Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pardon the Question, but what's with all the batted balls?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Blagasse67


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 11319
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Those quick slant passes are just begging to be batted down if a real lane is not created.


This. If you don't have passing lanes, the quick passes don't work. This offense is built on the quick and intermediate passes
_________________

UniversalAuthor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuperDolfan13


Joined: 03 Dec 2007
Posts: 601
Location: Latrobe, PA (Birth place of pro football)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the Texans week 1 game I was thinking the same thing. Then I thought didn't someone already post a thread about that?? So, is it Tanny? The OLine?? Either way it's obvious that this is a major issue. We had the Texans on the ropes until we lost all of our momentum because of deflected pass that turned into turn overs. Good call Merc
_________________

^Props to Waldo
"So the last shall be first, and first shall be last." Matthew 20:16
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaytotha


Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 4461
Location: Spokane Valley, Wa
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperDolfan13 wrote:
After watching the Texans week 1 game I was thinking the same thing. Then I thought didn't someone already post a thread about that?? So, is it Tanny? The OLine?? Either way it's obvious that this is a major issue. We had the Texans on the ropes until we lost all of our momentum because of deflected pass that turned into turn overs. Good call Merc


Lets not discredit JJ Watt here... This is mainly Tannehill and his eyes but I figure nerves and pressure got to him in his first game. This will straighten out with experience
_________________


Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blagasse67


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 11319
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
SuperDolfan13 wrote:
After watching the Texans week 1 game I was thinking the same thing. Then I thought didn't someone already post a thread about that?? So, is it Tanny? The OLine?? Either way it's obvious that this is a major issue. We had the Texans on the ropes until we lost all of our momentum because of deflected pass that turned into turn overs. Good call Merc


Lets not discredit JJ Watt here... This is mainly Tannehill and his eyes but I figure nerves and pressure got to him in his first game. This will straighten out with experience


JJ Watt is a monster period. I'm sure he had a lot to do with it. The thing is, we are running short routes, but they don't work when there aren't any passing lanes.

IMO we threw the ball way too much. We should have ran the ball a little bit more. I'm sorry, but we should have activated Miller and ran the ball. 36 passes against 17 rushes is crazy. I don't mind those numbers if the team is set up to throw. Right now our OL is better suited running the ball.

We need to establish a run game to help protect Tannehill and help the OL
_________________

UniversalAuthor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ukdolfan


Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 8976
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it's not fully in reading the eyes. In at least one of the batted balls he scanned across the field, it's not like he was locked onto the receiver.

If you look at a number of the plays the entire Houston line jumps and/or gets their hands up at the same time. Tannehill needs to throw the odd pump fake and manoeuvre to be throwing through lanes rather than over linemen.
_________________


^ Jamison on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaytotha


Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 4461
Location: Spokane Valley, Wa
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:
SuperDolfan13 wrote:
After watching the Texans week 1 game I was thinking the same thing. Then I thought didn't someone already post a thread about that?? So, is it Tanny? The OLine?? Either way it's obvious that this is a major issue. We had the Texans on the ropes until we lost all of our momentum because of deflected pass that turned into turn overs. Good call Merc


Lets not discredit JJ Watt here... This is mainly Tannehill and his eyes but I figure nerves and pressure got to him in his first game. This will straighten out with experience


JJ Watt is a monster period. I'm sure he had a lot to do with it. The thing is, we are running short routes, but they don't work when there aren't any passing lanes.

IMO we threw the ball way too much. We should have ran the ball a little bit more. I'm sorry, but we should have activated Miller and ran the ball. 36 passes against 17 rushes is crazy. I don't mind those numbers if the team is set up to throw. Right now our OL is better suited running the ball.

We need to establish a run game to help protect Tannehill and help the OL


Gameplan changes when your down though
_________________


Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagasse67 wrote:
IMO we threw the ball way too much. We should have ran the ball a little bit more. I'm sorry, but we should have activated Miller and ran the ball. 36 passes against 17 rushes is crazy. I don't mind those numbers if the team is set up to throw. Right now our OL is better suited running the ball.

We need to establish a run game to help protect Tannehill and help the OL



What game did you watch? We ran every chance we could. Penalties and mistakes forced us into 2nd- and 3rd-and-long situations. We ran, ran, ran until we had to throw the ball in passing situations and on the balls that weren't completed we made mistakes. Tannehill threw some inaccurate passes, we saw some bad hands by the receivers and unfortunately some the balls got batted up and intercepted.

Firstly, I give credit to the Texans defensive line who clearly anticipated being able to control this game. JJ Watt played a good game as did he peers.

Miami isn't protecting Ryan Tannehill enough to get the ball down the field. That's the problem. I hope in time Brian Hartline and Anthony Armstrong will provide a little help in doing that. Hartline made a couple plays to indicate he's ready to play, which is dearly needed.

However, there were only a few times in this game where our QB had a chance to stand in the pocket, look down the field, find a target and deliver the ball with the same amount of clarity that his counterpart did.

The bottom line is that batted balls aren't a problem unless you're throwing short passes to guys who are close to you where the trajectory of the pass needs be lower. I agree with the premise that our offensive line needs to open some lanes if we plan on dinking and dunking to move the chains.

The sad thing is, the alternative of trying to push the ball down the field isn't there for us because we can't keep Tannehill upright. For our sake, I hope we just played a better team who's defensive line is far superior in talent to our blockers because if not, we're in for a long year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WaterBear56


Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 3156
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans defense had the most batted passes last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ovaw8lover


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 9065
Location: Dolphins Stadium
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the batted balls today but was determined not to make it a huge issue until I see a pattern. Since I did not see any of the preseason games, I cannot make a statement on it. But it is in memory in watching next game.
_________________
"Yesterday Is History, Tomorrow Is A Mystery, And Today Is A Gift. That Is Why It Is Called The Present.""
Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daryl


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 492
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an accurate statement to say that the OL, Tannehill and the Texans Defense all contributed to the batted balls. The passing lanes were small throughout the game and you have to credit the Texans Defense. As it was stated earlier they led the league in batted passes last yr. RTizzle has got to do a better job of finding passing lanes until the protection gets better to help his line out and eliminate the batted passes. I will also tell you that I watched Drew Brees get 4 or 5 balls batted down yesterday as well, you might think well Brees is like 6 foot tall OK that's a factor but I also watch 6'5 Josh Freeman have the same issue and these are guys with experience so I would say let's be patient. If RTizzle doesn't have any batted balls this game looks allot different and that is encouraging. For the record Luck threw three picks none from batted balls, Vick threw 4 & Weeden threw 4 and none of his came off batted balls either. We all knew this was going to be hard to watch at times but I do take some positives from this game. The offensive diversity was great to see When we came out in quads with the WR stacked behind each other on both side of the formation I was like WTH are we doing??? That's how shocked I was to see some creativity. I haven't seen us in a formation like that in a long long LONG time. Also you didn't see allot of the same formations back to back to back which was also nice. The defense was good despite defending short fields and we held the Texans to 3 yards a carry on 29 attempts. Yes Andre Johnson had is normal productive day but he is arguably the best WR in the league flip a coin it's him or Megatron in my eyes. He had no larger impact than any of the games that he played us in the past with Vonte to I was able to exhale a little. Where the perfect no but it wasn't a complete disaster either. I would have liked to see Clay be more productive. Reggie ran well it's early but he looks better than he did last yr this scheme fits him like a glove. I hated the Daniel Thomas pick when it was made and I have stated that over and over again but aside from the fumble he looked good he looks faster n more explosive nice catch n run he had he is still to soft for me as a "power back". I'm looking forward to seeing this team progress the team is extremely young 11 rookie or first yr players, that's allot of turn over but the good thing is they will grow together and by mid season should look good baring any major injury
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DolphWins


Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 1554
Location: Nashville
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how not to post.

lol
_________________


Adopt a Dolphwin - Lamar Miller
11 Rush - 59 Yards - 5.4 Avg - 1 TD [] 4 Rec - 19 Yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daryl


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 492
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to Post or Pose ????? Sorry I don't get it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 9543
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texans just bat down a lot of balls.....Coach Kubiak said most teams dont allow the D-Line to bat down balls in practice because they want to work on routes and stuff with their WR but the texans encourage it during practice and it shows up on game day

i thought Tannehill looked decent yesterday when he was playing in the shot gun. I think his future is bright
_________________
2014 Adopt-A-Texan
Andre Johnson
34 catches 419 yards 1 TD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12819
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the batted balls issue is significant. It was a problem through preseason as well. I suspect it was predominately due to offensive line woes and lanes not being opened properly, but I'm not certain.

What I do know is that the batted balls stopped drives and in many ways turned the tide of the game. I think Houston probably would have won anyway, but Miami would have been much more in that game if the ball hadn't been turned over off of those the tips.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blagasse67


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 11319
Location: Delaware
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
The Texans just bat down a lot of balls.....Coach Kubiak said most teams dont allow the D-Line to bat down balls in practice because they want to work on routes and stuff with their WR but the texans encourage it during practice and it shows up on game day

i thought Tannehill looked decent yesterday when he was playing in the shot gun. I think his future is bright


While this may be true, Tannehill has had this issue through out pre season.

A lot of the batted balls have to do with a number of things. IMO i think:

1.) the OL not being able to create passing lanes.

2.) Tannehill's release

3.) The short to intermediate routes are becoming predictable.
_________________

UniversalAuthor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group