Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you trade Long to Steelers for Wallace??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deets

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long everyday. I remember what it was like when we had to make do with crap at tackle. Hell, if Long walks after this season then I'm going to become this regime's worst enemy.

FF Member #67
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that a few have answered, I was asked this question by a Steelers fan from work, and I told him no. I said Wallace is a great WR but not the best in the NFL. Long is the Best in the NFL, I told him if it was Wallace and a 2nd maybe, Wallace and a 2nd that could become a 1st then yea I would probably do it. (but Steelers arent going to do that.

I will say this if we arent going to sign Jake, to a long term deal, then we do need to move him before week 6.

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats Week-6)
60.8% CMP - 1133 yards -8 TD's - 5 INT's - 81.2 Rat
Manic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no rush to sign him this year as we can still tag him and trade him in the off season or rent him again for a year

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manic wrote:
no rush to sign him this year as we can still tag him and trade him in the off season or rent him again for a year

Logically, that would give Long ample time to adjust to the system as best he probably ever would allowing us the maximum time to 'decide' on his situation with the team as well as provide the possibility of getting something large in return for him as a tagged player if someone offered. It would also allow Martin a couple years to adjust to playing NFL-level football and make his replacing Long at LT an honest possibility.

It would be financially less-than-desirable but it could work. I think the coaches will know by the end of this year whether or not they want to stick with Long however. I'm sure that Long's agent will be discussing with Ireland what Jake's going to want in terms of years and dollars.

We should know by the end of this year whether keeping Jake Long is the best thing or not.
Clutch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupidest idea EVER!! Other teams are laughing at you for wanting to trade one of the top 3 LT's in the game. LAUGHING AT YOU!!!!

Very few can do what Jake can do. That is a fact. If there were more players that could do it, it wouldn't be such a sought after position.

2nd, if you want to evaluate Tannehill; evaluate him standing up. Not on his back or on IR.

3rd, what is with some posters wanting to trade our best players? We are already blowing this thing up. We will already be picking top 2-3 FOR SURE. We don't need to go looking for a LT, an elite one at that, too.

Give your gawd dang heads a shake. Money is not a factor for this team. There is other fat you can cut. You don't need to cut/trade your best player!!!

One Rams fan I spoke too said, if I had Jake, I would use him until his shoulders fell off or his knees gave out. - That is a telling statement. This mentality of grabbing a player or picks and them becoming sure fire stars is a pipe dream. Picks very rarely work out and even more rare do they become All Pro. Think about that. This isn't Madden.

This is a franchise that is in the depths of the NFL and needs great players. They don't need to take chances on players, they need great players. Stop gettting rid of the great players and you will watch your team elevate from the bottom of the league. Pretty easy formula. Stars win games. Stars bring prominence to your team. Stars win championships.

Now figure out how to get Wallace or some other WR WITHOUT giving up one of your best assets. Only then will this team become legit and not one of the laughing stocks of the league.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
Stupidest idea EVER!! Other teams are laughing at you for wanting to trade one of the top 3 LT's in the game. LAUGHING AT YOU!!!!

Very few can do what Jake can do. That is a fact. If there were more players that could do it, it wouldn't be such a sought after position.

2nd, if you want to evaluate Tannehill; evaluate him standing up. Not on his back or on IR.

3rd, what is with some posters wanting to trade our best players? We are already blowing this thing up. We will already be picking top 2-3 FOR SURE. We don't need to go looking for a LT, an elite one at that, too.

Give your gawd dang heads a shake. Money is not a factor for this team. There is other fat you can cut. You don't need to cut/trade your best player!!!

One Rams fan I spoke too said, if I had Jake, I would use him until his shoulders fell off or his knees gave out. - That is a telling statement. This mentality of grabbing a player or picks and them becoming sure fire stars is a pipe dream. Picks very rarely work out and even more rare do they become All Pro. Think about that. This isn't Madden.

This is a franchise that is in the depths of the NFL and needs great players. They don't need to take chances on players, they need great players. Stop gettting rid of the great players and you will watch your team elevate from the bottom of the league. Pretty easy formula. Stars win games. Stars bring prominence to your team. Stars win championships.

Now figure out how to get Wallace or some other WR WITHOUT giving up one of your best assets. Only then will this team become legit and not one of the laughing stocks of the league.

relax ... in through the nose and out through the mouth. No you don't trade Long for this WR straight up. And maybe this trade jake long ship has sailed, but why post as if the possibility of you being wrong is so slim.

Ever notice that the top LTs in the NFL play on some of the worst teams. Left Tackle in today's passing league does not have to have Jake's skill set. JAke Long's value is in the run game. He's a mauling run blocker in every sense of the word. He becomes average to slightly above average when asked to zone block. And most importantly he's being paid pre CBA, 1st pick overall money on a team with needs in many areas. We can't afford him. He's a waiter's Mercedes Benz. And we could have traded in that Benz for a couple of F150s and a cadillac.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
phinmun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Clutch wrote:

relax ... in through the nose and out through the mouth. No you don't trade Long for this WR straight up. And maybe this trade jake long ship has sailed, but why post as if the possibility of you being wrong is so slim.

Ever notice that the top LTs in the NFL play on some of the worst teams. Left Tackle in today's passing league does not have to have Jake's skill set. JAke Long's value is in the run game. He's a mauling run blocker in every sense of the word. He becomes average to slightly above average when asked to zone block. And most importantly he's being paid pre CBA, 1st pick overall money on a team with needs in many areas. We can't afford him. He's a waiter's Mercedes Benz. And we could have traded in that Benz for a couple of F150s and a cadillac.

And this waiter is helping his good-for-nothing brother move out next week so....yeah, how about those F150s?

Haha...nicely put D.
Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:

Calm down and breath now, if u would read the whole thing, I said a co worker asked me this question, I wanted to see how many people would said yes, AMD I can say I wasn't disappointed.

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats Week-6)
60.8% CMP - 1133 yards -8 TD's - 5 INT's - 81.2 Rat
Clutch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
Clutch wrote:

Calm down and breath now, if u would read the whole thing, I said a co worker asked me this question, I wanted to see how many people would said yes, AMD I can say I wasn't disappointed.

Its not directly at you, its at every FinFan that ever notions trading Jake. You wonder why this franchise, and its fanbase, are stuck in reverse/neutral (at best), because of this.

We haven't even seen Jake play a full season in this style of offense and we can justify saying he will be above average??? Okay and I have some magic beans for sale, PM me for the good price.

If you just look at what is being posted by some:

Trade Jake, get a 1st and 3rd, then it can be justified. WRONG!!

I bet 1/2 of the first round picks are busts in 3 years, so some are willing to take that chance.......because a 3rd rounder was added to the offer. Whoopty doo. May as well trade Tannehill for a 2nd cause he is just getting older......

You want a car analogy. Here it is. You have the Maserati, but Kia is comign out with a new sports car and it saves you alot of money on gas. At the end of the day, you would still own a Kia. (not meant to offend Kia owners) So now you can go to the dog and pony show in your 'Kia Sports Car' and people will chuckle at you. Lets just settle for the 20th best car cause we saved some money. (sounds like a movie involving a van and a scooter to me)

Again, we aren't up against the cap. We don't need to cut/trade our best player. We have nobody that is going to break the bank, besides Jake. There aren't any better FA's that are going to give you better production. Those players will be franchised by their current employer, because they are good players.

The funny part is, some of these same fans actually think Ireland should be fired. Yet if you did this 'fantasy trade' as the Fins GM, you would never have another job in the NFL. Easy to sit on the sidelines questioning every move.

Ever notice that in Madden no matter who you trade/draft/sign, they always work out for your franchise. Well this is the truth, that ain't reality. Those things don't work out in the real NFL. And until this fanbase understands that this is a talent acquisition league and you keep your best players, regardless. We will never get to where we want to be. And that my friends is the truth.

Finally, look at NE. Every year they seem to have all these picks available. Yet they still have some major holes. Brady covers them up nicely but this team has consistently had picks to spare and have burned through them with mediocre talent. I would bet that if you go back 3-4 years they don't have more than 2-3 players from each of those drafts. Just a guess. But my point is that picks don't neccessarily mean stars.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
Dolphinemidget wrote:
Clutch wrote:

Its not directly at you, its at every FinFan that ever notions trading Jake. You wonder why this franchise, and its fanbase, are stuck in reverse/neutral (at best), because of this.

We haven't even seen Jake play a full season in this style of offense and we can justify saying he will be above average??? Okay and I have some magic beans for sale, PM me for the good price.

I bet 1/2 of the first round picks are busts in 3 years, so some are willing to take that chance.......because a 3rd rounder was added to the offer. Whoopty doo. May as well trade Tannehill for a 2nd cause he is just getting older......

You want a car analogy. Here it is. You have the Maserati, but Kia is comign out with a new sports car and it saves you alot of money on gas. At the end of the day, you would still own a Kia. (not meant to offend Kia owners) So now you can go to the dog and pony show in your 'Kia Sports Car' and people will chuckle at you. Lets just settle for the 20th best car cause we saved some money. (sounds like a movie involving a van and a scooter to me)

Again, we aren't up against the cap. We don't need to cut/trade our best player. We have nobody that is going to break the bank, besides Jake. There aren't any better FA's that are going to give you better production. Those players will be franchised by their current employer, because they are good players.

The funny part is, some of these same fans actually think Ireland should be fired. Yet if you did this 'fantasy trade' as the Fins GM, you would never have another job in the NFL. Easy to sit on the sidelines questioning every move.

Ever notice that in Madden no matter who you trade/draft/sign, they always work out for your franchise. Well this is the truth, that ain't reality. Those things don't work out in the real NFL. And until this fanbase understands that this is a talent acquisition league and you keep your best players, regardless. We will never get to where we want to be. And that my friends is the truth.

Finally, look at NE. Every year they seem to have all these picks available. Yet they still have some major holes. Brady covers them up nicely but this team has consistently had picks to spare and have burned through them with mediocre talent. I would bet that if you go back 3-4 years they don't have more than 2-3 players from each of those drafts. Just a guess. But my point is that picks don't neccessarily mean stars.

you are not thinking about this from every angle. combine that with this "passion" you have and ..........

How many Jason Taylor's and Zach Thomas' do you want suiting up for the phins in your life time ? How many great players with no rings ?

You don't win superbowls by getting an all pro at every position. Once you have implemented a system you get players that fit that system. You balance your roster with the cap in mind and a plan for how you spread it over 53 salaries. Consider everything. The way I see it, for a team that hasn't won squat in 20+ years NOBODY is untouchable.

WHAT KEEPS US IN THIS POSITION IS BLAMING COACHES INSTEAD OF TALENT LEVEL FOR UNACCEPTABLE SEASONS.

To me you only fire a coach if players tune him out or if you have playoff talent with no playoff appearances.
But we implement new systems every 3 years, without the talent to justify it. And we don't even have the discipline god gave a fly to understand that an overhaul may have to come with a one, two or 3 win season.

You build football teams through the draft. That's how the Giants did it. That's how the Packers did it. That's how the Patriots did it. And that is why the Jets will NEVER do it. Because they take the FA shortcut. And we've been trading draft picks for "players" and all of our trade partners are doing better than us. (maybe not the vikings)

If you don't know the nuances of offensive line play that's cool. I'm slowly learning it myself. But I do know that systems play a big part and Jake Long's forte is not the ideal fit for this offense. In this offense he is overpaid. He will walk and we will receive nothing for him.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Clutch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Clutch wrote:
Dolphinemidget wrote:
Clutch wrote:

you are not thinking about this from every angle. combine that with this "passion" you have and ..........

How many Jason Taylor's and Zach Thomas' do you want suiting up for the phins in your life time ? How many great players with no rings ?

You don't win superbowls by getting an all pro at every position. Once you have implemented a system you get players that fit that system. You balance your roster with the cap in mind and a plan for how you spread it over 53 salaries. Consider everything. The way I see it, for a team that hasn't won squat in 20+ years NOBODY is untouchable.

WHAT KEEPS US IN THIS POSITION IS BLAMING COACHES INSTEAD OF TALENT LEVEL FOR UNACCEPTABLE SEASONS.

To me you only fire a coach if players tune him out or if you have playoff talent with no playoff appearances.
But we implement new systems every 3 years, without the talent to justify it. And we don't even have the discipline god gave a fly to understand that an overhaul may have to come with a one, two or 3 win season.

You build football teams through the draft. That's how the Giants did it. That's how the Packers did it. That's how the Patriots did it. And that is why the Jets will NEVER do it. Because they take the FA shortcut. And we've been trading draft picks for "players" and all of our trade partners are doing better than us. (maybe not the vikings)

If you don't know the nuances of offensive line play that's cool. I'm slowly learning it myself. But I do know that systems play a big part and Jake Long's forte is not the ideal fit for this offense. In this offense he is overpaid. He will walk and we will receive nothing for him.

Those three teams have one thing in common. Elite qb play.

The Pats were dominated by the Giants because of the DL/OL play. Why give up that advantage?

Not questioning the way to be successful, but you need to draft/add stars. Especially when you have maybe maybe maybe two right now.

For all this 'mauler' talk that Jake produces, this is his 5th year and we have yet to have a dominant running attack behind Jake. That is just a label attached. He hardly struggles in any situation. I think the only guy that has really owned him is Abraham. He has made the pro bowl 4 times and has yet to have an elite running game, even with Rick and Ron.

Miami will NOT let him walk. The franchise tag on him would be well worth it. He is a top 5 player at his position and should be paid that. Time to pony up the cash for these kinds of players.

And by paying Jake, it is not limiting your spending on your other draft picks/players. He maybe on his rookie deal now, but that is expiring. Miami has to be near the bottom half of the salary cap. And they have guys that are making cash that would be an easier replacement through the draft than a dominant LT.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your evaluation of the position is off. You should look at what was required in the offense that Sparano implemented. Drafting Jake Long was perfect for what they where trying to do. Look at the movement involved in what is the proper technique for that offense. Now do same thing for this offense. Mobility and lateral movement is more of a priority.

You pay players based on expectations, not what they have already done. Yeah he was a top 3 or 5 player at his position, but his job description has changed. And stop acting like a Kia is the only option to a maserati. It makes you sound like a spoiled child.

phinmun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all hinges on how Jake Long plays this season. Is he good? Is he very good? Is he great? Those are the questions we'll be asking.

Long has shown to be one of the hardest workers on the team which is a big part of why he'll be given every chance to prove himself in this system. We need him. He's a professional. At worst he's decent. We have no one better. We don't want to start over again at LT.

There are a lot of reasons why Jake Long will be given every chance in the world. However, if indeed he doesn't play well in this scheme, he'll be a liability at whatever cost and considering we'll be in a bidding war for his play, we'll wind up paying the league's biggest salary to a player who doesn't warrant it.

The simple fact is that if Long can adjust his playing though, it's necessary we re-sign him.

On a scale of 1-10 of OT's in this offense where 1 is horrible, 5 is average and 10 is ideal...Jake Long is right now a what? Maybe a 6? Slightly above average? If he can bring that up to a solid 8 by the end of the season I think we'll give him a big contract. Assuming Long would max out at maybe a 9 on this hypothetical scale, I think it's reasonable to assume to say that some mark slightly below his ultimate potential would be nice to see this season. This is a hard-working dude, so I wouldn't put it past him.

It all depends though. We're talking about maybe this, maybe that right now. Any immediate action which would at least guarantee we got something in return for Jake Long leaving would be a forecast and that's dangerous. We haven't seen enough of Jake Long in practice to forecast that stuff. That's a difficult decision even for a coach who's seen every snap and knows the details we obviously don't.
Judson49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in regard to Clutch's comment about being in "the bottom half of the salary cap", is this true?

I'm certainly no expert in the area of the cap, but I was sure that as of recently the Dolphins had about $4m free under the cap. That doesn't seem a hell of a lot for a team that needs wholesale changes across the board.

I think therefore that for all the reasons that have been mentioned plus cap issues, Jake Long getting tagged would be an extreme luxury for this team.

I could (probably have) got it all wrong, so apologies ahead of time.
Clutch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judson49 wrote:
Just in regard to Clutch's comment about being in "the bottom half of the salary cap", is this true?

I'm certainly no expert in the area of the cap, but I was sure that as of recently the Dolphins had about $4m free under the cap. That doesn't seem a hell of a lot for a team that needs wholesale changes across the board.

I think therefore that for all the reasons that have been mentioned plus cap issues, Jake Long getting tagged would be an extreme luxury for this team.

I could (probably have) got it all wrong, so apologies ahead of time.

I am a spoiled child, I have the best (LT) car on the road, why wouldn't I act that way??

Calling Jake a 6 is a total joke.

Let me put it to you this way. Luxuries are Reggie Bush, Kevin Burnett, Tony Mcdaniel. Neccesseties are Jake Long, Ryan Tannehill, Cameron Wake, Sean Smith. So when you say we only have 4mill under the cap, and we both don't know if this is accurate, there is fat elsewhere to trim before you look at the protector.

Look this offensive line is average at best. You take your best player, on offense, away from it and this becomes a total wreck. For what? To save Reggie Bush? Even Paul Solai. I would much rather have Jake than Big Paul.

So to say its a luxury, sure if you have Marshall and Jennings on the outsie with Finley running down the seam. Or Haden and Patrick Willis manning the defense. But we don't have that. There maybe one other guy that you would take on a good team from the Fins and that would be Wake. You could make a case for Smith but other than that, most teams don't want what is on this roster.

IF I am gutting and rebuilding this thing, I start with Jake, Ryan T, Thomas (maybe), Pouncey and Egnew (hes a rook, I'll cut him some slack).
Wake, Odrick, Solai, Vernon, Shelby, Jones, Smith. After that, the rest can go. Yes even Bess. Not enough speed to create any mismatches. That is what the game is about, he has great hands, but just can't create big plays.

Anyone else who is playing with a big contract, gone. Save the money for young players or 2nd contract free agents. This team is a wreck and dumping Jake isn't going to help our prospects of adding Free Agents to want to play here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: