Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 1 Texans vs. Miami GDT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Something that is worth pointing out regarding our rushing offense.

Miami was ranked 3rd last year against the run in both yards, ypa (3.7), and TDs. They are a top run defense, so in general they are tough to run against. Add in Foster being slightly hobbled by the knee, and this performance is neither surprising or underwhelming.

Our rush defense however letting Bush run like that up the middle is embarassing. That needs to be fixed.

Not to knit pick, but its actually an upper calf injury not a knee injury
Marco79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foster looked like he was on his way to a good game when he had 16 carries 65 yards and 2 TDs. I blame the playcalling for the rest of his 10 carries and 14 yards. They knew the run was coming and we refused to pass this always happens. I get not running up the score, but don't just let them stop the run. if they are loading up the box like they did when we were up by a lot. Do a play action, fake them out, I am positive it would have worked. Kubiak always seems to get ultra conservative when we get up and that's why we didn't see the best statistical game from Foster.
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
Foster looked like he was on his way to a good game when he had 16 carries 65 yards and 2 TDs. I blame the playcalling for the rest of his 10 carries and 14 yards. They knew the run was coming and we refused to pass this always happens. I get not running up the score, but don't just let them stop the run. if they are loading up the box like they did when we were up by a lot. Do a play action, fake them out, I am positive it would have worked. Kubiak always seems to get ultra conservative when we get up and that's why we didn't see the best statistical game from Foster.

Because he's not worried about the best statistical performance from Foster, he's worried about winning...

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the most of you guys, the run defense was pretty bad today. I didn't see the whole 1st quarter and the first 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter, but I following on my cell phone, and was seeing how Bush was running inside on us at will. We can't let that happen.

Offense was good today. I hope we can get Andre involved on more plays like the ones we did today. Andre one on one in the redzone is a matchup we have to exploit. I won't put too much about the run game. Miami's defense is pretty good and Ben Tate has an off game. Foster was pretty good to me even though run blocking could have been better.

I am not ready to give up on Holliday yet like some of you guys are gearing towards. One of the kickoff returns he should have knelled the ball in the endzone. He only had 1 punt return and that went for 14 yards, and his kickoff return average was 15 yards.

If it wasnt for our special teams giving up that TD we would have only given up 3 points. That's great considering the 3 points we gave up was in the 1st quarter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but I liked what Kubes did with the recievers. Every 4 plays or so he would take Dre out and get the young guys some reps, which resulted in an almost long TD by Jean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but I liked what Kubes did with the recievers. Every 4 plays or so he would take Dre out and get the young guys some reps, which resulted in an almost long TD by Jean

I get why he's doing it but I don't like this rotating stuff. We're treating our best player like a baby. There were a few 3rd downs where Andre wasn't in the game which is mind-boggling. You take out your best player on 3rd down because you wanna rotate him? When has as a team ever did that to their best wide receiver?
Marco79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

Because he's not worried about the best statistical performance from Foster, he's worried about winning...

I'm not saying Im worried about stats. What I am saying is that it will comeback and haunt us when we do this with good teams. I mean it also most came back to haunt us today. they had 2 drives stall on their own 10 yard line. We shouldn't just get a big lead and take our foot off the gas. I understand trying to run the clock out but when all we do is run it will get us in to trouble against good teams and it will give them a chance to make a comeback.
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreDay80 wrote:
bunnyracin wrote:

I get why he's doing it but I don't like this rotating stuff. We're treating our best player like a baby. There were a few 3rd downs where Andre wasn't in the game which is mind-boggling. You take out your best player on 3rd down because you wanna rotate him? When has as a team ever did that to their best wide receiver?

I see what you're saying but I don't think Kubiak will do this rotation the whole season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The run D could be better, but I think Bush has improved since his Saints days. And ultimately his runs didn't make much of a difference in the result. The Dolphins could have tried a flea flicker to their mascot and the Texans D wouldn't have blinked. They really had Miami's number out there, and it was nice after the close games we've had with them in the past.

Zooming out a little, Houston was the only AFC South team to come away with a win and they also made the best impression. Titans got the Gatorade beat out of them at home--by last year's AFC champs, but still embarrassing--the Colts blew a reasonably close game and let the Bears run wild, and my hometown team scratched and clawed their way to an OT win over the Jags. I'm liking this.
treece300e

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impressions of this game:

First observation is evident and already addressed plenty: run defense. We need to get bigger in the middle, or find a way to plug those holes better some other way. If teams can run the ball that much, our defense will get tired too quickly. It's key to the Texans that we win the TOP battle, and that starts with stopping the opposing run game, and having one of your own.

Glover Quin - I think he's very underrated. I seldom see him whiff on a tackle, and he plays the run quite well. Maybe playing center field and getting picks isn't his strong suit, but I'll take him covering TEs 1v1, playing the run in the box from time to time, and his sure tacking ability no questions asked. He's the antithesis of a player like Asante Samuel that has the ability to turn a game around by making a big play, or giving up a big play. Quin isn't that, but he's going to be very solid in many facets, and not make a lot of big mistakes.

Kareem Jackson - He looks a little faster this year, but he still struggles to get his head around. If he ever wants to make it to the next level in his development, that is an absolute necessity. Too often will he get called for PI if he doesn't find the ball. He will also struggle with the ever-popular back shoulder through that is terrorizing many corners anymore. You can have flawless coverage, but if you don't find the ball and make a play, QBs like Aaron Rodgers will throw a WR or TE open all day by going to the back shoulder. Overall, he is playing much better and doesn't drive me crazy. He is also a VERY sure tackler and was playing very physical today, as well as jumping routes and breaking up passes better. He's much improved, but still has the one major knock on him.

J.J. Watt - J.J. Watt The F**k is what I call him in my house because A.) I'm a sailor. B.) That's what the QB and right side of the line have to think to themselves numerous times every game. He is a classic example of someone who is very gifted with his size and athleticism, but also has an incredible work ethic, motor and intelligence. He was a major turning point in our defense today, and is easily the most dominant force on that side of the ball. If he plays half as well as he played today in the remaining games this season, and doesn't make it to the Pro Bowl, then it is proof that nobody voting watches games and only looks at Tackles and Sacks. I love the Ninja, J.Joe, Quin, Manning, Cush and Barwin, but nobody gets me as worked-up as JJWTF!

Schaub - I'm happy we signed him to an extension. You look around the NFL and see 6 Rookie QBs starting today with pretty miserable results. It is rare that a QB steps in and has a positive impact the first year, and I don't like the idea of resorting to that for this football team. Free Agency is an even bigger gamble because you're mostly getting backups whose stats from a few games have been extrapolated, but you don't have true indicators of how good/bad they'll be. I'm all for drafting a QB late in the 1st or 2nd round even to groom behind Schaub and/or Yates, but I don't like the idea of having to look for a QB as an immediate starter outside of this organization. Schaub played pretty well after the first quarter. He didn't make any major mistakes from what I could see. The Dolphins defense is pretty underrated. They have good CBs and a pretty good front 7. Schaub got the ball to the right people and made pretty accurate throws for most of the night. It's still discouraging to see us struggling in the Redzone, though.

Andre Johnson - I'll admit that I wasn't a fan of the Texans until about 2008 or 2009 when I had Steve Slaton, Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels on my fantasy team and started watching a lot of games. Because of that, I never saw early Andre and therefore thought he was A LITTLE overhyped. (Don't get me wrong, I still love the dude, first and only jersey that I own right now) He's not had a chance to shine the past few years due to injuries or shaky QB play, and that is disheartening. Today cemented all the positive things that were said about him. His routes are incredible, his body control and hands are second to none, and the way he attacks the ball and the defender after the catch is amazing. I never thought he was bad, but today I saw why he is still considered a Top 5 WR in the league.

The Rest: Trindon needs to step it up. He's on this team for one reason and he didn't prove today that he deserves a roster spot. Hopefully it gets better, or it doesn't take Smithiak long to realize that we have alternatives to KR and PR.

Keyshawn dropped a pass and wasn't on the field much. Preseason may have flaunted him a bit much, but I'm wondering how ready he truly is after barely getting on the field and making a difference today.

I like the fact that Kubiak is rotating receivers. I may not like WHEN, but I think if we're moving the ball, and aren't desperate for points (Read: Behind with a quarter to play) then we should be giving Andre a break and finding out exactly what some of these young guys can do. Babying Andre may not be our favorite thing to see because he's a major playmaker, limiting his snaps reduces his chance for injury and keeps him from wearing down as quickly. Hell, the way Jean looked today, I'd be okay with AJ getting a few more plays off when we're ahead and our Defense is dominating. AJ is unfortunately at the point where we may have to use him a bit more selectively due to his history of fragility.

We need to play less conservative when we have a lead. Our defense is proving to look better this year than last year, but offenses are too high powered anymore. Just like the Saints game, being up by 14 is quickly erased in this league, and we can't assume any lead is safe until we're up 28 with 4 minutes left and we have the ball.

We have to find ways to score TDs in the Redzone. Other teams do it better with worse personnel; it's all about play-calling. Bootlegs with drag and outs, rub routes, sticks, slants, fades, whatever! I'm not sure if another site has re-done the Redzone scoring formula, but I think it should be Total Points Possible / Total Points Scored, where each visit should be a possible 6 points, resulting in a FG counting as 50% instead of 100% as I believe it currently is. If it was reformulated, I believe the Texans would look far worse in this category.
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/09/texans-defensive-lineman-antonio-smith-rips-dolphins-offensive-lineman/
Quote:
“I told myself you’ve got to humble yourself and keep playing. There were so many times that I would have to loved to just be like hockey. Drop the helmets off, drop the gloves, go fisticuffs. We’re men. Lets’ go at it.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did not know where else to post this so,

Richie Incognito trying to break Antonio Smiths ankle just before the 1:25 mark

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012090903/2012/REG1/dolphins@texans#tab=recap&menu=highlights

What a POS, Smith should have broke his nose
jackbauer24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
did not know where else to post this so,

Richie Incognito trying to break Antonio Smiths ankle just before the 1:25 mark

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012090903/2012/REG1/dolphins@texans#tab=recap&menu=highlights

What a POS, Smith should have broke his nose

Richie Incognetio has always been a piece of work. Dirty player.
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After re-watching the game some negatives that might carry on for the season:

1 Bradie James was terrible at reading the run
2 Newton got beat by Wake on passing plays just about every play but Schaub got rid of the ball pretty quickly the whole game

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
My impressions of this game:

First observation is evident and already addressed plenty: run defense. We need to get bigger in the middle, or find a way to plug those holes better some other way. If teams can run the ball that much, our defense will get tired too quickly. It's key to the Texans that we win the TOP battle, and that starts with stopping the opposing run game, and having one of your own.

Glover Quin - I think he's very underrated. I seldom see him whiff on a tackle, and he plays the run quite well. Maybe playing center field and getting picks isn't his strong suit, but I'll take him covering TEs 1v1, playing the run in the box from time to time, and his sure tacking ability no questions asked. He's the antithesis of a player like Asante Samuel that has the ability to turn a game around by making a big play, or giving up a big play. Quin isn't that, but he's going to be very solid in many facets, and not make a lot of big mistakes.

Kareem Jackson - He looks a little faster this year, but he still struggles to get his head around. If he ever wants to make it to the next level in his development, that is an absolute necessity. Too often will he get called for PI if he doesn't find the ball. He will also struggle with the ever-popular back shoulder through that is terrorizing many corners anymore. You can have flawless coverage, but if you don't find the ball and make a play, QBs like Aaron Rodgers will throw a WR or TE open all day by going to the back shoulder. Overall, he is playing much better and doesn't drive me crazy. He is also a VERY sure tackler and was playing very physical today, as well as jumping routes and breaking up passes better. He's much improved, but still has the one major knock on him.

J.J. Watt - J.J. Watt The F**k is what I call him in my house because A.) I'm a sailor. B.) That's what the QB and right side of the line have to think to themselves numerous times every game. He is a classic example of someone who is very gifted with his size and athleticism, but also has an incredible work ethic, motor and intelligence. He was a major turning point in our defense today, and is easily the most dominant force on that side of the ball. If he plays half as well as he played today in the remaining games this season, and doesn't make it to the Pro Bowl, then it is proof that nobody voting watches games and only looks at Tackles and Sacks. I love the Ninja, J.Joe, Quin, Manning, Cush and Barwin, but nobody gets me as worked-up as JJWTF!

Schaub - I'm happy we signed him to an extension. You look around the NFL and see 6 Rookie QBs starting today with pretty miserable results. It is rare that a QB steps in and has a positive impact the first year, and I don't like the idea of resorting to that for this football team. Free Agency is an even bigger gamble because you're mostly getting backups whose stats from a few games have been extrapolated, but you don't have true indicators of how good/bad they'll be. I'm all for drafting a QB late in the 1st or 2nd round even to groom behind Schaub and/or Yates, but I don't like the idea of having to look for a QB as an immediate starter outside of this organization. Schaub played pretty well after the first quarter. He didn't make any major mistakes from what I could see. The Dolphins defense is pretty underrated. They have good CBs and a pretty good front 7. Schaub got the ball to the right people and made pretty accurate throws for most of the night. It's still discouraging to see us struggling in the Redzone, though.

Andre Johnson - I'll admit that I wasn't a fan of the Texans until about 2008 or 2009 when I had Steve Slaton, Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels on my fantasy team and started watching a lot of games. Because of that, I never saw early Andre and therefore thought he was A LITTLE overhyped. (Don't get me wrong, I still love the dude, first and only jersey that I own right now) He's not had a chance to shine the past few years due to injuries or shaky QB play, and that is disheartening. Today cemented all the positive things that were said about him. His routes are incredible, his body control and hands are second to none, and the way he attacks the ball and the defender after the catch is amazing. I never thought he was bad, but today I saw why he is still considered a Top 5 WR in the league.

The Rest: Trindon needs to step it up. He's on this team for one reason and he didn't prove today that he deserves a roster spot. Hopefully it gets better, or it doesn't take Smithiak long to realize that we have alternatives to KR and PR.

Keyshawn dropped a pass and wasn't on the field much. Preseason may have flaunted him a bit much, but I'm wondering how ready he truly is after barely getting on the field and making a difference today.

I like the fact that Kubiak is rotating receivers. I may not like WHEN, but I think if we're moving the ball, and aren't desperate for points (Read: Behind with a quarter to play) then we should be giving Andre a break and finding out exactly what some of these young guys can do. Babying Andre may not be our favorite thing to see because he's a major playmaker, limiting his snaps reduces his chance for injury and keeps him from wearing down as quickly. Hell, the way Jean looked today, I'd be okay with AJ getting a few more plays off when we're ahead and our Defense is dominating. AJ is unfortunately at the point where we may have to use him a bit more selectively due to his history of fragility.

We need to play less conservative when we have a lead. Our defense is proving to look better this year than last year, but offenses are too high powered anymore. Just like the Saints game, being up by 14 is quickly erased in this league, and we can't assume any lead is safe until we're up 28 with 4 minutes left and we have the ball.

We have to find ways to score TDs in the Redzone. Other teams do it better with worse personnel; it's all about play-calling. Bootlegs with drag and outs, rub routes, sticks, slants, fades, whatever! I'm not sure if another site has re-done the Redzone scoring formula, but I think it should be Total Points Possible / Total Points Scored, where each visit should be a possible 6 points, resulting in a FG counting as 50% instead of 100% as I believe it currently is. If it was reformulated, I believe the Texans would look far worse in this category.

Kareem [can't turn my head around] Jackson is going to continue to cause severe problems if he doesn't change his pass coverage technique.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: