Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JC2832's Team by Team Analysis: Washington Redskins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: JC2832's Team by Team Analysis: Washington Redskins Reply with quote

Arizona Cardinals

Atlanta Falcons

Baltimore Ravens

Buffalo Bills

Carolina Panthers

Chicago Bears

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Dallas Cowboys

Denver Broncos

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts

Jacksonville Jaguars

Kansas City Chiefs

Miami Dolphins

Minnesota Vikings

New England Patriots

New Orleans Saints

New York Giants

New York Jets

Oakland Raiders

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

St. Louis Rams

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tennessee Titans

Washington Redskins (5-11)

The Washington Redskins’ season was over before it started last year. Going into the season hoping John “McGruber” Beck would be their savior which ultimately busted hard led them back to start “Train” Rex Grossman again. After the season the Redskins made the biggest move of the draft and maybe even the offseason trading 2 first round picks (2013 and 2014) and a 2nd round pick in 2012 along with the 6th overall pick this year to move up to the 2nd pick in the draft and take Robert Griffin III to be their franchise QB that they have been craving since Joe Theisman. The defense looks to be in place or at least just a few pieces away but the offense will need RG3 to be as good as advertised to really take off.

Offense:

Griffin comes into an offense that will play to his strengths that will utilize his mobility with roll-outs and boot-legs. He is an accurate passer that can make all the throws, but there are some concerns with the talent surrounding him. His offensive line was pretty poor last year for the QBs but they also held on to the ball too long and didn’t have RG3’s mobility (few do). Trent Williams and Jamal Brown are the bookend tackles but Trent has struggled with injuries in the past, although he has been good when healthy, while Brown will start out on the PuP list this year. I hope for Griffin’s sake Jordan Black isn’t the next guy in line. Kory Lichtensteiger and Chris Chester look to be the starting guards for the redskins while Will Montgomery starts at Center. The entire line has a good amount of experience and even though there are some concerns with pass-protection at times, it is a Shanny line, so you know the ZBS can open up lanes for the running game. The Redskins will probably start 4 different players and a hotdog vendor at RB this year and they will all average 80 yards a game and 4.5 ypc. Shannahan is a running game’s dream and a fantasy owner’s nightmare, but no one cares about the 2nd part. Roy Helu Jr, Evan Royster, and Alfred Morris should all see significant playing time throughout the year, but there is no telling which RB will start which weeks. All that we know is that whoever it is, will be effective running and receiving. The WR position has improved dramatically this offseason by simply getting Leonard Hankerson off injured reserve and Pierre Garcon from Indianapolis. Garcon is a highlight reel waiting to happen making incredibly acrobatic catches, but he has a tendency to drop some easy ones too. Hankerson has a lot of potential and was starting to tap into it last year before he got hurt, but also has his own problems with concentration. His blend of size and speed is something that RG3 will love. The Redskins still have the speedster Santana Moss as well at WR who is good for a few big plays and catches across the middle as well. Fred Davis is now the starting TE for good, now that Chris Cooley is gone, although Cooley may be back very soon. Niles Paul moved over to TE from WR and is expected to be the 2nd string TE and see the field as a mismatch maybe on 3rd downs. This offense is very young top to bottom with the exception of Santana Moss so they should get a chance to gel together and if the development of Griffin III goes well, this offense could light off some fireworks.

Defense:

The Redskins defense was banged up on the front line early losing rookie Jarvis Jenkins to the IR very early so the skins had to plug in their backup NT early on. However, the defense wasn’t bad, but will get better this year. Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan are a great young pass-rushing combination off the edge and will wreck havoc on opposing QBs. Some questioned whether or not Orakpo and Kerrigan could play in the 3-4 defense thinking the 4-3 was a better fit, but have proven people wrong. Orakpo’s rookie year he was playing LB in the 4-3 but has made a great transition to the 3-4 and is one of the best 3-4 OLBs in the NFL. London Fletcher is still one of the ILBs of the 3-4 defense and even at age 37 he is still playing at a high level. Perry Riley is the other ILB and will look to start his first full season his 3rd year in the league. The front 3 will be led by Barry Coefield, Stephen Bowen and Adam Carriker. Bowen and Carriker provide some good pressure from the DE spots while Coefield does a strong job plugging the middle. The threesome combined for 14.5 sacks. With Jenkins back and healthy this line will be able to work in a good 4 man rotation with guys being able to move around the line. Deangelo Hall is the main-man in the secondary now but he is still a boom/bust CB taking many risks a game either amounting to an INT or a big play for the offense. Josh Wilson will be starting opposite Hall again after having a good full year in DC. The Redskins brought in former Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather to start over the top next to Madieu Williams. Clearly the Redskins weakness is its secondary as Williams has bounced to his 3 team and after a strong start to his career in New England, Meriweather became a headache and his play on the field wasn’t worth the issue. If the secondary can prevent a lot of big plays and let the OLBs get to the QB, this defense could be in for a major bump in the rankings.

Questions:

1. Is RG3 going to be the savior for the Redskins that Cam Newton appears to be for Carolina or will he falter like Mike Vick has done in his career?
2. Is the offensive line going to be able to protect RG3 long enough or will he be running for his life?
3. Will the defense take the next step in their development and cement themselves as a Top-10 unit?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If RG3 can stay 1)healthy
Limit his turnovers 2)(INT's & fumbles)
& 3)Maintain his poise, pocket presence & confidence?

The Redskins will be a 2012 Playoff team.

I have no doubt about that...
But all 3 will be hard to accomplish, as a rookie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:

How? That secondary is going to get abused so long as Ced Griffin, Madieu Williams and Brandon Merriweather are starting.

Further, even if RGIII plays like Newton last year and has an ubelievable rookie season, the Redskins are no more talented than last year's Panthers team and they were a 6 win team.

I like RGIII a lot but I think it will be a rough year for the Redskins defensively.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:

Is it really all on RGIII? That secondary looks a little shaky.
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
aceinthehouse wrote:

How? That secondary is going to get abused so long as Ced Griffin, Madieu Williams and Brandon Merriweather are starting.

Further, even if RGIII plays like Newton last year and has an ubelievable rookie season, the Redskins are no more talented than last year's Panthers team and they were a 6 win team.

I like RGIII a lot but I think it will be a rough year for the Redskins defensively.

The Panthers were also embarking on the first year of a new coaching staff and lost their star defensive player early. Big difference between the two teams. Moreover, the receiving options are suited to RGIIIs strengths. Obviously they do not have the same talent at RB, but the system is the value for Shanahan's running-backs.

The Redskins defense performed well last season despite Reed Doughty and rookie fifth-rounder DeJon Gomes starting at safety for the majority of the season. It's an obvious weak-point that could turn out to be the Achilles heel, but the defense managed with a worse secondary last year.

I do not think the playoffs are out of the question for the Redskins, I actually think they'll make it there. The team was competitive in their games last year despite poor receiving options and Rex Grossman in at QB.

It will be tough, but if the team starts strong they have a chance to make it to the playoffs.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job man, I wouldn't change a thing

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
aceinthehouse wrote:

Our front 7 is one of the best in the league, in most games they will hide the deficiencies we have in the secondary with those3 guys you mentioned.

I agree with what footy said, except that we can make the playoffs. I'm just being realistic, our division is one of the hardest in the nfl with 3 posing qbs who've been pro bowlers in the past and are leading veteran teams. We have to play the afcn, I think that's an unbelievably hard schedule. Especially for a young team with a rookie qb. I'd be shocked if we won more than 8 games and I envision really 6 or 7.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot decide if RG III is going to make a big splash or struggle through his rookie season. I hope he does make the splash, since he is an incredibly nice guy and casual about all the fame. My wife demos at Walmsrt. RG III came up to the cart, dressing Baylor work outs. Since he is 6'2", he's fairly tall in an average crowd. See asked him if he played basketball for Baylor. He smiled and said, "Yeh, I play basketball." He would probably be a god PG.

The Redskin team is a work in progress. Shanahan has not had a chance to install his famous ZBS, plus there is no Tom Nalen to build it around. The WR will not scare anyone, and the RB are even less impressive. That being said, Whoe heard of Rod Smith before he showed up in Denver? Shanahan has a reputation of being a RB genius, but it applies to his WR too. I expect it will take a year to sort out.

Defensively they are better, which is good. Shanahan has been known to neglect that side ofthe ball a bit. Overall, I think 8-8 is the upside.

J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up. I appreciate the time put into it as a Redskins fan. Our secondary is no more questionable last year while our front 7 is better and,our depth is there. Trent will become elite this season imo but we still need a RT. I think Garcon becomes RG3s go to WR amd sees his first 1000 yard season.

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-14 Tackles, 1PD, 1 Sack,1FR
DawgX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for Roy Helu this season. I didn't think much of him coming out of Nebraska but I was quite impressed with him last season. If Washington's offensive line improves and the passing game takes some pressure off of Helu, then I could see him being very productive this season and beyond.

Smack on the sig.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the game has passed Shanahan by. It doesn't help that he has had nothing at QB in Washington but Shanahan hasn't done anything for years. I don't see Snyder being much more patient with him if there isn't a marked improvement this year.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to take a couple of weeks for the running game to get going because of LG Kory Lichtensteiger's late return, and because the two primary ball carriers (Royster and Helu) are recovering from nagging off-season/pre-season injuries.

I wouldn't say the Redskins front seven is a top 5 unit, but they are a pretty darn good group. If Rak and Kerrigan perform as well as they expect, maybe then they will be considered a top 5 unit.

The problem with the Redskins is the same problem as the Seahawks in that they have a lot of young talent and therefore there is a lot of projection.

I like to believe that RGIII can be an X factor at the position early on because of Mike and Kyle Shanahan. If you can move the ball with Sexy Rexy, Jabar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth...I think you can get it done with RGIII, Pierre Garcon, Josh Morgan and Santana Moss. It is not always that simple, however I expect RGIII's deep ability to gain respect, in addition to the respect Shanahan's running game has, and open up everything else.
DawgX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:

The Redskins have a bright future, but I doubt they make the playoffs this year. They still have some holes and they are rather young. Plus, the other three teams in their division are all very talented and are more experienced.

onejayhawk wrote:
I cannot decide if RG III is going to make a big splash or struggle through his rookie season. I hope he does make the splash, since he is an incredibly nice guy and casual about all the fame. My wife demos at Walmsrt. RG III came up to the cart, dressing Baylor work outs. Since he is 6'2", he's fairly tall in an average crowd. See asked him if he played basketball for Baylor. He smiled and said, "Yeh, I play basketball." He would probably be a god PG.

The Redskin team is a work in progress. Shanahan has not had a chance to install his famous ZBS, plus there is no Tom Nalen to build it around. The WR will not scare anyone, and the RB are even less impressive. That being said, Whoe heard of Rod Smith before he showed up in Denver? Shanahan has a reputation of being a RB genius, but it applies to his WR too. I expect it will take a year to sort out.

Defensively they are better, which is good. Shanahan has been known to neglect that side ofthe ball a bit. Overall, I think 8-8 is the upside.

J

I'm guessing you didn't watch much of the Redskins last season. Helu was quite impressive considering he was a rookie drafted in the middle of the draft.

Smack on the sig.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
I'm guessing you didn't watch much of the Redskins last season. Helu was quite impressive considering he was a rookie drafted in the middle of the draft.

Helu is Darren Sproles. He is not suited for heavy usage. That being said, he is a very nice complimentary weapon.

J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
The Redskins defense performed well last season despite Reed Doughty and rookie fifth-rounder DeJon Gomes starting at safety for the majority of the season. It's an obvious weak-point that could turn out to be the Achilles heel, but the defense managed with a worse secondary last year.

I do not think the playoffs are out of the question for the Redskins, I actually think they'll make it there. The team was competitive in their games last year despite poor receiving options and Rex Grossman in at QB.

It will be tough, but if the team starts strong they have a chance to make it to the playoffs.

Just wait until you see Cedric Griffin and Madieu Williams, it will be a disaster. The Vikings pass defense was horrid last year and Griffin was a significant contributor to that. He was so bad that he was benched in favor of Benny Sapp at RCB.

Madieu Williams was simply horrible, maybe it was a scheme. No matter how great your front 7 is, if your secondary is horrid, it all goes to waste. Just look at MN last year, leading the league in sacks yet they had a secondary full of clowns who struggled miserably. Griffin's issue is an extreme lack of athleticism and his two knee injuries dont help. His flaws were hidden playing in a Cover 2 scheme, if he is asked to play any man coverage, it wont be pretty.

I just see the Redskins making the playoffs as a big long shot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: