Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Team Captains
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
ironduke wrote:
rob_shadows wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/09/05/johnson-on-being-a-captain-there-are-times-when-something-has-to-be-said-and-thats-my-duty-now/

Quote:
ďI was texted by Jim to tell me I was named a captain. It was good to get a text from him. It is cool because your teammates vote on it. Itís a hell of a responsibility, but at the same time Iím still going to do what Iíve been doing, but be even better Ė even more so Ė as far as setting a good example for the young fellas.

ďI donít want them see me doing anything wrong and then they feel itís okay and then they go on and get in trouble for it. Thatís the biggest thing is being a good role model for everybody on the team.

ďI tend to lead by example, but there will be times when something needs to be said, no doubt. At that point, I can say something. It would more than likely be within my receivers group, but there are times when something has to be said to the entire team and thatís my duty now."

Calvin is ready to lead this team.

Please tell me he's not talking about Schwartz texting him...a player referring to their HC by first name always bugs the hell out of me.

What? These are grown men. You don't address your manager by their first name?

And in this case, "Jim" would get fired before Calvin does.

I refer to all my old coaches as "coach," even though we are friends now. It doesn't bother me either way, however.

Well, we also have to consider the context in which Calvin was talking. He was responding to a member of the media. What do we call the Lions coach? We as fans, and the media call him Jim Schwartz. Maybe he calls him coach in practice and to his face, and refers to him by what everyone else calls the guy when he's not around? Talking to someone directly face to face and referring to them in a conversation when talking to someone else is a completely different situation. Either way, it's really not a big deal.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good mix of captains. I think you need some in your face captains and some laid back lead by example types.

If you get too many in your face types it can backfire. Calvin and Hanson are those quiet leaders for sure. I think Stafford will be an in your face type.

KVB is probably going to be the most vocal captain IMO

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: