Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JR Sweezy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grasspike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: JR Sweezy Reply with quote

I'm a big NC State fan and I just read this morning that JR Sweezy will start at guard for the opener. I thought he had potential, but I didn't think he would be that good that quickly. Can I get some thoughts on how good he was during the preseason? Did he earn the spot or kind of get slotted there by default?

Sig by matthouston91
imani

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: JR Sweezy Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
I'm a big NC State fan and I just read this morning that JR Sweezy will start at guard for the opener. I thought he had potential, but I didn't think he would be that good that quickly. Can I get some thoughts on how good he was during the preseason? Did he earn the spot or kind of get slotted there by default?

He honestly earned it. He has great physicality and strength at the guard position, especially in the run game. He's beating out some veterans for this spot. It's not like he had elite competition, but he's a 7th round draft pick and converted DT...it's not like we had pressure to play him. He's definitely earned it to this point. He needs to work on pass pro, but so do all rookie guards. He has an uphill battle ahead of him, and might be on a short leash...but obviously there is nothing but positives so far

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
JOEJOE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: JR Sweezy Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

He honestly earned it. He has great physicality and strength at the guard position, especially in the run game. He's beating out some veterans for this spot. It's not like he had elite competition, but he's a 7th round draft pick and converted DT...it's not like we had pressure to play him. He's definitely earned it to this point. He needs to work on pass pro, but so do all rookie guards. He has an uphill battle ahead of him, and might be on a short leash...but obviously there is nothing but positives so far

+1

He earned every bit of the starting job, and the glowing reports that came out of camp showed a testament to his Smarts & Raw Athletic Ability..... and he is a little behind on the pass-pro but that will come in time.

Bruce Irvin= Sacks: 4-1/2, Tackles: 5, FF: 1

Golden Tate= Rec: 10, Yds: 144, Avg: 14.4, TD: 3
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC said it best when asked, "Who has made the biggest impact that most people may not know?"

JR. Sweezy.

"We all we got, we all we need"
hdshot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's proving might be another new way to find players for the o-line so teams don't have to use high draft picks for them when possible.
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: JR Sweezy Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:

I liked Sweezy coming out of college, but as a D-Lineman. I was skeptical about the change of positions, but he has really taken to it. Given how quickly he has adapted to the change, this guy has loads of potential and God knows, the Seahawks could use depth on the O-Line. It seems like every season, we deal with more injuries to guys along the O-Line, than most teams.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about Sweezy is that he has not bad habits. I'm sure it was incredibly frustrating at times for Cable, but he's got sculpt Sweezy exactly how he wants him to be.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Grasspike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear all the good stuff about Sweezy. He was a great athlete and probably the most physical player on our defense the past couple of years. He is also the definition of meathead. He has an attitude that you love if he's on your team and hate if he's on another (kind of like Brian Cushing.)

Unfortunately, like with Cushing there were PED rumors and he had a reputation for being hard to handle. I hope he can put those things in the past and succeed in the NFL, and I think he's a guy that loves football enough to do that.

Sig by matthouston91
Tooki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
The great thing about Sweezy is that he has not bad habits. I'm sure it was incredibly frustrating at times for Cable, but he's got sculpt Sweezy exactly how he wants him to be.

That's the good thing about taking on a player who hasn't played the position before. The 'right way' is the only way that he will learn. It's not like trying to teach Tim Tebow how to throw properly Laughing

And cheers for the insight Grasspike. Sweezy won't have the chance to mess around with Tom Cable. He also seems like a Cable kind of guy. I'm hoping that he can grow into the position as a raw prospect much like Sherm was last season.

And damn, having two angry blokes like Breno and Sweezy next to each other sounds bloody great to me.
TheDudeAbides

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who picked him in that whole "Adopt a Hawk Draft" thinger?

Oh, that's right... some brilliant prognosticating Dude...

Cool

TommyC376 on the Sig
Str8Wreckin08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdshot wrote:
He's proving might be another new way to find players for the o-line so teams don't have to use high draft picks for them when possible.

Your a genious. thas why I love Pete Carrol.

He's inovative. He's giving me that Bill Walsh vibe

Devensive tackels are already agresive and quick and strong. Put him at guard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: