Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Some things I'd like to discuss
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 Trophies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Some things I'd like to discuss Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am a new member and this is my first post. I live and breath the Dallas Cowboys like I'm sure allot of you also do. I have been a fan for over 30 years and there are two major issues I'd like to open up for discussion.

1. When are we going to find a coaching staff that puts an emphasis on penalties? Not since the Chan Gailey era has this team gotten through a game without a significant number of penalties or at least a few major ones that always seem to be game changers. I feel like I've been watching the Oakland Raiders for the last 12 years.

2. It worries me how Murry runs to contact every time he touches the ball. I watched all his runs replayed today and every time he had a chance to juke a single defender and gain more yards, he instead chooses to slam into them and cause punishment to himself and the defender! I think he can be the next great back for the Boys but his style will get him hurt every year and he will be done in 4 years due to the toll it takes on his body.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Some things I'd like to discuss Reply with quote

5 Trophies wrote:
Hello everyone, I am a new member and this is my first post. I live and breath the Dallas Cowboys like I'm sure allot of you also do. I have been a fan for over 30 years and there are two major issues I'd like to open up for discussion.

1. When are we going to find a coaching staff that puts an emphasis on penalties? Not since the Chan Gailey era has this team gotten through a game without a significant number of penalties or at least a few major ones that always seem to be game changers. I feel like I've been watching the Oakland Raiders for the last 12 years.

2. It worries me how Murry runs to contact every time he touches the ball. I watched all his runs replayed today and every time he had a chance to juke a single defender and gain more yards, he instead chooses to slam into them and cause punishment to himself and the defender! I think he can be the next great back for the Boys but his style will get him hurt every year and he will be done in 4 years due to the toll it takes on his body.

Agreed on both points. 13 penalties is ridiculous. Championship teams limit their mistakes and don't beat themselves. Bill Parcells couldn't change it and Garrett hasn't it changed it. Even bringing refs to monitor practices hasn't helped. At this point, it's a cultural thing with the Cowboys.

I also worry about Murray, but I also love watching him play that way. It's a double edged sword. You don't want him to play not to get injured, yet you also don't want him to seek out contact the way he does. I will say this much, I think Murray completely changes the dynamic of the cowboys from a finesse team to a physical team. He was pounding the giants and laying people out. I'm sure Blackburn is still feeling the thumping Murray put on him. I don't want him to lose his edge but I'd like to see him play it a little safer as well.

mco65

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, i don't know what can be done about the penalties. I think the players need to take that issue upon themselves. The pre-snap penalties are the ones that irk me the most and should be the ones that are easiest to clean up but for some reason, the Cowboys have not done so! Sad

As for Murray and running hard, I think its just a matter of time before he realizes that his body can't take the constant punishment. He's still a young player trying to prove his worth and I think once he gets comfortable with his role and status with the team he will begin to think about staying healthy and surely some of the players and coaches will point it out to him.

In the interim I think the coaches need to keep an eye on his touches and keep it under 20 a game if possible at least for the foreseeable future.
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Some things I'd like to discuss Reply with quote

5 Trophies wrote:

5 Trophies, welcome to the forum. Be sure and sign the Guest Book.

I agree with both your points. If we can somehow limit our penalties, this could be a really good football team. As for Murray, I love/hate the way he seeks contact. It is nice to have someone run like he's mad at the defense, but he needs to learn when to avoid contact.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
BryantSyndrom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Some things I'd like to discuss Reply with quote

5 Trophies wrote:

1. I cant remember a time when we havnt been penalty ridden. The penalties that kill me are the holding calls or pre snap calls. and ill agree with you on that. Oakland Raiders, seemingly went from black to blue...smh

2. I looooove the way murray runs. hes like a childs toy train. small and powerful. Buuuut the way i look at it around midseason he will be looking to avoid contact rather than deciding to run people over. it will begin to take toll on him around that time in the season.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome 5!

#1. I wish i had an answer for the penalties...they mostly seem to me mental errors...false starts...delay of game...illegal shifts...off sides...these are the penalties that just kill drives. These penalties need to be taken care of by the individual. Now the holding calls...hands to the face...personal fouls (any) and pass interference type penalties are all technique type and the coaching staff needs to take blame for this. One call that i just hate is the block in the back on kickoffs.

#2. I agree with u on the Murray looking for contact. One play where he bounced outside and picked up a first down because he stayed in bounds and took on 3 defenders. Classic run where Felix would of stepped out and missed the 1st down. So that was nice to see. Then on the play where Murray had the 48 yd run it seemed like it might of been able to score if he just would of let Bryant block for him but instead in cut inside to take on the defenders. That one kind of baffled me. But at this point ill take everything he gives the team and not change a thing. Its nice to see him run and play football the way it was ment to be played.

Peace
Lazyking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre snap penalties drive me crazy.. The rest, as long as its not unsportsmanlike I can live with.

As for Murray, it's hard to change who a back is. They're out on the field and when they get the ball, it's their show. I hope he realizes he can last longer if he's smart about where he runs and when it's a good time to run someone over.
5 Trophies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see you guys understand where I'm coming from with my concerns. I think penalties are a direct reflection on the couching staff and they are the only ones who can change it. Other than the horse collar penalty by Tyron Smith which saved a TD, the rest were all just mental mistakes that will cost us games this year just like every year. Something has to be done or they will not win trophy #6.

I love watching DM run also but I'd like to watch him run for 10 years and help us get to the show and not just look to put defenders and himself on IR.
There was one play in particular that is standing out at me when he had open field in front of him but for 1 defender. The defender fell to his knees with DM still 3-4 yards away and he could have just ran around him but instead chose to dive forward and put the hit on him. Maybe DM should try out for linebacker. Rolling Eyes
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't recall exactly but the state I saw went back to the Parcells years to 2010 I think and had us 2nd to only Oakland for most penalties.

Unacceptable

Sig courtesy of mack.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought this up during the game, but having Cook thrown in as a starter after a limited number of practice reps was going to lead some issues as he still didn't know the correct cadence, which is why we saw Romo making so many adjustments at the line.

Give these guys a full week of practice together and I'd expect to see the number of false starts reduced against Seattle.

^^^Deadpulse
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murray needs to be selective when he seeks "to initiate" the contact. Sometimes its ok to step out of bounds. But if you needs that extra yard for a first down you drop those shoulders with head up and drill somebody.
DEZ88PLAYMAKER2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome 5

Thanks for the sig mike23md
DaBoys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually going to start a thread in the off season titled "Don't Get Use to DeMarco Murray"

I think he will be great but if you're looking for him to be our back for the next 8-10 years look again. The way he runs he will be effective in the league 5 - 6 years tops.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Some things I'd like to discuss Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
5 Trophies wrote:

Agreed on both points. 13 penalties is ridiculous. Championship teams limit their mistakes and don't beat themselves. Bill Parcells couldn't change it and Garrett hasn't it changed it. Even bringing refs to monitor practices hasn't helped. At this point, it's a cultural thing with the Cowboys.

I also worry about Murray, but I also love watching him play that way. It's a double edged sword. You don't want him to play not to get injured, yet you also don't want him to seek out contact the way he does. I will say this much, I think Murray completely changes the dynamic of the cowboys from a finesse team to a physical team. He was pounding the giants and laying people out. I'm sure Blackburn is still feeling the thumping Murray put on him. I don't want him to lose his edge but I'd like to see him play it a little safer as well.

I don't agree with the idea that Murray is running to hard. In fact I think he runs extremely smart for a RB. Like Emmitt smart when he's running. Watch him closer, you see at the beginning of the play he avoids contact at all possible when trying to let him line set up the holes for him. The after a half a second or more he then chooses the best option and barrels through it trying to gain as much yards as possible. He is a very no nonsense runner that is just trying to get things done.

Yea he does run hard. But it's because he wants to finish hard. Not because he is trying to run over people like Barber used too.

Murray gets by mostly on his ability to find holes and shoot through them as best he can. And within the year that I have watched him he has IMO has established himself as one of the smarter ball carriers in the NFL. And that includes all skill positions. He looks for holes, he does not try to make them.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than half of the penalties were mental lapses. I think Tyron had 3 false starts, but it was JPP on the opposite end. The false starts will be worked on and I think will be eliminated. What I didn't see was a whole lot of defensive penalties, which was great.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: