Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive woes - what can be done?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LW33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Defensive woes - what can be done? Reply with quote

This defense is unable to get off the field...which will be A big problem and our LBs are terrible.
elliot878

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they bent but didn't break. the pass rush has looked alright, but you're right about the linebackers.

LW33, your comment could have easily been thrown into the gameday thread. Masked in that comment is a legitimate topic for conversation, I edited your thread title only in an effort to start conversation, no intent to offend, as you did bring up a good point about our defense not being able to stop drives/linebackers not playing up to par.

What does everyone think we can do schematically and personnel wise to fix this going into week 2?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big thing for me was the inability to stop them on 3rd and longs. That should be the prime time do make 3rd down stops and they were just never made. We cant continue on next week allowing Matt Ryan and that Falcons offense to convert third and longs

mess with him at your peril
LW33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elliott! My bad, I've been absent since the draft and thread rule skipped my brain. Point taken! Thanks for the help.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to matchup better with Tight Ends. Which is hard for anyone to do. And we need MLB that is capable of playing more than just Guard to Guard. He's stiff and a complete liability on any pass play. But Woodyard is better off putting on some muscle. His coverage ability is severely overrated.

We missed D.J. Williams tonight. We bottled up a lot of interior runs but then we would just miss tackles or get beat outside.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
they bent but didn't break. the pass rush has looked alright, but you're right about the linebackers.

Just a quick note on this.

Not to bash the Broncos or anything, but the Steelers consistently have redzone issues regardless of who they face, so while they didnt break, it may have to do with how horrible we are inside the 10 usually.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
elliot878 wrote:

Not to bash the Broncos or anything, but the Steelers consistently have redzone issues regardless of who they face, so while they didnt break, it may have to do with how horrible we are inside the 10 usually.
I always thought size at the Receiver position would help you guys.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
elliot878 wrote:

Preaching to the choir brother....Ive been asking for a tall WR for years.

We drafted Limas Sweed in 2008...unfortunately he was only good at dropping easy catches and faking injuries.

Other than that...notta.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
elliot878 wrote:

Preaching to the choir brother....Ive been asking for a tall WR for years.

We drafted Limas Sweed in 2008...unfortunately he was only good at dropping easy catches and faking injuries.

Other than that...notta.

Or you could be like the Raiders and just throw Fades to receivers like Jacoby Ford. Laughing
Mr.MileHigh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can almost guarantee our D will be better next week. Why? Falcons can't handle the Pass rush and Matt Ryan won't be able to extend the play like Roth. I know Julio Jones and their offense is lethal. Just saying we would've had more sacks and stuff if we weren't trying to bring down a bear.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.MileHigh wrote:
I can almost guarantee our D will be better next week. Why? Falcons can't handle the Pass rush and Matt Ryan won't be able to extend the play like Roth. I know Julio Jones and their offense is lethal. Just saying we would've had more sacks and stuff if we weren't trying to bring down a bear.

This. We've always had trouble getting Big Ben on the ground. Tonight we probably would have had twice as many sacks if it wasn't for Ben's strength and athletic ability.

We do have to get better coverage against TEs and backs. Not having DJ really hurts because of his ability to cover TEs and run sideline to sideline. WW is the best we have and he's just average in coverage if not below average, while Mays is obviously a complete liability in coverage no matter who he is covering. I don't understand how Mays plays in the nickle, surely we have another LB better suited for the roll. Maybe Nate Irving or Danny Trevathon. Or possibly we could play Quinton Carter there and go with a nickle similar to the Bills
Mile High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and most importantly AussieBronco66 that is an amazing sig Laughing

As for our defense...I think we need to remember that we are an undersized, faster defense. WE ARE MEANT TO PLAY WITH A LEAD. When we have a lead the other team HAS to pass to catch up, and our pass rushers get to go off, and our corners get to make plays. It's no secret that our DT's and LB's are the weaker part of our defense.

Pittsburgh did a great job of keeping the game close in the first half, which allowed them to stick to their game plan. Once we got up it was a different game.

Jamison. mad props on this amazing Sig!!!
Winder23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as if we gave up alot last night. Yes we have some issues at LB, but I thought the entire d-line rotation played well and Rahim Moore showed he can play big boy football. This defense will get better. Big Ben is an excellent QB, especially on 3rd down.

The TE is going to be a problem all season. We don't have the personnel to cover them consistenetly.
PGeorge2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mile High wrote:
WE ARE MEANT TO PLAY WITH A LEAD

I'm going to post something similar to this in the gameday thread when I post my thoughts, and while I agree with your assessment that this team has been built to play with a lead, if we are going to do that we must get much better. If we are truely a team built to play with a lead and have our rushers their ears back, we cannot give up multiple 3rd and 12+'s. Does anyone have the number of their and very longs they completed?

3rd and 18 is a dream for a team that is built to play with a lead. That should be our strongest defensive area. And like has already been said, a lot of those completions were to the TE. Our LB's have to be able to play man coverage on a LB. And they have to be able to not let them run right by them on 3rd and 18 to get a first down.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Broncos defense gave up 19 points to an elite team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: