Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive woes - what can be done?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ being back should hopefully help. He eliminates one of Mays or Woodyard for nearly every play, which takes care of half of the team's problems.
Mr.MileHigh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
DJ being back should hopefully help. He eliminates one of Mays or Woodyard for nearly every play, which takes care of half of the team's problems.

Alright I definitely agree with you. In Preseason I know its different then regular season but Trevathan played very well against TE. Why not replace Woodyard who bit multiple times and gave up first downs and Mays sucks period. He is like a stiff vertical tackler that misses quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
The Broncos defense gave up 19 points to an elite team.

While I agree that they are an elite team, they are a banged up elite team. They were without their #1rb, and by the end of the game their O-line was in shambles. Also, their best receiver held out for most of the offseason.

I agree that Ben was a huge reason that they converted 3rd and long a handful of times due to his size and scrambling ability, but I worry about the pass rush being as effective as it was against other teams due to the fact that the Steelers O-Line was so beat up.

Denver Broncos - Detroit Tigers - Michigan Wolverines
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...we all love DJ Williams now?
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
He's an idiot off the field, but even though he's a bit overrated(feel that he should be an elite player) he is a sure tackler and he is good in coverage. D.J. being back takes Mays off the field on passing downs and D.J. is a much better spy/blitzer than Woodyard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem on 3rd and 12 was not the blitzing (or not blitzing), it was allowing the receivers to run free at the LOS. Once Denver started playing Bump and Run coverage, Denver forced some punts. I loved seeing Harris, Tony Carter, and Leonard on the field. Denver is so far ahead this year on defense it's not even funny. Your defense in on the field for 14:24 seconds on the third period and you win by 12, that is getting it done. I will say this again, once Denver started to bump receivers the game took a dramatic turn.
Winder23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
He's an idiot off the field, but even though he's a bit overrated(feel that he should be an elite player) he is a sure tackler and he is good in coverage. D.J. being back takes Mays off the field on passing downs and D.J. is a much better spy/blitzer than Woodyard.
No one loves DJ, but the Broncos sure do need him down the stretch. He is a dang good player when he is motivated. I think a winning team will help DJ give consistent effort.

I hope either Johnson, Trevathan or Irving can emerge as a better option in the nickle. Mays is a painfully limited player. He really struggles on the outside and in space. What a dumb contract that was.

The point is DJ is going to be missed for these first few games!
JRebar913

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToastedOats wrote:
The problem on 3rd and 12 was not the blitzing (or not blitzing), it was allowing the receivers to run free at the LOS. Once Denver started playing Bump and Run coverage, Denver forced some punts. I loved seeing Harris, Tony Carter, and Leonard on the field. Denver is so far ahead this year on defense it's not even funny. Your defense in on the field for 14:24 seconds on the third period and you win by 12, that is getting it done. I will say this again, once Denver started to bump receivers the game took a dramatic turn.

it annoys the crap out of me to see cb's play 10 yards off the wr. the steelers ran so many slants to get first downs, like you said once they started playing press coverage they shut that down and made ben hold the ball longer. they werent able to stop all his passes as he ran around but it gave the d line a better chance of getting to the qb.
kansas bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a player, I love D J. Yes he isn't real bright off the field but a good player on the field. I have worked with a lot of people who had drinking problems away from work but it never effected their job performance.
One problem I seen last night is that our Offense took under two minutes to score (or so it seemed) so our defense had to be on the field about 35+ minutes of the game. If the D can ever string very many 3 and out series together we will be the team that wins by 40 points!
Go Broncos!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRebar913 wrote:
ToastedOats wrote:

it annoys the crap out of me to see cb's play 10 yards off the wr. the steelers ran so many slants to get first downs, like you said once they started playing press coverage they shut that down and made ben hold the ball longer. they werent able to stop all his passes as he ran around but it gave the d line a better chance of getting to the qb.

Well the problem with press coverage is that it allows the deep ball to be more probable. The Steelers have very fast deep ball receivers and we have one safety that is learning and the other who does the right things but isn't a playmaker. Sure a few plays we might get it to work but the whole game, Ben would find a way to throw it deep and get a PI or a long catch.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
kentwag24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
No one loves DJ, but the Broncos sure do need him down the stretch. He is a dang good player when he is motivated. I think a winning team will help DJ give consistent effort.

I hope either Johnson, Trevathan or Irving can emerge as a better option in the nickle. Mays is a painfully limited player. He really struggles on the outside and in space. What a dumb contract that was.

The point is DJ is going to be missed for these first few games!

I have really noticed DJ give a lack of effort on the field. He's obviously an idiot off the field, and I think because of that people classify him as not being motivated. I've always thought he played with plenty of effort on the field. I mean look at the production, all while seeming to change position every other year. He's been a solid player throughout his career, while having never been the elite player I thought he would be.

The fact is we need DJ if we want to beat NE in the playoffs. As much as just about everyone dislikes him as a person (myself included). He's the only traditional LB we have that's any good. Woodyard and Mays got abused by Heath Miller. I cringe when thinking of them going up against the Pats without DJ to at least cover one of Gronk/Hernandez.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentwag24 wrote:
The fact is we need DJ if we want to beat NE in the playoffs. As much as just about everyone dislikes him as a person (myself included). He's the only traditional LB we have that's any good. Woodyard and Mays got abused by Heath Miller. I cringe when thinking of them going up against the Pats without DJ to at least cover one of Gronk/Hernandez.

I doubt DJ will spend a lot of time covering either player. Last time we covered Gronkowski with Woodyard and Hernandez is moved around too much most likely to commit the team's lead linebacker to him without screwing up other things. We may try to cover Gronkowski with D.J. but I wouldn't expect him to be on Hernandez too much. I would however be interested to see this matchup. If I'm to guess, I wouldn't be suprised if Rahim Moore gets a shot at Hernandez at some point, for good or ill.

Also if I was to judge Mays and Woodyard based on Tight End coverage, I wouldn't have much of a problem with the two players, especially relative to the rest of the league. The problem with them is run defense and tackling.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
The Broncos defense gave up 19 points to an elite team.

jsthomp2007 wrote:

Right.

Our defense didn't play badly on Sunday night. The Steelers are a Super Bowl caliber team with a championship QB and three WRs who all create match up nightmares for their opponents. We held them to 19 points after allowing one 3rd-and-long conversion after another. Our defensive flaws are correctable and we're only going to improve as time goes by.

It's understandable how DJ's off the field idiocy lends people to reach the conclusion that he's not worth the trouble and/or expendable. Then we see the team play without him and, while far from awful, the defense is a different unit without him. Why else would Mike Shanahan, Josh McDaniels and John Elway/John Fox - three regimes VERY different in their respective approaches to leading a football team - have kept him around? DJ is a difference-maker at a key position who does everything well. As a football player (read: on the field) he is the consummate professional.

I'm not trying to take a shot at anyone here, but a lot of the comments in this thread are typical week 1 over-reactions.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think those third and longs wouldn't have happened, if the Broncos weren't playing against Big Ben...he extends plays soooooooooo long. And, he does it efficiently. Unlike some QBs that hold on to the ball too long...Big Ben has made that his shtick.

Other QBs...MOST QBs...don't do what Big Ben does. It is pretty remarkable and we are asking defensive backs to cover very good receivers for an immeasurable amount of time, because they don't know when Big Ben will unleash, or just take off with the ball.

I wouldn't expect Matt Ryan to have the same success. However, I am leery of the Atlanta game, because they have a really good WR corp. and a very good running back. However, if they are forced into third and long and Von/Doom/Wolfe are allowed to pin their ears back and rush the QB, Matty ICEE might be on the turf a lot...at least I hope he is.

Last edited by jsthomp2007 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear Big Ben lubes his jersey with KY Jelly before the game, it seems like nobody can grab him. And I dont know how nobody can seem to get a clean shot on a 250lb QB who is not fast, he is the master of not taking a square hit. Ben is an anomaly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: