Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

priorities of cap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: priorities of cap Reply with quote

Cap spending is not something I have down at all, not a capologist . If Cap figures are equal, how many here feel the team should go to a man to man coverage scheme and get "another" shutdown corner even if it means trading Timmons if cap space is similar ?

I remembered everyone here cutting me up for thinking they should have tried to sign Champ Bailey. Everyone wanted Timmons signed long term (Bailey is old blah blah) which seemed logical at the time. Now it seems that 2 shutdown corners and 2 good corners are more important than ILB's in todays game if Cap decides that one be chosen over the other. We would like both, but with cap making this a challenge , what approach would you take ?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: priorities of cap Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
Cap spending is not something I have down at all, not a capologist . If Cap figures are equal, how many here feel the team should go to a man to man coverage scheme and get "another" shutdown corner even if it means trading Timmons if cap space is similar ?

I remembered everyone here cutting me up for thinking they should have tried to sign Champ Bailey. Everyone wanted Timmons signed long term (Bailey is old blah blah) which seemed logical at the time. Now it seems that 2 shutdown corners and 2 good corners are more important than ILB's in todays game if Cap decides that one be chosen over the other. We would like both, but with cap making this a challenge , what approach would you take ?

People "cut you up" because Bailey was going to cost too much and likely wanted to stay a Bronco, which he did. On top of that, the Steelers dont go out of their way to sign outside free agents, especially aging ones. How you arent aware of that, Im not sure.

2 shutdown corners? LMAO....there may not even be 2 shutdown corners in the league anymore. Revis is the only one right now....Scrabble used to be one but teams target him a good bit these days. There are only probably about 7 or 8 even great CBs in this league. and maybe 20 that can even be considered good. Most CBs in this league are solid, average or worse.

Timmons was signed because a) he just came off a huge 2010 and b) because we had nothing else beyond James Farrior who was in his twilight years.

And as I stated in the other thread....you absolutely do no need two great corners. You need a pass rush and cant give huge cushions constantly....the main two reasons Manning was able to pick us apart underneath last night. We stopped Tom Brady from doing his thing last year but making him get the ball out quick and got physical with their WRs...but last night, it was back to the same old lame duck defense thats gotten us trouble several times over the last 3 years.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: priorities of cap Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers wrote:

People "cut you up" because Bailey was going to cost too much and likely wanted to stay a Bronco, which he did. On top of that, the Steelers dont go out of their way to sign outside free agents, especially aging ones. How you arent aware of that, Im not sure.

I am aware of them not signing outside free agents as such, but sometimes there are worthy exceptions dictated by current conditions (passing game of today). Costing too much is subjective and could be feasible when considering the Timmons contract for example (and the comparison I had in mind)

2 shutdown corners? LMAO....there may not even be 2 shutdown corners in the league anymore. Revis is the only one right now....Scrabble used to be one but teams target him a good bit these days. There are only probably about 7 or 8 even great CBs in this league. and maybe 20 that can even be considered good. Most CBs in this league are solid, average or worse.

pardon the technicality. Shutdown is a word thrown around and I fell for this. I meant 2 "solid" corners as in Taylor in the steelers FO eyes type players . Sorry, but I think you understand now? My basic argument here was trading the interest in ILB high pay for CB high pay. capiche ?

Timmons was signed because a) he just came off a huge 2010 and b) because we had nothing else beyond James Farrior who was in his twilight years.

I undersatand but my point was , looking at the current state of the game, wouldn't you prefer a "solid" corner instead of a Timmons type player? ILB vs CB.

And as I stated in the other thread....you absolutely do no need two great corners. You need a pass rush and cant give huge cushions constantly....the main two reasons Manning was able to pick us apart underneath last night. We stopped Tom Brady from doing his thing last year but making him get the ball out quick and got physical with their WRs...but last night, it was back to the same old lame duck defense thats gotten us trouble several times over the last 3 years.

I don't know why they went back to their old ways, blame the coaches as they all put the plan together. Trading Timmons for a "solid" CB still wouldn't do much with this passe scheme. History has shown this to fail, yet still try? I can't believe it , and to consider Tomlin a defensive mind a a former receiver IIRC?

Needs : James Harrison Twisted Evil
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: priorities of cap Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

The Bronco's caught 19 passes, Steelers players caught 22, their CB's aren't better than ours. Tracy Porter's interception was big but Ben has already taken the blame for staring down the receiver on that play.

Out of all the CB's in the league Revis is probably the only one who can change games. Our CB's are not bad it's just that NFL QB's have gotten better over the years.

As for the cap, it's a problem but we can pretty much sign almost whoever we want it's just that we have to let a veteran go to make room for it. So, it's up to you. Cutting Timmons would save $5.3m in 2013.

I don't blame the loss so much on our defense, our offense has to begin the game with a sense of urgency. We have to stop playing down to the opponent and score points. Let Ben call the plays. Play to win instead of trying to establish the run even when the defense has 9 men in the box.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: priorities of cap Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

Our CBs are fine, our scheme needs to change to meet the changing NFL along with the change in our defensive talent.

Side note - if you think we could get a 'shutdown CB' for the likes of Lawrence Timmons, you're sadly mistaken.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: priorities of cap Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
3rivers wrote:

Our CBs are fine, our scheme needs to change to meet the changing NFL along with the change in our defensive talent.

Side note - if you think we could get a 'shutdown CB' for the likes of Lawrence Timmons, you're sadly mistaken.

Shutdown as in what some call good/solid CB. Shutdown as in Revis, I know that can't happen for cap reasons, but players like a step below, in the same capspace as Taylor and others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: