Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KVB Restructures Contract - Opportunity to Speculate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I read on bleacher report (I know) that we added two void able years to KVBs contract to spread the signing bonus over that time. So it's pretty much 1.5 mil of a hit the next three years.

Holy cow. Pure genius.

Didn't really think you could get away with that, but considering one would expect him to retire before the end of that, we would never get the big hit if voided.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
I read on bleacher report (I know) that we added two void able years to KVBs contract to spread the signing bonus over that time. So it's pretty much 1.5 mil of a hit the next three years.

Holy cow. Pure genius.

Didn't really think you could get away with that, but considering one would expect him to retire before the end of that, we would never get the big hit if voided.

Yeah, if true, that's great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Holy cow. Pure genius.

Right, talk about taking one for the team. Literally. Dude's delaying guaranteed money he could get right now just so a team he might not even be a part of will be better-off next year or the year after.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Holy cow. Pure genius.

Right, talk about taking one for the team. Literally. Dude's delaying guaranteed money he could get right now just so a team he might not even be a part of will be better-off next year or the year after.

No, he gets all the money now, it's just shifted to signing bonus instead of base salary. A signing bonus can be equally allocated over the life of the contract even though the money was given up front.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Holy cow. Pure genius.

No, he gets all the money now, it's just shifted to signing bonus instead of base salary. A signing bonus can be equally allocated over the life of the contract even though the money was given up front.

I think RF is referring to how it was prorated over the next few years. If he divided it as said above, he could miss out on $3M of it (in theory). He received the full $5M amount for this year.

Unless I'm understanding it wrong.

Team Stylish
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Holy cow. Pure genius.

I think RF is referring to how it was prorated over the next few years. If he divided it as said above, he could miss out on $3M of it (in theory). He received the full $5M amount for this year.

No, I'm just being dumb.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
You ween bag, beat me to it Mad

... ut in da?

my own catch phrase Very Happy. You don't wanna be a part of my "ween bag" doghouse...

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Holy cow. Pure genius.

No, I'm just being dumb.

Well, you may have (accidentally) had a point: if he's pushing some of the prorated amount to future years, and gets released the year prior, he misses out on that amount. So, instead of receiving $4.3M next year, he's opting to receive $1.5M in 2013, $1.5M in 2014 and the rest ($1.3ishM) in 2015. If we release him before 2013, we're only on the hook for the first $1.5M.

Just say you meant that. (Unless I'm wrong... then distance yourself from the idea completely.)

Team Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Holy cow. Pure genius.

No, I'm just being dumb.

Well, you may have (accidentally) had a point: if he's pushing some of the prorated amount to future years, and gets released the year prior, he misses out on that amount. So, instead of receiving $4.3M next year, he's opting to receive $1.5M in 2013, $1.5M in 2014 and the rest ($1.3ishM) in 2015. If we release him before 2013, we're only on the hook for the first $1.5M.

Just say you meant that. (Unless I'm wrong... then distance yourself from the idea completely.)

Signing bonus is guaranteed money. He will get it all up front and it will count against our cap the next three years, even of he is cut. But it will all be paid this year so he has no chance of losing the money at all. It's just a way to spread it over future years. But we are on the hook for all of it (may not count against the cap if he retires, I don't know that rule).

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Signing bonus is guaranteed money. He will get it all up front and it will count against our cap the next three years, even of he is cut. But it will all be paid this year so he has no chance of losing the money at all. It's just a way to spread it over future years. But we are on the hook for all of it (may not count against the cap if he retires, I don't know that rule).

Yeah. Crap. The part in bold is exactly what I'm referring to: saving the cap hit, knowing he probably wont be here. I knew he received it all in the form of a bonus right now.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: