Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos signed former Patriots Center Dan Koppen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Broncos signed former Patriots Center Dan Koppen Reply with quote

Quote:
#Broncos signed former #Patriots Pro-Bowl Center Dan Koppen to a 1-year deal.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/245342680203264000

It's a 1-year deal.

The 32-year old Koppen entered the league as a 5th round pick in 2003 and immediately became a starter and went on to win back-to-back Superbowls in 2003 and 2004. He was selected to the Pro-Bowl in 2007.

Koppen played 121 career games but was limited to 1 game last season after a week 1 injury.

He was released after a horrible pre-season that saw him get benched several times, he clearly lost much of his playing ability following his injury and due to his age.

Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr.MileHigh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty stoked about this I added my own topic but seen you had one so I deleted mine here is what I got.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonnew-england-patriots&id=4729523&city=boston

He is better than what we have now that's all I can say

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's cooked. Reliable snapper and smart. But not strong or quick enough to deal w/ big DTs. Might help Walton possibly.
dbronx42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
He's cooked. Reliable snapper and smart. But not strong or quick enough to deal w/ big DTs. Might help Walton possibly.

I'll take your word for it. You've usually been pretty spot on when it comes to us signing old broken down Patriots. Which has been a lot obviously... I'm guessing this is just a cheap insurance policy as a backup Long Snapper / Center. Still though, i'm tired of us signing they're old trash.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You KNOW an old player is done when the Patriots release him.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate everything to do with the Patriots besides Donut so I obviously hate this

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Matt Russell goes back to the New England well once again. Color me astounded. Rolling Eyes

When is Elway going to hire some real personnel people to work on this team rather than retaining all these McDaniels lackeys? I could understand if Jarvis Green, LaMont Jordan, Chad Jackson, Laurence Maroney, Jabar Gaffney, Brandon Gorin, Russ Hochstein, Ty Law, Ty Warren, LeKevin Smith or Lonie Paxton had worked out as planned but why are we continuing to go back to the New England well when the results have been disastrous?

Elway has done a phenomenal job, even when I doubted him. Even this year's free agent class has paid some early dividends. But one how many New England castoffs is it going to take before Elway and Russell realize that the Pats only release players who are either injured, injury prone, washed up or who flat out suck?

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
Donut wrote:

I'll take your word for it. You've usually been pretty spot on when it comes to us signing old broken down Patriots. Which has been a lot obviously... I'm guessing this is just a cheap insurance policy as a backup Long Snapper / Center. Still though, i'm tired of us signing they're old trash.

I dont know if I can remember him doing any LS. We've cycled through some LS but I only remember Ninkovich doing it.
But I would've gone w/ Tennant. He reminded me of Koppen coming out but surprised he was released. He's never been particularly strong but his quickness I guess has dropped off significantly since his injury. We have some bad interior OLman(looking at Donald Thomas and Cannon as a OT)
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
I hate everything to do with the Patriots besides Donut so I obviously hate this

Thanks Laughing
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Wow, Matt Russell goes back to the New England well once again. Color me astounded. Rolling Eyes

When is Elway going to hire some real personnel people to work on this team rather than retaining all these McDaniels lackeys? I could understand if Jarvis Green, LaMont Jordan, Chad Jackson, Laurence Maroney, Jabar Gaffney, Brandon Gorin, Russ Hochstein, Ty Law, Ty Warren, LeKevin Smith or Lonie Paxton had worked out as planned but why are we continuing to go back to the New England well when the results have been disastrous?

~Jackson was a Shanahan signing. remember he had the 19 yrd screen pass from Cutler vs Jets. Would've been dumb to cut him before camp imo. he made the roster for a day then they unsuspended Marshall. Though McDaniels IIRC was a big advocate on Jackson's release in NE.
~Gaffney I thought did exactly what was wanted from him. He had a 700 yrd and 800 yrd season. not sure what you expected?
~Law and Hochstein werent realy bad here and were decent backups. IIRC your biggest issue was releasing that young scrub CB(Jack Williams was name IIRC).

I think Hoyer, Tennant(doesnt really count), Gaffney, Koutouvides(as a STer), and might be able to get something out of G. Warren and Branch(though it'd probably have to be in NE for them to do anything). Others I was thinking might end up elsewhere ended up on IR(Allen, Barrett ect...)
FYI When Woodhead is released he isnt worth signing, he sucks.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't understand this at all. The only thing I could think of which the Denver Post suggests is that JD Walton is having trouble with communicating protection schemes with Peyton Manning. Koppen is obviously very experienced so I guess this is what the FO is banking on.

Smells of desperation to me, and it doesn't say much for JD Walton, who I thought had a good preseason and a decent game on Sunday. That said, only people within the team truly know how good he is from a 'calling protection' standpoint.

MUFC OK
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda surprised at that. I've been real pleased with Walton's progress this year.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does this say about/to CJ Davies and Phillip Blake ? Also, I thought we needed DEFENSIVE line help... Think

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
What does this say about/to CJ Davies and Phillip Blake ? Also, I thought we needed DEFENSIVE line help... Think

Maybe the Broncos will trade for Vincent Wolfork?
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect this move is nothing more than depth. I don't think he will take away snaps from Walton or anyone else.

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

I thought Russ Hochstein worked out just fine. He was a good backup. You're being unfair to him dragging him in there with all those scrubs.

Donut wrote:
~Gaffney I thought did exactly what was wanted from him. He had a 700 yrd and 800 yrd season. not sure what you expected?

Gaffney is garbage. When he steps on the field, opposing defenses can know there's one less guy on the field to worry about beating anyone deep and nevermind his negative presence on running plays. Even a nobody role player like Anthony Armstrong becomes missed when someone like Jabar Gaffney replaces him. The guy only makes the rotations of teams with bad wide receiver play. He puts up ok numbers in these situations and know-nothings think he's good as a result. If he was so good smart teams wouldn't be dumping him and then putting together actual receiving cores in subsequent seasons. How come the Texans, Patriots, Broncos, and Redskins never missed him and it seems only the goon McDaniels seems to be attached to Gaffney?

Last edited by AntiSuperstar on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
mke1010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointing that Blake has not progressed as quickly as hoped. He was one of the oldest rookies in the draft and the hope was that he would transition quickly. CJ Davis and Blake must be pretty bad for us to sign Koppen.
kansas bob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this signing. Walton and Blake will learn a lot from him.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: