Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign QB Matt Schaub to 4-year, $62M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
And when you are the Texans, you have to pay a little more.

...this comment I don't get, because it isn't as if we were the ones giving Peyton Manning a blank check, only to have him say "no thanks" to that. If fact, we sign RBs for under market value, as well as elite LTs. When we are pressed to pay big money, we actually don't.

However, paying 5/$35MM for an underachieving DE/OLB tweener - yeah, very fiscally sound strategy there.

Not sure if you watched Peyton or not, but he took a team that squeaked their way into the playoffs last year, and made them look like a legitimate Super Bowl contender. That, and his history with the state made it understandable for that situation. That being said, I despise the fact that it made us miss out on possibly signing a center, so it is what it is.

As for the Wimbley signing, I will gladly have my team pay $7 million per year for a pass rusher who averages 16 sacks a season. Don't know about you, but I would call that a bargain.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

...this comment I don't get, because it isn't as if we were the ones giving Peyton Manning a blank check, only to have him say "no thanks" to that. If fact, we sign RBs for under market value, as well as elite LTs. When we are pressed to pay big money, we actually don't.

However, paying 5/$35MM for an underachieving DE/OLB tweener - yeah, very fiscally sound strategy there.

Not sure if you watched Peyton or not, but he took a team that squeaked their way into the playoffs last year, and made them look like a legitimate Super Bowl contender. That, and his history with the state made it understandable for that situation. That being said, I despise the fact that it made us miss out on possibly signing a center, so it is what it is.

I'm just commenting on your initial statement of "paying a little more" which isn't the case for the Texans, and flashing a light on the tendencies of YOUR front office instead.

Quote:
As for the Wimbley signing, I will gladly have my team pay $7 million per year for a pass rusher who averages 16 sacks a season. Don't know about you, but I would call that a bargain.

...call me the minute he averages 16 sacks a season. Heck, call me when he can get double digit sacks again; You have to go back to 2006 to see him get in double digits; Since then, the guy has been the definition of sub par.

(BTW - In what world does 42.5 sacks in six seasons equal out to 16 sacks a season?)

But hey - call it a bargain if you'd like. Check the numbers again, but...call it a bargain.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Probably a good starting point for Romo but seems low on guaranteed

That's the beauty part of it all. If Schaub does get hurt, we have an out. If he plays up to his potential (which is a boarderline top 5-10 QB) the $62MM over four years will seem like a bargain.

Rick Smith has been putting in WORK over the last two seasons. This deal, the masterful deal for Duane Brown, Arian Foster's cap friendly deal, bringing in Jonathan Joseph and Danieal Manning, drafting JJ Watt...every move has hit in spades, and he's gearing this team up for a long stay at the top of the AFC South.

Then it appears to be a solid deal for the Texans in terms of the guaranteed money, because history has shown he hasn't been able to stay healthy for the long run.

Incorrect, as he has two seasons where he's taken every meaningful snap for the Texans. Either you don't watch football (which is completely plausible, given some of your comments in regards to the sport as a whole) or you need to re-evaluate your definition of "the long run".

I'm here to help for both.

Quote:
I certainly hope he does, it would make for some interesting AFC South games.

Actually, he makes the division as a whole boring. I mean, with him, we're beating teams 41-7 in their own house. Without him, teams have a chance.

Yes, you are correct. Two seasons he's taken every meaningful snap.

He's been a starter for you guys for 5 years. Of those 5 years, he's been healthy 2 years. The other 3 years, he's played 11, 11, and 10 games.

That's why I said history has shown. 40% of the seasons he starts, he stays healthy in. If I'm not mistaken, that's less than half the time. This could certainly change if he stays healthy the next few seasons, but as of now, I'd say that the numbers back up my statement fully.

Depending on how you choose to look at it. You take such a 10,000 foot view on it - but when you dive into the numbers, you'll see that out of 82 possible starts (including playoffs) Matt has started 78% of those games (64 total starts). Nobody is trying to say that he's up to set an ironman record anytime soon, but folks on the other side of the coin - saying he can't last in the long run - aren't exactly spilling the truth, either.

Quote:
Considering that in the 5 years he's been your starter, your team has had a winning record in 2 of those years, and won the division once, I'd argue once again that the division is much closer than you'd like to make it seem.

Considering that our 10-6 record came with Matt Leinart and TJ Yates starting games, and considering that one of the games we "lost" was a week 17 blowoff game (and even THAT game was a one point loss) I'd say that the Texans have more than shown how far the division is from everyone else.

Pimp out that 9-7 record under a new HC last season. Remember who gave that to you. A thank you card would suffice.

Quote:
I'm all for competitive games, and I hope that he stays healthy. I believe this upcoming decade will have the AFC South dominated by the Texans and Titans, and the history between the franchises should make it that must more entertaining.

All and all, I do expect a good run from both the Titans and Jags this season, as early indications show Blaine Gabbert as a semi-competent QB. Once Andrew Luck gets his feet under him, it gets even crazier. This division might of not been decided at any point, but it's crystal clear who is at the top of the mountain...

...for now, at least.

nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans fans in this thread

Titans fans in this thread

Not only is there clear trolling, but it's not even good trolling. You guys are better than that.

lol at average at best
lol at "probably" top 15

#JDI
Texans02

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Not only is there clear trolling, but it's not even good trolling. You guys are better than that.

The truth is spoken.

Yes please!
jargin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we extended Schaub. Great player.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good signing. He's a great QB and you don't let those guys hit the market. Better to get it signed now. He was probably facing the Franchise Tag if he didn't get resigned and I'm sure all sides are happy that he's a Texan. I think they'll have some tough decisions to make in terms of salary cap in the future but it's better to have a QB than to have none. Schaub can win a SuperBowl (imo) but he's got to prove that the injuries aren't indicative of a trend but rather just streaks of bad luck.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol the Titans fans in this thread trolololololin hard; good signing, like Schaub a lot, if he stays up, they go far.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

I'm just commenting on your initial statement of "paying a little more" which isn't the case for the Texans, and flashing a light on the tendencies of YOUR front office instead.

Quote:

...call me the minute he averages 16 sacks a season. Heck, call me when he can get double digit sacks again; You have to go back to 2006 to see him get in double digits; Since then, the guy has been the definition of sub par.

(BTW - In what world does 42.5 sacks in six seasons equal out to 16 sacks a season?)

But hey - call it a bargain if you'd like. Check the numbers again, but...call it a bargain.

You stated we signed him for 5 years / $35 million dollars.

Thus far, he's played one game, and has recorded a sack.

Over the course of the season, it will lead to a 16 sack season.

Thus, we're paying him $7 million per season for 16 sacks per season. Quite a bargain.

But this is not the topic to discuss Wimbley, so we shall put this to rest.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ By that logic, looks like Clay Matthews will have 40 sacks. Laughing
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

JJ Watt will have 32. Andre Johnson will have over 1,800 yards receiving. And Chris Johnson will have...64 yards rushing. Now, THAT sounds about right (bit on the high end) but I'll have to call folly on the rest, even though Watt and AJ are boss.

Very Happy

sayheykid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

And Deangelo Williams finishes the year with -16 rushing yards.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

JJ Watt will have 32. Andre Johnson will have over 1,800 yards receiving. And Chris Johnson will have...64 yards rushing. Now, THAT sounds about right (bit on the high end) but I'll have to call folly on the rest, even though Watt and AJ are boss.

Very Happy

Don't forget that Kurt Coleman and DRC will rack up 64 INTs together for the Eagles defense.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
Grachuus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Very Happy

CJ0K said he was going to lead the league in rushing. He's only got like 200 games to get that done!

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
You stated we signed him for 5 years / $35 million dollars.

Thus far, he's played one game, and has recorded a sack.

Over the course of the season, it will lead to a 16 sack season.

Thus, we're paying him $7 million per season for 16 sacks per season. Quite a bargain.

But this is not the topic to discuss Wimbley, so we shall put this to rest.

And he would still finish 16 sacks behind Geno Atkins who is getting paid $490K this season. Best value ever (Behind Jordy Nelson of course Laughing )...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: