Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

new cb addition
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BigSnack


Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 714
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: new cb addition Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6589/demarcus-van-dyke

we'll see i guess
_________________
Dook wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:
What was his injury last season that forced him to miss 5 games?


Yeast infection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
at23steelers


Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 3721
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastest CB at combine and a 3rd round pick. Interested to see what he can do!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigSnack


Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 714
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

his measurables are very similar to taylors when he was drafted. i dont know much about him though
_________________
Dook wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:
What was his injury last season that forced him to miss 5 games?


Yeast infection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ward4HOF


Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He couldn't make the Raiders with a not-so-stellar DB corps, so I'm not really expecting much from this signing.

Ah well, worth a shot, right? Can't teach speed, I guess!

EDIT:

Who did we cut in order to sign him...anyone know?

POST-EDIT:
From NFL.com draft analysis:

"Van Dyke is a developmental sub-package defensive back prospect due to his track speed and height. Can do some good things in deep coverage and can recover but isn't sound in zone or underneath man coverage. Can make some plays on the ball but isn't going to rack up the interceptions. Is not physical when coming up to support the run. Isn't comfortable playing in a crowd but does break down well in space. Van Dyke was a dual-sport athlete at Miami (track) and has worked hard on the gridiron but only carries a mid-to-late round grade."

Why did we sign him, exactly? He's like the "anti-Steeler" DB...maybe they got it wrong?!? Confused
_________________


Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!


Last edited by Ward4HOF on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24999
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish i could read what this is about without having to open the link......
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigSnack


Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 714
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Wish i could read what this is about without having to open the link......


your right it is so much faster to complain about it than click the link
_________________
Dook wrote:
D.Revis24 wrote:
What was his injury last season that forced him to miss 5 games?


Yeast infection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jcm412


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 3459
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
He couldn't make the Raiders with a not-so-stellar DB corps, so I'm not really expecting much from this signing.

Ah well, worth a shot, right? Can't teach speed, I guess!

EDIT:

Who did we cut in order to sign him...anyone know?

POST-EDIT:
From NFL.com draft analysis:

"Van Dyke is a developmental sub-package defensive back prospect due to his track speed and height. Can do some good things in deep coverage and can recover but isn't sound in zone or underneath man coverage. Can make some plays on the ball but isn't going to rack up the interceptions. Is not physical when coming up to support the run. Isn't comfortable playing in a crowd but does break down well in space. Van Dyke was a dual-sport athlete at Miami (track) and has worked hard on the gridiron but only carries a mid-to-late round grade."

Why did we sign him, exactly? He's like the "anti-Steeler" DB...maybe they got it wrong?!? Confused


Low risk high reward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
at23steelers


Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 3721
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 6'1'' and runs a 4.28 40. Enough said!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24999
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigSnack wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Wish i could read what this is about without having to open the link......


your right it is so much faster to complain about it than click the link



It is when the website is.hard to read on my droid...

But figure more I mention it more future OPs will take the 2 seconds it takes to quote the main point of the article.
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rollins


Joined: 19 Dec 2010
Posts: 646
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this type of move. We bring a guy who has elite physical tools but needs a lot of coaching. I would like to see what he can become with C. Lake breaking him down and starting from scratch. With him being our 5th CB he will be able to do that because the guy is most likely just going to be a ST player this year unless we really get beat up in the secondary. Who knows maybe next year come pre season we actually have something. Worth a shot right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8209
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is insurance while Golden and Brown heal.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MightyJoeYoung


Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 2942
Location: Wakefield, England
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has special teamer written all over it to me
_________________


Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dante9876


Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 21608
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
This has special teamer written all over it to me


He sucks at special teams.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MightyJoeYoung


Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 2942
Location: Wakefield, England
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:
This has special teamer written all over it to me


He sucks at special teams.

Even gunning on punts?
_________________


Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8209
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD is tall (6'0) but light (180). He is allergic to tackling. So much to that he was taken out of games in college ( the U) because their run defense was getting gashed and he is a liability.

Do I think a HOF CB for a coordinator and an all-pro S/CB for a position coach can coach him up? Yep. Do I think he will be anything other than a 4th CB in this league? Nope.

And he is still PS eligible.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group