Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins player breaks arm, keeps playing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coleman51

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Redskins player breaks arm, keeps playing Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000060392/article/redskins-long-snapper-breaks-arm-keeps-snapping

Meet Nick Sundberg. He's the long snapper for the Washington Redskins. The article doesn't give much detail, but basically says he broke his arm in the first half, and did nine more snaps.

How brave is this? I do know that long snappers get certain protections on punts and things like that, but can someone break this down for us? How much damage could he have done to himself by continuing to play?

edit: new link via Washington Times
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2012/sep/9/long-snapper-nick-sundberg-breaks-left-arm-redskin/

Quote:

“We're going to evaluate it this week. That's the plan,” Sundberg said. “I don't want to sit out, but ultimately that's up to the coaching staff depending on how everything turns out tomorrow and things like that, once the adrenaline goes away and everything is going to be a completely different story.”

Sundberg stayed in the game Sunday, snapping the ball nine times after breaking his arm. It looked like he was overseeing center Will Montgomery attempting to long-snap, but Sundberg didn't let it come to that.

“There really wasn't another choice,” he said.

Here's a link to wiki if you want to know what the ulna bone is and you're not an anatomy expert:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulna

Quote:
@jwyattsports 1h
#Titans safety Bernard Pollard on #Chiefs: “I’m mad at the fact they’ve decided to come here and play football in our stadium."

RIP Stylish313
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a long snapper for a long time and this is unreal.

1. Guys in the middle will hack at your arms and upper body as soon as the ball moves on an effort to disrupt the snap. So he really would be getting beat up on every play.

2. He probably snaps one handed but it's still impressive that he was able to be accurate. Punt snaps are the worst because of the distance. Tough move, I loved watching the redskins yesterday, it was the first Washington game I've ever watched.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of wished he would have left the game, just so everyone could see what a regular center would do long snapping. I have confidence it wouldn't have been pretty. It really irritates me when people say "long snapping is easy, i could do it" or "why does my team keep a long snapper? just use the center".

In any case, mad props to this guy. It wasn't his main snapping arm, just his guide arm, but still is very impressive.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
I kind of wished he would have left the game, just so everyone could see what a regular center would do long snapping. I have confidence it wouldn't have been pretty. It really irritates me when people say "long snapping is easy, i could do it" or "why does my team keep a long snapper? just use the center".

In any case, mad props to this guy. It wasn't his main snapping arm, just his guide arm, but still is very impressive.

thank you! Not all centers can long snap, its a completely different skill than snapping shotgun or under center. Even if it is just his guide arm, most long snappers follow through with both arms so it's still a major feat that he kept snapping. I don't know this players particular style but it's just as impressive. Every fan should show some love to long snappers. Next time you're tossing the ball around, try to throw it between your legs 15 yards in less than 1 second
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow how can you fight through the pain Shocked

"You will never walk again... but you will fly"
“You forget. My father had four sons.”
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how serious of a break it was, i broke my arm twice this year and couldnt move

Obviously as a professional athlete your tolerance for pain is higher, but to play with it for 9 more snaps is ridiculous. He's gotta use that arm Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long snappers also go down the field and try to make a tackle. Did he attempt to make a play on any of those 9 snaps?

R.I.P. Stylish
coleman51

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Long snappers also go down the field and try to make a tackle. Did he attempt to make a play on any of those 9 snaps?

Redskins fans? Give us an update!

He mentioned his adrenaline being the reason he got through it, I could see it getting through a play or two, but nine, he probably pushed the limit and seriously risked further damage. Makes you wonder if he was worried about his roster spot due to injury. Coaches think higher of players who fight through injuries rather than sit them out, but was there even a viable option? Was he cleared or did he just go for it?

Quote:
@jwyattsports 1h
#Titans safety Bernard Pollard on #Chiefs: “I’m mad at the fact they’ve decided to come here and play football in our stadium."

RIP Stylish313
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coleman51 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Redskins fans? Give us an update!

He mentioned his adrenaline being the reason he got through it, I could see it getting through a play or two, but nine, he probably pushed the limit and seriously risked further damage. Makes you wonder if he was worried about his roster spot due to injury. Coaches think higher of players who fight through injuries rather than sit them out, but was there even a viable option? Was he cleared or did he just go for it?
There isn't much to add than was already said. He played the entire game without a peep. Played his position well and didn't mishandle any snaps for the entire game. No one watching even knew he was injured until after the game that's how much he sucked it up and played.
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

Welp... you got your wish. And on a Nationally televised game to boot.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
theJ wrote:

Goethel was all kinds of awful. I may be wrong but I didn't see him practice one snap on the sidelines. If it was me, I'd be long snapping every free second I had on that sideline. I blame the ST coach for not telling him to find a long stretch and getting some reps in. Again - he may have practiced some, but I didn't see it.

There have been examples of replacement LS stinking up the joint. The Steelers had an episode not long ago. Trey Junkin is the most famous one I can think of (he was a LS but it shows how much practice is needed to get in sync with the Punter/Holder)
Broncos_OTM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a long snapper in high school, maybe I just had a knack for it, but to me it was easy
.. but with a broken arm. not so much. kudos for being a trooper
coors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's my definition of tough.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Wow how can you fight through the pain Shocked

Adrenaline.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
theJ wrote:

The OAK game? I didn't get to watch it, but i saw some rolled snaps on the highlights. How many bad ones were there?

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: