the Texans just forgot. Mario's agent came to them with a number. He had an offer in hand from another team. The Texans FO decided not to offer up whatever the number was that keeps him in Houston, hence no offer. It's not like they just missed the voicemail from the agent.

Yes please!
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans02 wrote:
bunnyracin wrote:

Let's not pretend like there was simply "no offer made", like the Texans just forgot. Mario's agent came to them with a number. He had an offer in hand from another team. The Texans FO decided not to offer up whatever the number was that keeps him in Houston, hence no offer. It's not like they just missed the voicemail from the agent.

Remember the last guy who tried to throw Rick Smith under the bus? Was Dunta really "disrespected" or was he simply not worth what he was asking. Rick Smith did his job well, Dunta didn't.

Honestly, Mario's legacy thus far is more reflective of his agent's skill in getting him paid exorbitant salaries TWICE based upon "potential" not performance. Instead of flaming his boss on the way out of town, he should be embarrassed that he fleeced the Texans for $18 million last year to play 5 games on the heels of his dismal performance in 2010 and $40 million to "lead" a defense that cost us at least 2 playoff births. $100 million for Mario vs. $4.7 for Brooks Reed. I won't reengage the Mario vs. Reed debate in terms of play but there should be zero debate that there is not a $95 million disparity in what they bring to the table or what that $95 million buys us in terms of a well rounded team.

Hooray Mario, your agent was smart enough to go to the same suckers that thought it was wise to spend $62 million locking up Ryan Fitzpatrick after a fast start only to flop to a 1-8 finish when it was on him to get it done, not Fred Jackson who cost them all of $7.5 million for 4 years. Another former AFC South d-lineman parlayed 2 far more dominant seasons than you ever had into the "richest defensive contract ever" while playing the "disprespect" card and all that bought his team was to take a pretty deep hole and add 4 more years to any ability to climb out of it. Frankly, I would lay bigger odds on Mario's contract being what finally drives the Bills into financial insolvency and into LA's arms vs. breaking their playoff drought any time soon. I'll also go on record for Mark Anderson, Connor Barwin, and even Brooks Reed having more sacks in 2012 than Mario and 40% more tackles since RBs & WRs are also on their radar screens.

PS - Why don't you tweet all those other offers teams were throwing at you when you desperately were trying to leverage the Buffalo offer into a place where you won't be buried for the next 5 years with another fundamentally flawed defensive plan. Oh yes, you sat in your Hampton Inn in Buffalo watching a phone that never rang for so much as a visit, better yet an offer.

BTW - Your brilliant new GM just spent $186 million on a dline that it will take OC's 15 minutes to completely neutralize by drawing up outside run after outside run since RBs are invisible to both of your DE's and your OLBs are laughable. Welcome BACK to the Texans circa 08-10 with Drayton Florence, Leodis McElvin, and Aaron Williams providing 5 yard cushions for easy outlets for QBs in trouble and an "in the box" safety in George Wilson who is a screaming mismatch for any marginally athletic TE.

Good Riddance - throw some of that money on the fire to keep you warm in Buffalo while watching the Texans in the playoffs this January.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So folks, hate to gloat or call this fiat accompli after one week, but had to love the Bills getting completely throttled by the anemic Jets offense this week. Our boy Mario lined up across from UDFA nobody Austin Howard in his first start at RT and didn't sniff Dirty Sanchez all day, racked up 1 whole tackle, and spent the entire post-game crying about replacement refs. The Jets were so confident that their UDFA could handle Mario, they rarely even doubled him and even had my Baylor bust Jason Smith handling him on some plays. I can't wait to fast forward this a few years like we now see with the Dunta deal and just laugh at the people that were slinging arrows about how we could let such a stud/beast get away. I just wish it was a team like Balt or NYJets that had screwed their cap for 5 years in getting him, but isn't it always the Raiders and Browns of the world that do this to themselves.

y*so*blu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the subject of this thread was going to be Williams' whining about the refs after the Jets humiliated his new team.

I would have taken that reason as well. Confused Like you guys said, he's not the greatest team player out there.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y*so*blu wrote:
I thought the subject of this thread was going to be Williams' whining about the refs after the Jets humiliated his new team.

I would have taken that reason as well. Confused Like you guys said, he's not the greatest team player out there.

Its not about being a team player, because he is really a nice guy, BUT as a football player he has no dominant instincts.....hes soft simple as that
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
y*so*blu wrote:

Its not about being a team player, because he is really a nice guy, BUT as a football player he has no dominant instincts.....hes soft simple as that

And yet you still have him as your Avatar pic. Confused
DieHardTexan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
y*so*blu wrote:

His avatar pic is Arian Foster. Wink
DieHardTexan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
y*so*blu wrote:

Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DieHardTexan wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
y*so*blu wrote:

No it's not. I've seen the full size picture and it's a photoshop that someone made of Mario.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
DieHardTexan wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
y*so*blu wrote:

No it's not. I've seen the full size picture and it's a photoshop that someone made of Mario.

You can tell from the small photo it's Mario.

And I'm using my Android phone.

jargin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Smith's philosophy has been near perfect. No GM is perfect. Rick Smith has recognized paycheck players like Mario and Dunta, even though both of them are extremely talented athletes and 1st round draft picks. I supported keeping Mario but that was before we drafted Mercilus, extended Schaub and saw the offer Buffalo was willing to make. I mean, anyone can recognize a ridiculous contract like 100 million dollars.

The thing I see now with Wade Phillips coaching the defense and Kubiak leading the team is they are creating a culture of winning. They have created a culture where defense and special teams are so important that they have invested millions on D and they sit the entire team down to watch every special teams play from the previous game. They recognize the important aspects of the game and now they have such a talented team that even when things are looking down, like they were towards the middle of the 1st quarter on Sunday, they have the ability to turn things around and get it moving in the right direction. With Kubiak's arsenal of weapons he has collected, Schaub can just have a field day out there taking whatever the defense will give him. When was the last time you saw the Texans score 24 points in a single quarter of football?

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
y*so*blu wrote:

Im lazy and have not found a new avatar that I like, I want a funny one, not just another plain one.....besides it portrays Mario as a nerdy soft whimpy guy just like he plays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: